What’s the most important part of macro nutrition?

Options
As a newbie to calculating & tracking macros I could use tips from others. I’m trying to build lean muscle so not sure if I should focus on cutting or bulking strategies? There’s quite a variance in calories recommended for each and I’m worried if I split the difference that I’ll get minimal results. Do I cut then bulk? Vice versa? Help me! lol

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Bulking is gaining weight, cutting is losing weight. Which one is right for you depends at least on your basic stats - height, weight, estimated body fat %.

Macros are mostly personal preference, but I'd say most here focus on protein first.

More specific info about where you are and where you want to go will probably necessary to get the kind of help you're looking for. :drinker:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Well, if your goal is to try to build muscle, you want to bulk. But I agree with @kimny72 that more information about your stats and long-term and short-term goals would probably be helpful, because you sound like you're starting from a relatively limited understanding about the issues involved here (I don't mean to be rude -- I think you recognize that, and it's why you're asking for help).

For instance, you say you want to build "lean muscle." Muscle itself is lean. It can be marbled with or covered with fat, but any muscle you build will itself be lean mass. Did you have something specific in mind when you described what you want as "lean" muscle? Are you aiming for some specific BF (body fat) percentage?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As a newbie to calculating & tracking macros I could use tips from others. I’m trying to build lean muscle so not sure if I should focus on cutting or bulking strategies? There’s quite a variance in calories recommended for each and I’m worried if I split the difference that I’ll get minimal results. Do I cut then bulk? Vice versa? Help me! lol

What are your current stats?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    • Look up (google) the recommended minimums of protein and fat for your weight/ideal weight/lean body mass, and make sure you are regularly getting at least that.
    • Read the stickies in the bodybuilding forum if you are not already doing a strength training program, since you are interested in building muscle.
    • Whether to cut/bulk/maintain (ie how many total net calories) will depend on your current stats and goals. (if overweight, you probably want a deficit).