Peloton App Strength Classes

Options
Hello all!

So right now, I’m doing StrongLifts 5x5 with my husband. The problem I’m having is that our work schedules really only let us work out 2x a week. I’m well aware that this is less than optimal. He hasn’t exercised regularly since he got out of the army...in 97, so I’m being gentle and not waking him up after 4 hours of sleep on those other 5 days. I don’t want to just do a 3rd day without him, because then we won’t be on the same workout. We have a home gym, and only one bar. It’s already a PIA to swap plates back and forth because I’m squatting considerably more than he is.

I pay for the Peloton app, no bike yet, and cycle 3-4 days when he can’t lift with me. I noticed a strength training program in the app and was wondering if anyone had used it and what they thought? I know I’m not going to get much in 10 minutes, compared to the 90 minutes I spend on SL, but is something better than nothing here on those 5 “off” days? Happy to know what everybody thinks. Thank you!

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

So right now, I’m doing StrongLifts 5x5 with my husband. The problem I’m having is that our work schedules really only let us work out 2x a week. I’m well aware that this is less than optimal. He hasn’t exercised regularly since he got out of the army...in 97, so I’m being gentle and not waking him up after 4 hours of sleep on those other 5 days. I don’t want to just do a 3rd day without him, because then we won’t be on the same workout. We have a home gym, and only one bar. It’s already a PIA to swap plates back and forth because I’m squatting considerably more than he is.

I pay for the Peloton app, no bike yet, and cycle 3-4 days when he can’t lift with me. I noticed a strength training program in the app and was wondering if anyone had used it and what they thought? I know I’m not going to get much in 10 minutes, compared to the 90 minutes I spend on SL, but is something better than nothing here on those 5 “off” days? Happy to know what everybody thinks. Thank you!

it depends on your goals?

those strength training classes are good for novice/beginner types. Those looking for a quick sweat with weights.

their HIIT classes are good for burning fat.

and get the Bike. I have it and its *kitten* amazing.
  • VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think of the Peloton strength classes as "fun" when I can't make it to the gym for whatever reason. That's not to say they're easy but they're not structured so doing a shoulders/back 10 minute with instructor A will be different from doing it with instructor B, etc.

I believe the 10 min classes were developed so they could be taken on top of other workouts (or other strength/core workouts) - so you could definitely get in more than 10 minutes if that is what you are looking for. It's not going to do a ton for you but wouldn't hurt.

I also second getting the bike - best ridiculous purchase I ever made...
  • EmmieEatsEverything
    Options
    I’m getting a raise in February and I plan on buying it then! For now I’m ball-parking the metrics since my cheap sunny fitness bike doesn’t record cadence and I’ve no idea if what I think is 40-60 resistance is actually anywhere near it. I’m loving the classes, the bike is super pricy though and I definitely need to hold off on that. Thanks for all the input.
  • cathyloufit
    cathyloufit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For your sunny bike you can get a Wahoo cadence counter. It is strapped to your pedal. It connects to you iPhone or tablet with the app Wahoo fitness and shows your cadence. Works well.