Fibre supplement and water intake

Options
I am having difficulty in meeting daily fibre need. I am going to give it a try to BENEFIBER. I decided to go with this supplement based on other forum discussions and online research. However, many people complainer about constipation after fibre supplement intake. People in other forum gave insights on necessity of adequate water intake after having supplement. I drink atleast 60 oz of water most of the days. Each serving size is 3 gm fibre(1 tsp of supplement). How much water must be ingested with each serving to avoid constipation or bloating effect?

Regards,
Pradnya

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    That sounds like something that's going to require personal experimentation.

I take 2 caplets of Citrucel two times per day and drink 10-16 fl oz of water each time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    3 grams of fiber isn't a lot.

I get about 30 grams of fiber per day and I drink probably 60-100 ounces of liquid plus all the fruits, dairy and vegetables I eat which also have some liquid.

I'm 140 pounds, so I shoot for half my weight in ounces of water. 140/2=70 ounces of water or other liquid.
  • Prady2012
    Prady2012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I get about 30 grams of fiber per day and I drink probably 60-100 ounces of liquid plus all the fruits, dairy and vegetables I eat which also have some liquid.

I'm 140 pounds, so I shoot for half my weight in ounces of water. 140/2=70 ounces of water or other liquid.

So weight/2 is the ideal size of water intake?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Prady2012 wrote: »

Drinking enough water so that your urine is a light yellow is a good goal for water intake. That may be a different amount of water from day to day.

jkmq3olas0ms.jpg
  • Prady2012
    Prady2012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Prady2012 wrote: »

Drinking enough water so that your urine is a light yellow is a good goal for water intake. That may be a different amount of water from day to day.

jkmq3olas0ms.jpg

That is chart is helpful. On an average daily i miss 5 to 7 gms of required fibre. I will using supplements to cover those gms. Is there any particular time when we should avoid ingesting fiber supplements?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Besides water, make sure your diet includes enough fats (important for other reasons, too, but one reason is . . . um . . . smooth digestive throughput). Getting the MFP default as a minimum for fats should be OK, or you could look at it as getting a minimum of around 0.35-0.45g daily per pound of healthy goal weight. (You don't have to eat the fats with the benefiber, but make sure you have some fats throughout the day in your regular foods.)

Sometimes people cut fats too much while trying to lose weight, because fats are relatively high in calories (and because there are some old myths about fat intake being bad for you). You need some dietary fats to stay healthy, including digestive health.