Serving size in recipes

Stellamom2018
Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
Is there any easy way to figure out how much (oz or grams) of a recipe that I create? I struggle with making crockpot meals and then figuring out how many calories are in them and how much is a serving. I am making chicken chili tonight and am not sure how to log it for serving size.

1 1/2 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can (15 oz) white or great northern beans
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Green Chiles
1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ Chicken Broth
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 oz low fat cream cheese

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i do a default of 1 serving while its cooking and once the slowcooker is done i weigh the total product (minus the weight of my crockpot insert) and then set serving size to 1oz servings

then its a matter of just weighing out how much you want in your serving and logging that weight as your serving size
  • Prady2012
    Prady2012 Posts: 41 Member
    After cooking i usually measure size of the cooked food. Then i divide the total weight by no. Of people. Then enter each person portion in the app to check nutrients. If looks appropriate to that meal then thats the serving. I am trying to lose weight, so if each person serving has lots of carbs. I will repeat above process by adding one more person i.e 5, which will reduce portion size and thus carbs.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    i do a default of 1 serving while its cooking and once the slowcooker is done i weigh the total product (minus the weight of my crockpot insert) and then set serving size to 1oz servings

then its a matter of just weighing out how much you want in your serving and logging that weight as your serving size

This would have been a great idea this morning so I could have weighed the dish. Darn it
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    My crockpot insert is 6.55lbs - I’m guessing your would be close unless it’s a large c/p

You could always put food into a storage container and weight it that way