Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any chocoholics on here?

Hey everyone☺️! I am pretty new to this and have been sticking to my calorie deficit for 3 weeks now. Although, I am starting to crave chocolate🤪 I have been trying the chocolate fibre one bars once in a while to avoid a chocolate binge, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a healthier alternative?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have chocolate cereal or chocolate drops in my porridge or skinny hot chocolate most days
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Roger. Any food that fits in your calorie budget is suitable for your life. Chocolate is somewhat unique in that there isn't a really suitable substitute for it. There's good chocolate, then there's excellent chocolate. Enjoy it if you can manage to do so within your calorie budget.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I eat chocolate every day. I did this the entire time I was losing weight, and have done it for 1.5 years in maintenance. When I was losing, my chocolate was usually a chocolate flavored protein shake or bar, or chocolate Halo Top/other low calorie ice cream (Breyers is my favorite), or a small piece of a nice chocolate bar, or an individually wrapped square of chocolate. I usually recommend Ghirardelli squares because they’re about 50-75 calories each, and I think they’re pretty big for that number of calories.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited December 2018
    I prelog a 200-300 calories for an evening snack of whatever I want. Chocolate is often involved. Nothing wrong with having it especially if you're feeling a craving. For a lot of people that can turn into a binge.

ETA: a healthy diet can contain a wide variety of foods. Nothing inherently wrong with chocolate and eating it, or something else you fancy, will not undo the rest of the choices you make throughout the day.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    If you like chocolate and coconut like a mounds or almond joy, I find the One Bliss Almond bars to be a good comparison and they have 20g of protein to keep you full for a few hours too.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    If you like chocolate and coconut like a mounds or almond joy, I find the One Bliss Almond bars to be a good comparison and they have 20g of protein to keep you full for a few hours too.

Those are delicious! The maple doughnut one is my favorite.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Those are delicious! The maple doughnut one is my favorite.

Ooh yeah that one is really good too, I can’t decide which I like more 😊
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I buy Ross Sugar Free Chocolate bars. I do that because sugar sets me off but these don't and they are now my daily treat. The bar is 180 calories and I eat 1/8 (it's formed into 8 squares) every night before bed. I really look forward to it.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    A few things work for me. One is adding 10 g of unsweetened cocoa to my post-workout shake. Another is mixing greek yogurt, a banana and 10 g of unsweetened cocoa. A bonus is the iron and fiber in cocoa powder. For candy purposes, a small amount of good chocolate - Ghiradelli squares, small Godiva pieces, for ex. can fill the chocolate void. I have never found that the chocolate added in fiber or protein or other "bars" really scratches the chocolate itch.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Hey everyone☺️! I am pretty new to this and have been sticking to my calorie deficit for 3 weeks now. Although, I am starting to crave chocolate🤪 I have been trying the chocolate fibre one bars once in a while to avoid a chocolate binge, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a healthier alternative?

What makes Fiber One bars unhealthy? The Fiber One brownies are probably the healthiest chocolate thing I eat.

I try to get my needs taken care of in my meals, I really don't care whether my snacks fit any definition of healthy or not, so I can't be too much help. My low-cal chocolate comes from Dove Dark Chocolate Promises, Fiber One brownies, and the 90 cal Swiss Miss hot chocolate. My not low-cal chocolate comes from Talenti, Ben & Jerry, Reeses, Ghirardelli, and Oreo. :smiley:
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    I just ate two chocolate covered cherries! <3
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    I eat chocolate every night with a cup of tea when I get into bed to read. It’s usually 2-4 squares of the dark varieties like orange, almond, caramel, etc., and sometimes just plain. But my newest favorite is Trader Joe’s Cold Brew Coffee flavor!! Yum!

I log it first thing in the morning so I never run out of calories for my nightly treat and I look forward to it all day long.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    I just ate two chocolate covered cherries! <3

I'm making a bunch this weekend. Good stuff!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I just make it fit. Mini Reese's peanut butter cups or Hershey kisses are really easy to fit in. You just have to be careful not to eat an entire handful.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I seriously struggle with the sweet stuff! I crave it every second of day....honey, fruit, chocolate, sweets.....so far I haven't found a way to control my chocolatey cravings though.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    apullum wrote: »
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Nope. Just had 100g of Lindt milk chocolate and logged it as dinner ;)
    Fits within my (1200+exercise) calories too.
    I am being cheeky. Of course I don't recommend. I just saw the call to chocoholics while I was finishing the last bite

I, personally, support it once in a rare while...just not Lindt. I have a whole list of other brands I prefer over Lindt, if anyone is interested in that tangent. My husband and I eat enough chocolate that we actually keep a spreadsheet with our comments and ratings.

I hosted a chocolate party last Valentine's Day. We ate nothing but chocolate. It was delicious and we all felt awful the next day. No regrets, but maybe next time I'll make actual dinner to go along with the chocolate.

A spreadsheet for real? Wow you are hardcore chocoholic! I like that
    ETA: your chocolate party reminds me of this chocolate bar in Singapore...and why I gained so much weight living there. Sigh.