What to eat before workout

Options
I’ve see so many contradicting things about what people should eat before training in terms of macros...any advice? Do the macros even matter as long as you fuel with something?

Thanks

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I eat anything from nothing ( fasted) to donuts to bananas to apples to cereal or bagels. I have also tracked lifts and numbers and see no gym performance differences personally even fasted. If I eat nothing or just have straight carbs then I make sure to get protein within an hour or two post work out.

I do know some people get dizzy training fasted and that sorta thing so I think whatever helps you personally feel best in the gym is best. I think there is great individual variability here and no one answer
  • dan_gymrat
    dan_gymrat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So an hour before I hit the gym, I have...
    70g oats, scoop of whey protein, 5 egg whites and a teaspoon on peanut butter in a shake👌
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just for personal clarity...you're drinking the whites?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Personally I need carbs before a hard workout or my blood glucose drops too low. I find half a banana or a small orange to be perfect. Eating something with protein and carbs shortly after your workout may be a good idea, although research differs on the time frame. Greek yogurt with berries is what I usually have.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How much it matters depends on your training intensity, experience and goals.

What I typically do is a few hours before my workout, have an easily digestible meal/snack with a significant amount of protein, keeping fat and fibre minimal (protein shake, egg whites, low fat cottage cheese etc). Then right before/during I have caffeine (double espresso) and candy . Then post workout I have lunch, usually something very high in protein.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Usually a cup of coffee for some energy
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I eat anything from nothing ( fasted) to donuts to bananas to apples to cereal or bagels. I have also tracked lifts and numbers and see no gym performance differences personally even fasted. If I eat nothing or just have straight carbs then I make sure to get protein within an hour or two post work out.

I do know some people get dizzy training fasted
    ^^^ME!
    and that sorta thing so I think whatever helps you personally feel best in the gym is best. I think there is great individual variability here and no one answer

^^^This!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. I don't time my meals around my workouts.

See where meal timing falls on the pyramid of importance? Unless you are an elite athlete, trying to improve your performance by 0.18%, it doesn't matter.

u97dyzsnxgfl.png

I think the question was more geared towards what kind of foods/macros to eat, not if meal timing was important. Two different subjects ;).

• cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I Try to eat a normal full meal 2 hours before I train & protien within an hour after , no Difference in lifting if I eat or not , I just run out of energy If I Don't have around 600 Cals .
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

See where meal timing falls on the pyramid of importance? Unless you are an elite athlete, trying to improve your performance by 0.18%, it doesn't matter.

u97dyzsnxgfl.png

I think the question was more geared towards what kind of foods/macros to eat, not if meal timing was important. Two different subjects ;).

I guess it was more answering her second question.
    I’ve see so many contradicting things about what people should eat before training in terms of macros...any advice? Do the macros even matter as long as you fuel with something?

Thanks

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Usually coffee and something easily digestible and filling. For me this is a power bar, oatmeal, eggs, etc.

As @quiksylver296 stated meal timing isn't as issue outside the elite athletes. There's a good deal of placebo at play here.

I sampled some of the pre workouts and opt for a cup of coffee instead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Thanks

What kind of workout? For the average person just trying to get a little fitness on, this doesn't really matter so long as you're adequately fueling your activity throughout the day. I namely cycle and lift for cross training and because I think having some level of strength is important to general fitness...I'm not a body builder and I'm not a power lifter and I'm not competing in anything...I eat my meals and maybe a couple snacks during the day and nothing is timed around my exercise. I just make sure I'm eating enough to fuel everything.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

u97dyzsnxgfl.png

Thanks

Just wanted to be clear so the OP understands that "macros" as shown on the pyramid are much higher of importance and shouldn't be ignored because of not being an elite athlete.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

u97dyzsnxgfl.png

Thanks

Just wanted to be clear so the OP understands that "macros" as shown on the pyramid are much higher of importance and shouldn't be ignored because of not being an elite athlete.

No offense, of course! I could have been clearer. :)
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks

What kind of workout? For the average person just trying to get a little fitness on, this doesn't really matter so long as you're adequately fueling your activity throughout the day. I namely cycle and lift for cross training and because I think having some level of strength is important to general fitness...I'm not a body builder and I'm not a power lifter and I'm not competing in anything...I eat my meals and maybe a couple snacks during the day and nothing is timed around my exercise. I just make sure I'm eating enough to fuel everything.

I’m weight training to gain weight/get stronger....but I had a period of time where I was sedentary for a year which took a toll on my heart/cardio so I also want to incorporate enough cardio on non lift days to help get back in shape. Nothing will be too intense considering I’m basically out of shape right now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks

I’m weight training to gain weight/get stronger....but I had a period of time where I was sedentary for a year which took a toll on my heart/cardio so I also want to incorporate enough cardio on non lift days to help get back in shape. Nothing will be too intense considering I’m basically out of shape right now.

Start off going by how you personally feel. Experiment.

Some people get an upset stomach easily if they eat then do their chosen cardio workout. Sometimes it matters specifically what they eat - light, heavy, macros, fats, dairy are things I've seen as having different effects when eaten before workouts.

Some people feel they perform at their best if they work out fasted. Personally, I crash and burn if I do anything vigorous while fasted, but have a cast-iron stomach, so I usually just eat a light breakfast around half an hour before spin class or on-water rowing in the morning, and do fine. I've learned to eat slightly more carbs before rowing, because I've found I need that extra bit in order not to be ravenous after. A surprisingly small increment makes a difference.

There's lots of stuff written about fueling for exercise, but (1) for performance and how you feel, it can be individual; (2) for recovery and strength-building, it's a minor contributor at most for the recreational athlete; and (3) sound nutrition is important for everyone, but maybe even more so for athletes, recreational or otherwise.
  • halfadaniel
    halfadaniel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ill have a banana and a 200 cal protein bar/cookie