Options
124»

Replies

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Does anyone have any reputable information from later than 2008 on how many calories, on average, people from the US consume per year compared to countries with a similar GDP?

I think the truly critical part of this is how it is broken down. Meaning what part is protein, what is fat, and what is carbs, and type of carbs. Because that is what is making America fat to obese. Just looking at a calorie number will not really get into it. Example taking fat as a percentage. Ideally should be about 25% of ones daily calorie intake. (I saw range of 20 to 30%). But the type of fat also matters. And the sad fact is most Americans either do not know, or do not care to know this fact.

The average American does not want to recognize and take responsibility that the number one person that has control over their weight is themselves. No magic pill really exists.

I remember several years ago one of the fast food places made a huge deal out of the fact of the type of oil they used to fry there French fries in. Like here we can make you healthy French fries, so you do not need to worry about doing harm to your insides. I think way too many people actually believed that hook, line and sinker.

Based on where Americans get most of their calories looks like simple added sugars, non-healthy fats com out pretty high.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/top-10-sources-of-calories-in-the-us-diet

What Americans Eat: Top 10 sources of calories in the U.S. diet
    Grain-based desserts (cakes, cookies, donuts, pies, crisps, cobblers, and granola bars)
    Yeast breads
    Chicken and chicken-mixed dishes
    Soda, energy drinks, and sports drinks
    Pizza
    Alcoholic beverages
    Pasta and pasta dishes
    Mexican mixed dishes
    Beef and beef-mixed dishes
    Dairy desserts

I wonder if this trend is going to get better or worse.