Is the creamer worth it?

Options
13»

Replies

• PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Drop dairy :o What about my frozen yogurt?! lol. If dairy doesn't bother your stomach then there is no reason to stop eating it. As for the coffee creamer, if you feel those calories are worth it then you just have to make it work.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing in any food that affects weight is it's calories. Go ahead and go for that delicious dairy! Just make sure you stick to your calorie goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I don’t do creamer. The calories aren’t worth it to me and I actually like black coffee. I won’t give up dairy though. I have done paleo in the past, and while I felt amazing eating that way I just love cheese to much to stick to it. Dairy has had zero affect on my weight as long as I keep it within my calorie budget.

Omg 🤤 cheese is the best... reading all of this people's comments is making me think that perhaps he suggested for me to cut all dairy because- something that most people have said is right- that is the one thing that we tend to indulge in.

I was dairy-free when I was in Costa Rico for 6 weeks and dropped a size without trying, but it was just one of many ways I inadvertently reduced calories, not because there is anything inherently wrong with dairy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get into it with the trainer. If you like him and he helps you stick to your exercise plan that's one thing, but in my state it's against the law to practice diet advising without a license.

Just smile and nod when he talks about food...what he doesn't know won't cause an argument. :lol:

I am also one who has always eaten cheese, full fat milk and yogurt, half and half, ice cream and other dairy products all throughout my 70+ pounds of weight loss eleven years ago - and I've been eating it and maintaining my weight as well for all those years.

Calories. That's it. Plus, it's a great inexpensive easy to use source of protein, calcium, potassium and other nutrients.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Where did you read that dairy was bad for you? Calories are what stop you losing weight not dairy.

I have eaten plenty of delicious cheese, cream, butter, whole milk, etc whilst I have lost my weight. The only time my weight loss is hindered is when I eat too much food.

My personal trainer asked me to stop eating all dairy. He said that I would see results faster if I stopped consuming dairy so I Googled it

Get a new one. Stat
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://youtu.be/Rx9lZKSACFc

The evidence around dairy is quite contrary to his beliefs as others said.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Where did you read that dairy was bad for you? Calories are what stop you losing weight not dairy.

I have eaten plenty of delicious cheese, cream, butter, whole milk, etc whilst I have lost my weight. The only time my weight loss is hindered is when I eat too much food.

My personal trainer asked me to stop eating all dairy. He said that I would see results faster if I stopped consuming dairy so I Googled it

The amount of false information to be found by googling is amazing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't get into it with the trainer. If you like him and he helps you stick to your exercise plan that's one thing, but in my state it's against the law to practice diet advising without a license.

Just smile and nod when he talks about food...what he doesn't know won't cause an argument. :lol:

I am also one who has always eaten cheese, full fat milk and yogurt, half and half, ice cream and other dairy products all throughout my 70+ pounds of weight loss eleven years ago - and I've been eating it and maintaining my weight as well for all those years.

Calories. That's it. Plus, it's a great inexpensive easy to use source of protein, calcium, potassium and other nutrients.

I agree. If you like your trainer for the exercise advice/plan he gives I would just smile and nod when he gives nutrition advice. I don't think he has any business telling you to go off dairy. There's no basis for that, it's just his personal opinion. If you're going to go around giving people nutrition advice, it should be something backed up with scientific evidence otherwise I think he's being really irresponsible. Especially since he's in a position where people who are new to diet and fitness go to a person like that because they assume he knows what he's talking about. This really annoys me for some reason lol
  • takemetosingapore2019
    Options
    I used to only ever drink black coffee ( which I still love). Now sometimes I use a little creamer in my coffee. I don’t eat any sweets or snack so this is the only bad habit I have. So no I’m not giving it up.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I use multiple servings of sugar free creamer per day and have Greek yogurt almost daily. Still losing weight. If anything, knowing I can have my version of coffee or tea light and sweet when I need a pick me up keeps me on plan.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes it’s worth it:)

I needed a little more protein so I started as someone suggested here (sorry I forgot who you are but thank you) to mix premier protein drink with coffee. I add some cinnamon and warm it up and man it’s a good tasting latte:).
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I don’t do creamer. The calories aren’t worth it to me and I actually like black coffee. I won’t give up dairy though. I have done paleo in the past, and while I felt amazing eating that way I just love cheese to much to stick to it. Dairy has had zero affect on my weight as long as I keep it within my calorie budget.

Omg 🤤 cheese is the best... reading all of this people's comments is making me think that perhaps he suggested for me to cut all dairy because- something that most people have said is right- that is the one thing that we tend to indulge in.

You can over-indulge in *any* food or drink, not just dairy products.

As mentioned before, either get a new trainer (because this one clearly doesn't have a clue) or just disregard any nutrition 'advice' he gives you.

Enjoy your creamer! <3
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is diabetic, disabled, and can barely walk - she has lost 50 lbs using ONLY diet (obviously no exercise.) She eats super clean - but you know what the only thing she still indulges in is? Coffee creamer. She lost 50 lbs in a year with diet, no exercise, and drinking coffee creamer in her coffee. It can be done :P
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

A few years ago I was going on a beach vacation with my trainer and his wife and family. I wanted to just lose 5 or so vanity pounds before the trip and his eating plan for me cut out dairy save for in very small amounts. This was not because dairy is bad, but because it is typically high fat and thus high calorie so it is very easy to indulge on excess calories. He basically just gave me a low fat plan that reduced my calorie intake while everything else remained pretty much the same. It was very temporary...as in only about one month or a little less.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to have a little coffee with my morning creamer. I finally had to give up coffee and creamer entirely. But my daughter is losing weight, and she still enjoys her morning latte. For me, the coffee contributed to my high blood pressure, and the creamer came with a lot of calories that were difficult to fit into my nutrition budget. I loved that sweet creamer that comes in coffee-shop flavors. I could probably try soy or nut milk, but I'm drinking water instead and I don't miss the coffee.

I also used to drink a gallon of milk every four or five days, and gave that up as well. For me, it's all about the calories vs nutrition. Almond and soy are good, and have fewer calories. I also feel that reducing animal products is better for the world.

One thing I'd worry about if you want to have kids, is keeping your bones strong. Babies will take calcium from your bones if you don't have enough in your diet. Dairy is good for that--which your trainer might not consider. You can get enough calcium through other foods, but you have to be conscious about it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Yes it’s worth it:)

I needed a little more protein so I started as someone suggested here (sorry I forgot who you are but thank you) to mix premier protein drink with coffee. I add some cinnamon and warm it up and man it’s a good tasting latte:).

I do something similar - I add protein powder to coffee, which needs to cool a tad first. Actually, first I add the protein powder to the chia seeds and water they soaked in. Coffee PP breakfast smoothie :)