Help at the gym

So I joined the new Planet Fitness. I love the rowing machine as it gets my heart rate up, works multiple muscles, and there's no impact. However, I feel lost when I am there once I do that for about 20 minutes. Any suggestions on a workout plan for about 4-5 days/week? Should I focus on one body part a day or full body each day?

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Full body movements are better like squats, deadlifts, rowing, and pull-ups -- movements that require a group of muscles to complete the movement. I would do full body because you can continue your workout without having to take a break and by the time you come back to the same body part you are refreshed. It sounds like you are a beginner so I would start by picking 1 exercise per body part and doing something like 3 sets, 10-12 reps. Pick a weight that you max out at 10-12 reps on the first set. If you can’t get 10-12 reps on the second set, that’s okay. Just do as many as you can until you max out. There are several exercises you can do for the same muscle so try to alternate between different variations of exercise for the same muscle on a daily basis. Every month or so you’ll need to change up the workout routine doing different rep numbers and you may want to add a couple different exercises for the same body part after you get used to weight lifting. I recommend doing any cardio after weight training.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    there are lots of different workout plans. it would be helpful to know what interests you before we suggest a plan. there are rowing HIIT workouts. bodyweight, lifting, treadmill, etc
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited December 2018
    Planet Fitness memberships includes fitness training classes all week long you can attend. Just pick a day and a time for something that interests you and drop in. They also offer a "design your own program" feature where you and a trainer create a "tailored" program based on your goals. Since you're new to fitness I'd suggest the orientation class to learn about the equipment and programming....good luck!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    There's tons of things you can do based off what your ultimate fitness goal is. For example, if one of my clients is looking to lose weight, I will gear their program differently than an athlete that is trying to build endurance for a marathon. A free option would be to check out bodybuilding.com. They have several free workouts that you can look into based off of your goal.

If you need help any further help on where to get started or any other questions, feel free to message me.

Why does she need to message you?

Have you ever felt lost with where to start? Would it have been nice to know that someone is willing to help you if you need it or have questions? Wouldn't it be nice to know that someone would like to reach out and be your friend? Instead of being a keyboard warrior and questioning why I would offer to HELP someone, wouldn't it have been better for you to have also been the better person of reaching out and offering assistance to someone just getting started?

As a personal trainer, I love giving help as best as I can, whether they're a client or not. It's called giving back. We all have mutual goals and a desire for support. What better way can those of us that have been through the trenches do other than reach out and help others? I hope that we can come to the agreement that in the end, supporting each other is what is important. If you are not here to help assist others, then what is the intent of your comment?

I was curious.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

When you read this thread (and I hope you read the start of it, it's a long thread) just understand that you won't be able to do some of the programs at Planet Fitness as they don't have the equipment for deadlifts or squats. The dumbbell programs will work fine.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

When you read this thread (and I hope you read the start of it, it's a long thread) just understand that you won't be able to do some of the programs at Planet Fitness as they don't have the equipment for deadlifts or squats. The dumbbell programs will work fine.

Reading the thread is free, too!

I dunno. Time is money and all that and it reallllyyyyy is a looonnngggg thread.

Hey. How's the UFC fighting going?

:)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Reading the thread is free, too!

I dunno. Time is money and all that and it reallllyyyyy is a looonnngggg thread.

Hey. How's the UFC fighting going?

:)

I found a really cool mask. ;)
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    For some great workouts/programs, check out bodybuilding.com. There is even a social aspect to the site, too. If you are just looking for a workout, then go visit muscleandstrength.com
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    kellyj238 wrote: »
    So I joined the new Planet Fitness. I love the rowing machine as it gets my heart rate up, works multiple muscles, and there's no impact. However, I feel lost when I am there once I do that for about 20 minutes. Any suggestions on a workout plan for about 4-5 days/week? Should I focus on one body part a day or full body each day?

What kind of activities do you like? If you are looking for strength training, the the thread above is a great place to start. It has everything from bodyweight programs to more advanced ones. While you are still learning, it's probably best to start with an actual designed program that has a track record.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    kellyj238 wrote: »

I got my lifting routines out of the book Strength Training Exercises for Women by Joan Pagano. It's mainly dumbbells, with some body-weight. A number of her exercises use some other equipment (stability ball and cardio step are the main ones). It's great for a beginner, because it gives three levels of reps/sets/weights as well as three suggested full-body workouts (progressive difficulty levels) and 4 weights-and-cardio 15-minutes workouts. Plus multiple exercises for each muscle group, so if you find that one isn't doing it for you or requires, say, a cardio step you don't have access to, you can easily find something else in there to target the area you want to. She's also got useful tips about whether an exercise is ideal/bad for certain conditions (e.g. wrist or back problems) and common lifting form errors.

The book falls short on one main element: most of the exercises top out at 12-lb dumbbells. Buried near the end of the book in a Q&A section is the advice to just keep adding on weights/sets/reps as you progress. The problem is, if you aren't reading the book cover to cover, but just flipping through for good exercises, it's easy to miss that part and think, "Maybe lifting more isn't safe." Hint: It is if you progress slowly.

I generally work out 5 days a week, alternating between lower body and upper/core. Whichever half gets 3 days in Week 1 gets 2 in Week 2 and vice versa.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member

What about The Smith Machine?!
  • kellyj238
    kellyj238 Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you to everyone who offered their advice! It is very appreciated!!! <3<3
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »

What about The Smith Machine?!

Why would this have been flagged? I see a lot of people doing deads and squats on the Smith Machine. :angry: