Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is Less-healthy? being obese or being a "fit" smoker?

2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Many people gain weight when they stop smoking because they attempt to end one habit without replacing this with another. Our brains are not wired that way and you must replace any habit with another to be successful.

I wouldn't focus on trading one risk factor for another when both are avoidable. Find a sustainable habit you enjoy and work on incorporating this into your life.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    As a 20 year smoker (and 13 months non-smoker) who lost 60 pounds right before quitting, I can say that quitting smoking is 100 million times worse for you then carrying 20 extra pounds around.

I felt good after losing the weight. I felt incredible after quitting the cigarettes.

Note that it took me a good 6 months to notice how much better I felt as a non-smoker. I'm not sure how long you've been off the sticks but give it time. Trust me when I say it's worth it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    My doctor told me to quit smoking first, not worry about the weight gain as a result and then lose weight once the quitting smoking was a lock. It worked for me, but has been a five year process.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2019
    I was the smoker (and thin) in my 20s and then obese (and a non-smoker) in my 30s. Started getting in better shape in my 40s and finally learned how to do both.

My Dad died of lung cancer. Most of my brothers and sisters are heavy and have health related issues to weight. Neither is ideal. I kick myself all the time that it took me till my early 40s to start putting together both non-smoking and taking better care of myself.

I'm also astounded by what I can do physically now at 54. My kids, who grew up with me first smoking, then fat, are equally impressed. They can hardly believe it and their friends tell them all the time how "young and healthy" their parents are for mid and late (my wife) 50s.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I Haven't read the myriad of comments and if this is a repeat, my apologies!! Bottom line, smoking & healthy do NOT belong in the same sentence. Are you looking for an excuse to start smoking again per chance?????
  • Chantelle9112
    Chantelle9112 Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2019
    Smoking is easier to quit than losing weight in my experience, I did both though. When I quit smoking I got healthier lost weight and went to the gym.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    edited January 2019
    They are both terrible for you, so you won't get much love from anyone in a fitness site.
    But maybe I can put it in a different perspective.

Think of it like this... You gain weight, you're not happy. Then you work your butt off to get fit.

Then you decide to start smoking again.

Now, You're a Fit guy/girl, but you stink. You smell like an ashtray, your breath smells like someone took a dump in your mouth and when someone kisses you, they get to enjoy a rotten, bitter aftertaste.
    And worse, you don't know that, because you have gone nose blind to it.

Note to all smokers... Washing your hands and face after smoking doesn't do anything for the way you smell, so if you're doing it for the people around you, don't bother. it's useless.
    We still smell you from a mile away.
  • Tofu_Unicorn93
    Tofu_Unicorn93 Posts: 1 Member
    Being a smoker is less healthy than being obese.
    Neither are healthy for you. But smoking increases the risks of heart failure, stroke and lung cancers a lot quicker than gaining 20lbs.
    And not just that but you're massively increasing your risk of vascular dementia. It's not something to be messing around with.
    As for depression and not being on track of eating anymore, I would seek counselling or CBT of some sort to figure out why? Xx
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    It's an artificial choices based on fluctuating emotions. We all know full well that you can, and should, take care of both problems. Easy? No. But trying to excuse one by saying it's "healthier" than the other is a false comparison and an excuse, at best.
  • lubaberki
    lubaberki Posts: 1 Member
    Arguably, being a fit smoker is way worse than being an obese non-smoking couch potato
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    It should not be an either/ or situation. Why choose? Both camps are not heathy places to sit in.