Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    pop-tart-ice-cream-01.jpg
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That is why diet soda is very bad because of the aspartame which takes a huge bad toll on the body.

Just so you know, there is not one bit of credible evidence which links to aspartame damaging humans.

They used to say that about nicotine, too.

Nicotine isn't in and of itself harmful to humans - but it is addictive, the tar from the burning plant matter is another matter.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm agree with you. I'm vegan and I did juice 7 days fast and lost 4lbs. Yes, meat IS the reason of obesity. go vegan!

LOLzzzzzzz

Please back up your claim that "meat IS the reason of obesity" with some legitimate science.

Don't worry. I'll be here eating my extra rare veal cutlet.

Yeah, good luck with that. >_> Excess red meat consumption isn't great for you, but anyone blaming it for obesity hasn't bothered to read anything but vegan promotional blogs.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Awesome, another "sugar is the devil" thread.

It's not a specific food or food component that causes problems. It is over-consumption that does.
    I think it's fair to say that certain foods require more care or are more easily over-consumed, though.

How many people are on MFP because they ate too many green beans?

if your TDEE is 2000 and your eat 3000 calories a day in green beans then you will gain weight ..

again - over consumptioin = weight gain
    maintenance consumption = no gain
    under consumption = weight loss ...

does not really matter what types of food you consume...just eat less and move more...

That's not what he said. He said: "I think it's fair to say that certain foods require more care or are more easily over-consumed, though." That's about the least radical statement anyone has ever made.

How many people could routinely eat 3000 calories of green beans as opposed to 3000 calories of pizza?

my point was if you over eat on anything you will gain weight.

Since we're on the topic, my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Nice Simpsons reference.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That is why diet soda is very bad because of the aspartame which takes a huge bad toll on the body.

Just so you know, there is not one bit of credible evidence which links to aspartame damaging humans.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Exactly!!!!!!

I don't really care what anyone else on here or elsewhere says - man-made/processed sugars are not good for you - natural sugars however are. I mean, since when is putting a non-natural chemical product in your body as fuel safe thing? :huh:
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

I don't really care what anyone else on here or elsewhere says - man-made/processed sugars are not good for you - natural sugars however are. I mean, since when is putting a non-natural chemical product in your body as fuel safe thing? :huh:

It really wasn't that funny.

I'd also like to point out science has improved, since nicotine tests.

You are free to do what you want, but I'll continue drinking aspartame soda's and being completely healthy, thanks.
  • FerretBuellerr
    Options

You are free to do what you want, but I'll continue drinking aspartame soda's and being completely healthy, thanks.

Maybe to you it wasn't......and are you saying nicotine isn't bad for you? :huh: Maybe I misunderstood.

And of course you can do what you want! No one said you can't! We all have different opinions, and from what I've seen and through my own research, people that cut out all sugar lose weight, people that cut out processed sugars only lose weight, and people that eat all types of sugars in moderation lose weight. I get it - it doesn't really matter that much in the end run so long as you're not only eating only sugar all the time.

I just know that I would rather eat something that hasn't been messed around with in a lab, that's all.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Maybe to you it wasn't......and are you saying nicotine isn't bad for you? :huh: Maybe I misunderstood.

And of course you can do what you want! No one said you can't! We all have different opinions, and from what I've seen and through my own research, people that cut out all sugar lose weight, people that cut out processed sugars only lose weight, and people that eat all types of sugars in moderation lose weight. I get it - it doesn't really matter that much in the end run so long as you're not only eating only sugar all the time.

I just know that I would rather eat something that hasn't been messed around with in a lab, that's all.

You misunderstood. ;)
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Just thought about this -

all the posts about sugar vs chemicals reminds me of the margarine vs real butter debate. Now THAT would be interesting.
  • FerretBuellerr
    Options
    Just thought about this -

all the posts about sugar vs chemicals reminds me of the margarine vs real butter debate. Now THAT would be interesting.

I think that debate would end up just the same as this one - divided everywhere!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Ingredient label from the bread you eat...

Whole grain whole wheat flour including the germ, water, glucose-fructose/sugar, yeast*, vegetable oil (canola or soybean), salt, wheat gluten, vinegar, calcium propionate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, monoglycerides, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, sorbic acid. May contain calcium iodate, calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate, cornstarch, ammonium chloride. *order may change. May contain soybean, milk ingredients and sesame seeds.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Whole grain whole wheat flour including the germ, water, glucose-fructose/sugar, yeast*, vegetable oil (canola or soybean), salt, wheat gluten, vinegar, calcium propionate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, monoglycerides, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, sorbic acid. May contain calcium iodate, calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate, cornstarch, ammonium chloride. *order may change. May contain soybean, milk ingredients and sesame seeds.

Dude, those are organic monoglycerides.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Actually... it isn't the nicotine that is bad for you. It's the tar and chemicals that it is paired with. It is addictive, but that's the extent of its negative effects on the body.

And you did misunderstand. He wasn't saying that nicotine isn't bad for you. He is saying that science is far more advanced than it was 50 or 60 years ago, and therefore, the comparison of our understanding of aspartame to nicotine is kind of ridiculous.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... and...

IN for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar... and sugar substitutes!
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Actually... it isn't the nicotine that is bad for you. It's the tar and chemicals that it is paired with. It is addictive, but that's the extent of its negative effects on the body.

And you did misunderstand. He wasn't saying that nicotine isn't bad for you. He is saying that science is far more advanced than it was 50 or 60 years ago, and therefore, the comparison of our understanding of aspartame to nicotine is kind of ridiculous.

Beat me to it!

Unless you're eating meat from the butchers/your own cows and veg from your garden/allotment, you can be pretty sure that it's been 'messed around' with in some way.

Bring on the lab food! When can i start taking my foods in pills?! Or gum, like in Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Think how much more I could sleep if I didn't have to cook....
  • pcastagner
    Options

Beat me to it!

Unless you're eating meat from the butchers/your own cows and veg from your garden/allotment, you can be pretty sure that it's been 'messed around' with in some way.

Bring on the lab food! When can i start taking my foods in pills?! Or gum, like in Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Think how much more I could sleep if I didn't have to cook....

I actually read a post on fb about how gross synthetic meat is because it involves the blood of unborn cows.

My first thought was "where can I get a shot of unborn cow blood?"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Back to chemistry.........all sugars taken in the body are broken down to simplest form to be absorbed regardless of source.
    As far as "non natural" chemicals, unless one is getting all the vitamins they need from food, vitamin packs are a "non natural" (it's not grown on trees, or pulled from the Earth, but actually processed) forms of "chemicals" for good health.

It's okay to deny science or studies. There's a definition for that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

PWNED

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I agree with this and personally follow this logic not for weight loss reasons but for the better of my health. I don't think our bodies were made to digest chemicals. I certainly wouldn't drink my toilet cleaner, why would I put it in my food!! Just my opinion.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I agree with this and personally follow this logic not for weight loss reasons but for the better of my health. I don't think our bodies were made to digest chemicals. I certainly wouldn't drink my toilet cleaner, why would I put it in my food!! Just my opinion.

So what chemical free foods to you currently eat?