Sugar - the bitter truth

Options

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    That is why diet soda is very bad because of the aspartame which takes a huge bad toll on the body.

Just so you know, there is not one bit of credible evidence which links to aspartame damaging humans.

Aspartame is a chemical, and like i said im not a scientist, but i have read where it is not a good thing to ingest. however, you may disagree, especially if you feel another person wrote an opposing view that you do agree with :)

All food is made up of chemicals. Your entire diet is made up of chemicals.

Yes, true. However, some chemicals are better for the body than others. Some are rather dangerous. I will choose the ones that are better for me,, i.e. that which is in real food, not substitutes.

As for aspartame, etc.... to me it has that chemical aftertaste which i never could quite enjoy. Have you tried Stevia in coffee? to me it tastes bitter, (not sure if its mixing with the hot water)... it was worse than Jaegermeister.

I would rather if i had the choice to eat real sugar, rather than fake sugar, or else how about not eating sugar at all or not much of it?

I would rather eat a strawberry than to eat a fake strawberry, both have chemicals, but which one is better for you - tastewise, nutritionalwise, naturalwise,

I think the strawberry would win, even though you COULD exist on the fake strawberry. but which is more appetizing? the real strawberry is my choice.

How come after a certain chemical element comes out on the market, after a few years of research and using people as guinea pigs, (they really dont know the full effect till people actually start using it) and then the experts tell us such and such a thing is causing cancer.

but you never hear about a real strawberry or banana causing cancer, do you?

Stevia is natural...just so you're aware if you aren't.

Thats what they say but why does it have a bitter aftertaste?
    Bitter aftertaste, "natural" and "good for you" all have nothing to do with each other.

This is true. Also, not everyone can taste the bitter aftertaste. People have varying numbers of tastebuds and in different ratios. Some have more bitter tastebuds than others (I'm one) and are very sensitive to bitter tastes.

Here are a few examples of "good for you" and "natural" foods that taste bitter to people sensitive to bitter tastes:
    kale
    eggplant
    dandelion greens
    broccoli
    brussel sprouts
    chard

The list goes on and on. I would also like to say that there are dangerous substances that taste sweet (ie: radiator fluid). Taste is not a good measure of food safety.

I was about to post the same thing, but it looks like you beat me to it Otterluv.

Taste can be deceiving.
    Stevia tastes bitter to some people? Weird, what kind of stevia are you eating?

Raw stevia is bitter, but it's also green. Large amounts of the processed stuff can still have a bitter after taste. Also, large amount of stevia also apparently changes your DNA. Or something. Chemical or plant, if it's a low cal sweetener it's probably gonna kill you!
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This is true. Also, not everyone can taste the bitter aftertaste. People have varying numbers of tastebuds and in different ratios. Some have more bitter tastebuds than others (I'm one) and are very sensitive to bitter tastes.

Here are a few examples of "good for you" and "natural" foods that taste bitter to people sensitive to bitter tastes:
    kale
    eggplant
    dandelion greens
    broccoli
    brussel sprouts
    chard

The list goes on and on. I would also like to say that there are dangerous substances that taste sweet (ie: radiator fluid). Taste is not a good measure of food safety.

You have just solved a mystery for me. Although I guess i should have figured this out sooner considering I was one of the kids in high school science class who was able to taste the bitter PTC test strips while most of the class did not. I no longer feel bad that I can't stand the taste of any of this except for the broccoli.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I always laugh when someone learns the difference between correlation and causation, then stops there and learns no further. Keep going! Correlational studies are not altogether without value and many scientific advancements have been achieved using correlation to understand data. It's a step in the process. Science is about asking questions, not having answers and being sure about stuff. Once enough evidence piles up for a hypothesis, it becomes theory and we have reasonable certainty that it is true.

Rats/mice are not people - this one makes me snicker as well. When someone points out that mice and rats aren't people, therefore a study done on rats is not definitive, they are just failing to understand how experimentation works, and that this is one step in the process. Of course it's not definitive. But rats are incredibly similar to humans and a really great way to experiment. Sure, experimenting on people would technically yield quicker results, but that would be massively unethical and immoral.

Aspartame - it is still being studied and we have no actual conclusions about it to turn to from any research - yet. Which means either "side" could turn out to be right. HOWEVER, if you will ingest anything as long as it is not PROVEN to be harmful, you are not playing smart with your health. At some point in time, smoking was not proven to be harmful. First there were correlations, way before we had nailed down causation. Am I equating aspartame with cigarettes? No. I'm just saying some of the reasoning here doesn't really fly. I was in the Philadelphia area not long ago and Rutgers was looking for test subjects to participate in a study looking at weight loss and artificial sweeteners. There are still questions to be answered and sometimes I do wonder if we are a bit quick to ignore the precautionary principle and put things on the market. Is it PROVEN to be harmful? No. But has it been PROVEN to be safe? Also no. So question- who has the burden of proof, and why?

Dosage makes the drug - watch out for this one too. Probably it does apply with aspartame, but this rule from toxicology breaks down in the field of endocrinology, where a smaller dosage can sometimes have greater effect than a larger dosage.

But I reserve the most scorn for scaremongering doctors who go on crusades against sugar, fat, whatever and muddy the waters with their irrational presentation of evidence aimed at appealing the emotions swirling around someone who is overweight in our culture. If you are counting calories and hitting your macros, and don't have a medical issue requiring you to manage sugar, it's not going to slow your progress! I'm getting way more sugar than normal these days, and having no problem cutting. In fact, I seem to be leaning out faster than I was on my ultra high protein diet that I eat in the USA.

There are four macros I need in my diet: protein, carbs, fat, and ice cream. They are all important and part of a balanced diet.

Who says people stop at correlation? You need to understand the studies and the whole diet/lifestyle before pinning the blame on one thing.

Also...rat studies - maybe if the dosage was even vaguely reasonable they would be taken more seriously .
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I always laugh when someone learns the difference between correlation and causation, then stops there and learns no further. Keep going! Correlational studies are not altogether without value and many scientific advancements have been achieved using correlation to understand data. It's a step in the process. Science is about asking questions, not having answers and being sure about stuff. Once enough evidence piles up for a hypothesis, it becomes theory and we have reasonable certainty that it is true.

Rats/mice are not people - this one makes me snicker as well. When someone points out that mice and rats aren't people, therefore a study done on rats is not definitive, they are just failing to understand how experimentation works, and that this is one step in the process. Of course it's not definitive. But rats are incredibly similar to humans and a really great way to experiment. Sure, experimenting on people would technically yield quicker results, but that would be massively unethical and immoral.

Aspartame - it is still being studied and we have no actual conclusions about it to turn to from any research - yet. Which means either "side" could turn out to be right. HOWEVER, if you will ingest anything as long as it is not PROVEN to be harmful, you are not playing smart with your health. At some point in time, smoking was not proven to be harmful. First there were correlations, way before we had nailed down causation. Am I equating aspartame with cigarettes? No. I'm just saying some of the reasoning here doesn't really fly. I was in the Philadelphia area not long ago and Rutgers was looking for test subjects to participate in a study looking at weight loss and artificial sweeteners. There are still questions to be answered and sometimes I do wonder if we are a bit quick to ignore the precautionary principle and put things on the market. Is it PROVEN to be harmful? No. But has it been PROVEN to be safe? Also no. So question- who has the burden of proof, and why?

Dosage makes the drug - watch out for this one too. Probably it does apply with aspartame, but this rule from toxicology breaks down in the field of endocrinology, where a smaller dosage can sometimes have greater effect than a larger dosage.

But I reserve the most scorn for scaremongering doctors who go on crusades against sugar, fat, whatever and muddy the waters with their irrational presentation of evidence aimed at appealing the emotions swirling around someone who is overweight in our culture. If you are counting calories and hitting your macros, and don't have a medical issue requiring you to manage sugar, it's not going to slow your progress! I'm getting way more sugar than normal these days, and having no problem cutting. In fact, I seem to be leaning out faster than I was on my ultra high protein diet that I eat in the USA.

There are four macros I need in my diet: protein, carbs, fat, and ice cream. They are all important and part of a balanced diet.

Who says people stop at correlation? You need to understand the studies and the whole diet/lifestyle before pinning the blame on one thing.

Also...rat studies - maybe if the dosage was even vaguely reasonable they would be taken more seriously .
    My favorites consist of the ones that they inject rats with large amounts of things that wouldn't have make it past the blood brain barrior (BBB). And the ones that basically translate to us drinking 1800 cokes.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

The gross kind, Coder! I can taste some of the aftertaste in Quest bars, but not too much. My husband can't even choke them down (thank goodness, those things are expensive). It's the reason that I hated their peanut butter cups. When I've tried beer (and I've tasted a number), I can't taste anything besides the bitter taste :sick: It's my one superpower, I am a SUPERTASTER!! da da da dum!

3rQay9z.jpg
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I was hoping it'd be "Vinegar - the bitter truth"
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

The gross kind, Coder! I can taste some of the aftertaste in Quest bars, but not too much. My husband can't even choke them down (thank goodness, those things are expensive). It's the reason that I hated their peanut butter cups. When I've tried beer (and I've tasted a number), I can't taste anything besides the bitter taste :sick: It's my one superpower, I am a SUPERTASTER!! da da da dum!

I've tried Stevia In the Raw before and ended up dumping the entire bag. And it wasn't just the aftertaste. I don't think I'd qualify as a super taster either, as I generally love bitter foods.
  • Otterluv
    Options

I've tried Stevia In the Raw before and ended up dumping the entire bag. And it wasn't just the aftertaste. I don't think I'd qualify as a super taster either, as I generally love bitter foods.

OF COURSE NOT! It's MY superpower, darnit! You have abs o'steel and can run on beaches, and has a gorgeous wife. Leave my superpower alone!

Yeah, the quantity matters. Some has me gagging, but even a tiny bit has my husband hurl. He must be a super-duper taster.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

It's because they just grind up full leaves without removing the stem/veins so you end up just having sweetened grass...
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    That is why diet soda is very bad because of the aspartame which takes a huge bad toll on the body.

Just so you know, there is not one bit of credible evidence which links to aspartame damaging humans.

Oops, sorry...just had a flashback. I thought it was 1950 and you were discussing cigarettes. My bad.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

OF COURSE NOT! It's MY superpower, darnit! You have abs o'steel and can run on beaches, and has a gorgeous wife. Leave my superpower alone!

Yeah, the quantity matters. Some has me gagging, but even a tiny bit has my husband hurl. He must be a super-duper taster.

LOL! Yea, trust me, I'm definitely not a super taster. That's YOUR superpower and you can keep it. I'll stick with my bitter beers.

I just was very surprised that I didn't think that Stevia was sweet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Oops, sorry...just had a flashback. I thought it was 1950 and you were discussing cigarettes. My bad.

How many studies were done on cigarettes showing them to be safe?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Hey, I think vegetables are bad for us.

You know, since no proof is required.
  • Otterluv
    Options

Hey, I think vegetables are bad for us.

You know, since no proof is required.

Plus: bitter.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

BULL....do so more research buddy. there is plenty that show that it is damaging to humans.
    *Headaches/Migraines
    *Dizziness
    *Mental Confusion
    *Slurred Speech
    *Ringing in the ears
    *Nausea
    *Numbness

Sounds pretty damaging to me.
    So do placebos.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There isn't a more heavily researched food additive than aspartame.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I had a thought about emotional/anecdotal arguments against certain foods. Follow me here.

Aspartame tastes bad, give me headaches, make me sick and therefore they are bad for everyone!

So following this train of thought and "logic" I present two real life truths.

Peanuts make my brother break out, give him headaches, and makes it hard for him to breathe. Therefore they are bad for everyone.

My friend went vegetarian for a few years then came back to the meat side. First time he ate chicken he was violently ill; vomiting and intestinal distress for like 36 hours. Therefore chicken is bad and no one should eat it.

Logic checks out?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Raw stevia is bitter, but it's also green. Large amounts of the processed stuff can still have a bitter after taste. Also, large amount of stevia also apparently changes your DNA. Or something. Chemical or plant, if it's a low cal sweetener it's probably gonna kill you!

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-gif.gif
  • SixHats
    SixHats Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been avoiding sugars and carbs for a while now and I have to say I have never felt better. So, personally, I couldn't give a **** who is right. Low carb works for me. And, in the end, that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned.

I can't help but notice that people seem more keen to prove themselves right than to help other members on these boards. Sad, really.