Overheating immediately while running outside?

Options

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I run in FL. I recommend drinking a glass of water before and carry some water in a pouch during your jog. Have some propel after your workout to re-hydrate.

I also recommend running in the evenings towards sundown.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who have not ever been able to sweat much so I have to be very careful to avoid heat stroke (I've had it before and it is very scary). That's why I go to exercise in the pool. There are lots of classes from light exercise to "water Zumba" and "aquatic boot camp". Our public pool offers a variety of classes at different times of the day and it is only $150 per year for two sessions a week. That's only a dollar and a half per session--cheaper than a gym membership (and a lot more fun).
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had the privilege to train for the Richmond Marathon during the past two seasons with well over 1,000 other runners and 60+ coaches. Here, in a nutshell, is how we handle the summer weather:

1. Hydrate throughout the day, every day. You can't cram for a run.
    2. Carry water with you. You really do get used to that quickly and it is well worth it. I wear a fuel belt and, honestly, forget it's there...until I'm thirsty.
    3. Pour some water on your head, the back of your neck and/or insides of your wrists as needed. This helps cool your core body temperature.
    4. Cotton is evil. Wear technical fabrics-they will help your body deal with the heat and sweat more efficiently which, in turn, helps you regulate your temperature properly.
    5. If you can't run in the morning (I'm in that boat), run when you can and choose shaded routes whenever possible.
    6. Eventually, your body will adjust. By then, it's November and the temperature will drop. JK-it takes some time, but your body WILL acclimate.
    7. I've noticed others commenting on your having Pepsi (?) for breakfast. While not the most nutritious, I know MANY marathoners who do their long runs without eating first. That doesn't necessarily play directly into how your body tolerates the summer heat but I wanted to point that out. Some people get absolutely sick from eating before a run-I'm a mess unless I have a bagel and OJ. Do what works for you and what you can tolerate.
    8. Walk when you need to during the runs. You aren't winning any awards out there-it's about time on your feet!

I hope this helps! :o)
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    HUN--I live in the DEEP DEEP south AND I experienced my first heat related illness last week!!!!!!!!!!! It was horrible and I will never put myself there again. Just thought alittle run wouldn't hurt in the afternoon. WELLLLL now I am on the track at 5:30 or 6A and only after 6Pnow. I learned my lesson. Had a headache for 2 days I couldn't get rid of too--we won't discuss the other problems
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to run at the same pace outdoors as on your treadmill in the A/C?

Rule # 1 for hot humid weather is to slow down...........
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    Try running at night or early in the morning. I'm the same way, and this Texas heat doesn't help..but I've started running at night right as the sun is going down and it helps a lot. It's still kind of humid, but at least the sun isn't beating down on me. I also take my water bottle with me and keep it somewhere along my route so when I run by it I can stop and take a quick water break.

It may come to just having to run at night. I've avoided it due to schedule, but it's increasingly seeming like running in the daylight is a no-go for me. Florida's weather isn't much nicer.

Yuck, I couldn't imagine trying to run in FL. I went to Orlando one summer and the whole time my hair looked like a lion's mane :laugh: the humidity is horrible!

Well... I live in Orlando as a matter of fact lol.
  • TheWiseCat
    Options
    Being in Texas (it's been 105 here most days lately) I can relate. The symptoms you describe sound just like heat exhaustion, and that's pretty dangerous. Unfortunately (and this is likely what has happened to you) once you get heat exhaustion, you are far more vulnerable to it in the future. So, I'm betting that there was one day that it was particularly hot or you worked yourself particularly hard and since then you can't tolerate heat as well.
    This can take up to a year to fully recover from, and continuing to run in the heat is the worst thing you can do. You are setting yourself up for heat stroke or a heart attack. If I were you I would run in environments (indoor or early in the day) that are in the 70s or low low 80s for the next 3 months or so and keep yourself as cool as possible, especially if you are working on building endurance. Then start running short distances (that 20 minutes you mentioned) once a week in the warmer temps, then twice a week, etc. Then increase to 21 minutes, and so on. Be super careful!!! There is not an easy fix and the stakes are pretty high.

I've had heat stroke a number of times. I can recall those pleasant days of vomiting hot water and wanting to die. I guess my problem is that I feel like if person X can run 2 hours outside in blazing heat, then I should be able to as well. Obviously that's unrealistic, but I'm stubborn. I guess I need to curb my expectations back to a realistic level.
  • TheWiseCat
    Options
    I've had the privilege to train for the Richmond Marathon during the past two seasons with well over 1,000 other runners and 60+ coaches. Here, in a nutshell, is how we handle the summer weather:

1. Hydrate throughout the day, every day. You can't cram for a run.
    2. Carry water with you. You really do get used to that quickly and it is well worth it. I wear a fuel belt and, honestly, forget it's there...until I'm thirsty.
    3. Pour some water on your head, the back of your neck and/or insides of your wrists as needed. This helps cool your core body temperature.
    4. Cotton is evil. Wear technical fabrics-they will help your body deal with the heat and sweat more efficiently which, in turn, helps you regulate your temperature properly.
    5. If you can't run in the morning (I'm in that boat), run when you can and choose shaded routes whenever possible.
    6. Eventually, your body will adjust. By then, it's November and the temperature will drop. JK-it takes some time, but your body WILL acclimate.
    7. I've noticed others commenting on your having Pepsi (?) for breakfast. While not the most nutritious, I know MANY marathoners who do their long runs without eating first. That doesn't necessarily play directly into how your body tolerates the summer heat but I wanted to point that out. Some people get absolutely sick from eating before a run-I'm a mess unless I have a bagel and OJ. Do what works for you and what you can tolerate.
    8. Walk when you need to during the runs. You aren't winning any awards out there-it's about time on your feet!

I hope this helps! :o)

Thank you very much for all of the advice. I'll try to work it in. I don't see shade in my future, but I'll definitely try pushing my runs till later in the evening and wetting down my clothes. I'll also look into fuel belts. I tend to hate carrying water, so I'll run multiple laps of a small circuit by my house that way I can pop in if I need it. For me the heat stroke just snaps in. It's almost like my temp just rises linearly with running and after x miles, I'm barbecuing my brain. It's like my body is incapable of cooling me down. It sucks.

As for the pepsi for breakfast, for simplicity, I don't enter my meals in precisely. I may make some food then portion it up through the day etc. Plus I always bring a pepsi to school, so I just enter it in for breakfast. My diary is accurate for the day, but not for the meal.
  • TheWiseCat
    Options
    Are you trying to run at the same pace outdoors as on your treadmill in the A/C?

I tried running 6mph and that failed miserably. I then tried to just do intervals, but they call them high intensity for a reason lol and it went south too.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yup; for me it's humidity related. I can walk (hate running in summer) in a dry heat, but as soon as the humidity cranks up I just can't do it. Ended up exhausted after a 3-mile walk in humid 78 degrees the other day and it took me three days of rest to get normal again. You aren't alone.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you are running in the morning, you need to eat more (fruits, clean carbs, etc.) , which could help with the headaches, etc. in the heat. A 20 oz. pepsi is not going to get you through a solid run...

Disagree. I run fasted every morning, up to 20 miles.

Two words: Slow down.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary a bit and I only see pepsi as your fluids. Are you drinking water adn not logging it? I drink almost a gallon a day of water.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I also caution you on wet clothing, definitely try it for a short run and see how it works but be aware that it can cause chaffing.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try the C25K program to help you slowly build up your outside endurance level.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    In summer where I am it is typically no less than 85 degrees to 115. Lately its only been eh mid ninetys or so. Try running around 6am or 5:30- 7:30pm. The sun hasnt been going down till about 830, so you could stay out later. ( I live in the country and take my dog, who would gladly run up to a pack of coyotes or a mountain lion, to play so I try to avoid running after 7:30) That seems to help. I dont run more than 20 minutes and make sure to walk back, to help "cool down". You can also take a bottle of water with you. When I jog in the house, I hardly break a sweat, even at a faster pace. Outside I break a sweat in the first 2-5 minutes for sure.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I should add that I JUST started running. I run a mile in about 16 min ( I know I suck compared to you pros lol) and then take leisurely- moderate walk back.
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Yes, yes! I second this advice!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Some people just can't run in the heat. It's as simple as that.

Bill Rodgers couldn't.
  • Okeyboy
    Okeyboy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm quite the opposite. I love running in the heat. I feel alive with the sun beating on my shirtless back.
  • TheWiseCat
    Options
    I looked at your diary a bit and I only see pepsi as your fluids. Are you drinking water adn not logging it? I drink almost a gallon a day of water.

I didn't realize anyone actually logged their water.
    I can assure you that my fluid intake is more than 1 pepsi a day... or I'd be dead lol.