Dr. Bernstein weight loss diet

Options
I just recently joined the Dr. Bernstein clinic for weight loss. I think I have the hang of the diet and seem to be losing but I could use some support to help keep the momentum going. I'm also curious to know if anyone else has done this program and can provide any advice.

Just to be clear, I have already committed to the program and have support in place to help maintain after the program has ended so I am not looking for any negative opinions toward the program. I am only looking for support, guidance and/or advice from those who have successfully completed or are currently on the program.

Thanks!

Replies

• veronadeau
    Options
    Hello, I also follow the same diet its going well. I originally joined last year did it for 2 months with a few "temporary maintenance" breaks when on vacation and lost a total of 33lbs which is amazing. my biggest mistake after I lost is not doing the maintenance and assuming it would stay off. I gained back 25lbs :(. I am back on it as of 5 days and already down 4lbs. this time around I am absolutely doing the maintenance when I get to my goal weight! best of luck to you look forward to hearing about your success.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. By now, I just assumed no one would reply. I just completed my 4th week and am down about 13 lbs. I'm just not sure if I can keep it up. I actually almost quit yesterday. They told me to take the weekend to think about it and give them an answer Tuesday.

Quick question for you... Do you/did you exercise while you were on the plan?
  • veronadeau
    Options
    Hello, I personally find exercise helps me look more toned and helps me lose more weight. As of yesterday I quite and joined weight watchers as I had a terrible experience with the dr at the Dr B clinic I attend. I realized he cared more about the superficial success of the company than my actual health and happiness. He actually told me that my goal weight of 135lbs was to fat!!! WTF and he told me not to exercise! With weight watchers I probably wont lose as fast but I will still lose. It will be more permanent and long term. It costs a fraction of the price and I still have to weigh in in front of a person once a week. I find all in all having to face a stranger with my results at least once a week is what keeps me motivated. I'm sorry for the conflicting advice from my first response. The main thing I would say is you will be successful as long as you don't go back to old habits. that was what made me gain back some weight.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss

You can do that without all of the products he has to sell you.
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know this is a old post but thought I would put my 2 cents in, if any one reads...
    I am cureently on Dr. B right now, I am a repeat offender I guess you could say as this is my 3rd time over 10 years.
    Like anyyyyyy diet, if you go off track and get cocky of your great weight loss you will gain it back.. same as my friend who has done weight watchers for the 5th time. I have been on the program this time for 2 weeks and down 16.0 lbs. I do know alot of it is water the first 6 days but I'm not complaining. I don't get hungry like I usually do and I must say compaired to 3 years ago it has changed ,,alot! They do not push , they let me set my goal weight and even tho theirs is much lower expectency ,its o.k. if I stop once I hit my goal.
    the food list is now 13 pages.... so much more food/s and the recipes are fantastic
    and my blood work has been excelellnt. my 1st Dr. B apointment was yesterday and I did go in with my guard up as I said from the begining I will not stop my Zumba class or Interval training, it is non negotiable ! and after we went back and forth over it he knew I was not budging, so told me to split a protein before and after classes on days I exercise to keep me from feeling deflated and I do eat more veggies that required.:smile:
    It is a bit expensive but.. I AM WORTH IT!!! :bigsmile:
  • Mindywv2003
    Options
    Good job!!

fello Bernstein dieter :wink:
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a horrible "diet".............under 1000 calories.....you have to get Vit B shots 3 times a week and it is super expensive.
  • superman_149
    Options
    my mother has followed this, so I decided to try it with her for a while.
    Two weeks in, I had lost like 15lbs. but had absolutely no energy to workout or do anything..
    I still try to follow the general principles, just eat more of certain things
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a horrible "diet".............under 1000 calories.....you have to get Vit B shots 3 times a week and it is super expensive.

Sound like money down the toilet to me.
  • BethAnnC448
    BethAnnC448 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    wow...sounds like a terrible diet to follow! does not sound safe !! JMO everyone wants to lose fast but fast only ends up gaining back just as fast...again...JMO
  • Mindywv2003
    Options
    To each his/her own, not critisizing anyones diet choices, they all have their pros and cons
    I am doing well...I have lots of energy, I still do my fitness classes which i neverrr done before on Bernstein in the past and just thave protein before and after class . My family Dr. loves my bloodwork results and I think now that I'm older (49) I am much smarter in my choices and health purposes.
    as for the $$ My husband and I both have good jobs, my children are taken care of and I support many charities so the $$ part... I'm worth spending $ on myself for a change :happy:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    One is always worth spending money on...but one could be spending it on much better things than weight loss. Especially when there are amazing free options out there.

I believe Einstein said this, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    I see his point when I see people dishing out money to companies 2, 3, 4 or more times after said company failed in teaching them the right way to maintain. As someone else said, these are companies...the moula is the bottom line...I very much doubt they care about you as much as you care about you. They'll love you forever though if you keep buying into them.
  • pinkcutie100
    pinkcutie100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey! the doctor from the clinics are crazy. i usually just ignore them. in one ear and out the other. the nurses seem so much more helpful with the diet. I've even done HEAVY weightlifting while on the diet. Have 1/2 to 1 extra protein. it will make the weight loss slower but you will feel better and be building more muscle.

the doctor has even called me obese at 145 lbs and I'm 5'2''. he's told me not to exercise. but as long as you're burning (in ketosis), no one will care really.
  • Mindywv2003
    Options
    As I said, to each his own,,,, If I want to pay someone to check my Journal on a daily basis and check my urine for Ketones,,,thats what works for me,the Weight watchers etc. doesn't work for me, but may work for you
    It also makes me accountable for my actions.
    I don't blame and person or company who is out to make $$, thats a part of life. I don't expect to care about me personally... thats what my family Dr. is there for, if he sees something not right with the program/tests he lets me know and they ablige, never had a problem with that.
    As some people like to make their own clothes I chose to buy my own and the Companies make $$ off me. thats pretty simple.
    The Dr. at my clinic has been there for many years and is a bit of a quack..... he is only giving you a script, the nurses is who checks every thing to a T. And that's the advise I learn on.