Roast goose?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
My New Year Eve ritual is cooking Christmas dinner with a girlfriend. She doesn't get a proper Christmas dinner when they visit her Vietnamese family and I don't normally do a classic Christmas roast either.

This year we will be roasting goose for the first time. Does anyone have any favourite recipes? Any tips from people experienced with roasting goose? I read that having a turkey baster is useful as there is a lot of fat to remove.

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    * Remember to prick the skin horizontally without penetrating the flesh, using a pin or thin skewer.
    * Use a rack to allow the oil to drip off, without saturating the bottom of your roast.
    * If you like a crispy goose, lots and lots of salt on the skin

I prefer to roast game birds with sweet citrus or sturdier dried reconstituted berries.

https://youtu.be/OebHfOEUTNQ
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Treat it like a larger duck. I find the fat renders best when you manage to separate the skin from the meat. This also result in very crispy skin. Do it with your hands as if you were rubbing butter under the skin of a chicken or turkey before roasting it - except without the butter of course.

Unless you're roasting something directly under it on a rack and said rack over a pan with water in it. The water cuts down on the fat smoking but you'll still be able to collect the rendered fat.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I make duck and goose all the time!

I typically make German Christmas Goose

The easiest is to have it on a rack above a pan.
    Cross hatch the skin - don’t prick through to the meat.
    A cut up apple inside the goose adds fragrance and flavor.

I have a convection roast setting on my oven - which is now the only way I’ll roast poultry. It’s crisps the skin and cooks in half the time.

Also- I put vegetables in the pan to mingle with the drippings. Super tasty! If not- save the drippings to use for cooking. Goose is technically red meat not white- I cook it medium not well done. Same for duck.

I hope you post pictures!

Ps - I’m making a duck l’orange - I had no idea they were so many duck and goose fans here! Yay!

M
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    It turns out you can't order a whole goose once Christmas is past here in the UK. We did manage to get a big duck instead. Unfortunately forgot to take a picture before we dug in. I'm glad I bought the turkey baster as that made removing the rendered fat much easier.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    It turns out you can't order a whole goose once Christmas is past here in the UK. We did manage to get a big duck instead. Unfortunately forgot to take a picture before we dug in. I'm glad I bought the turkey baster as that made removing the rendered fat much easier.

Yum!! There is always next time! :)