Turkey leftovers!

Options
SueSueDio
SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
edited December 2018 in Recipes
It's that time of year... and I can't be the only one who has way too much turkey after cooking a whole bird for my family of three...!

What are your favourite recipes/ideas to use up cooked turkey? I'll have to freeze some because my husband already said he doesn't want to be eating turkey for the next two weeks, but there must be some ways I can sneak it into other recipes.

(Gluten free options are particularly welcome! :) )

[Edit: I know I could look online for ideas - but I'd like to hear what you guys have found to be tasty and low-calorie options for leftovers.]

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    Easy chicken salad. Mix chopped turkey with a chopped avocado, a jar of commercial salsa and some chopped coriander. Serve in soft taco shells.

Also avgolemono soup, and coronation chicken for sandwich fillings.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    It's that time of year... and I can't be the only one who has way too much turkey after cooking a whole bird for my family of three...!

What are your favourite recipes/ideas to use up cooked turkey? I'll have to freeze some because my husband already said he doesn't want to be eating turkey for the next two weeks, but there must be some ways I can sneak it into other recipes.

[Edit: I know I could look online for ideas - but I'd like to hear what you guys have found to be tasty and low-calorie options for leftovers.]

I make turkey salad for sandwiches. Just like tuna salad, but with turkey instead. Also, I freeze portions of cubed turkey to add to salads.

My favourite thing to do with Christmas dinner leftovers is to freeze complete ready single meals. Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, veggies. Very easy - a few weeks later once the turkey trauma has worn off - to grab one, defrost and re-heat for a fabulous dinner.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Use it anywhere you'd normally use chicken. It will still be turkey, no fooling him there, but completely different from the holiday turkey presentation.
    • Turkey pot pie
    • Turkey vegetable soup
    • Turkey and rice casserole (we make one with enchilada sauce topped with cheese that everyone loves)
    • Turkey and dumplings (obv not GF, sorry :frowning: )
    • Turkey, bacon, lettuce, & tomato sandwiches (not a fan of turkey/chicken salad sandwiches)
    • Chopped up as a salad topping (similar to above without the bread, I guess!)

We all have things we're not fond of leftover that everyone else seems to love. Mine is spaghetti and meatballs/meat sauce. I'd be sad if my husband threatened to never make it again just because I said I don't like it leftover. Luckily, turkey is easier to dress up than leftover pasta! :lol:
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

We all have things we're not fond of leftover that everyone else seems to love. Mine is spaghetti and meatballs/meat sauce. I'd be sad if my husband threatened to never make it again just because I said I don't like it leftover. Luckily, turkey is easier to dress up than leftover pasta! :lol:

Yeah, I, too, find that the pasta suffers when re-heated as a leftover.

When I make spaghetti and meatballs, I keep the sauce separate. Put spaghetti on dinner plate, and then top with the meatballs and sauce. That way, any leftover sauce can be frozen on its own and then fresh pasta cooked up for next time. :)
  • pinuplove
    Options

Yeah, I, too, find that the pasta suffers when re-heated as a leftover.

When I make spaghetti and meatballs, I keep the sauce separate. Put spaghetti on dinner plate, and then top with the meatballs and sauce. That way, any leftover sauce can be frozen on its own and then fresh pasta cooked up for next time. :)

Meatball sandwiches :yum:
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    That, too! <3
  • pinuplove
    Options
    That, too! <3

Now I want meatballs, but turkey pot pie is already on the menu. Perhaps I should have whined more :wink:
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    That, too! <3

Now I want meatballs, but turkey pot pie is already on the menu. Perhaps I should have whined more :wink:

We're having open-faced hot turkey sandwiches for dinner, smothered in gravy, with mashed potatoes and stuffing on the side. Oh, and green beans. ;)

Tomorrow I'll make some turkey salad for lunches and the rest will get packaged up and frozen.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    That, too! <3

We're having open-faced hot turkey sandwiches for dinner, smothered in gravy, with mashed potatoes and stuffing on the side. Oh, and green beans. ;)

Tomorrow I'll make some turkey salad for lunches and the rest will get packaged up and frozen.

That sounds delicious! I'm thinking of having leftover dressing, potatoes, gravy, and ham for lunch again today. The turkey is already earmarked for pot pie :disappointed: No problem with too many leftovers around here!
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Like @SueSueDio there's only 3 of us, so lots of yummy leftovers! <3
  • pinuplove
    Options
    We had 8 people (including 2 teenage boys) and a smallish turkey. I'm thinking next year we should definitely size up :tongue:
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    We had 8 people (including 2 teenage boys) and a smallish turkey. I'm thinking next year we should definitely size up :tongue:

2 teenage boys count as at least 4 adult men. ;)
  • pinuplove
    Options

2 teenage boys count as at least 4 adult men. ;)

And unfortunately I can't just send them home because they are home :lol:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I didn't host, so no left overs for me. Except for all the cookies.

I like all of the above suggestions. Sandwiches, soups, pot pie. Yum.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

So you had your Christmas meal without inviting any other people over?? Why so much leftovers.

My position is definitely no turkey, but if that was ham I wouldn't complain about eating leftovers everyday.
  • pinuplove
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've had this one bookmarked since Thanksgiving. It looks like a great, different way to use leftover turkey! It could probably be adapted to be GF (you'd need an alternative flour for the topping). I don't ever actually have canned chipotle peppers on hand, but I think it would still be good without those. Maybe add a little extra chili or ground cayenne for spice.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/269275/turkey-tamale-pie/