anxiety issues

Options
Ok I have noticed when stepping foot in a gym I pour sweat, problem solving was getting a little gym in basement.

I noticed when I have short meeting at work and I sweat more then normal.

I try not to think about it, since that probably doesn't help, any ideas

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Therapy or medication?

Anxiety is pretty common...exercise outdoors and a mindfulness practice help me.

If you drink alcohol or caffeinated drinks, that will make it worse. (The alcohol - later on, when it has mostly metabolized, it causes a rebound effect in the nervous system which feels like anxiety.)
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Therapy or medication?

Anxiety is pretty common...exercise outdoors and a mindfulness practice help me.

If you drink alcohol or caffeinated drinks, that will make it worse. (The alcohol - later on, when it has mostly metabolized, it causes a rebound effect in the nervous system which feels like anxiety.)

This is great news thanks, very well could be alcohol, and also drink lots of caffeine
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Like was said above, anxiety is very common. I would also suggest therapy and/or medication. Exercising helps some people (though I'm not one of those people) but there are loads of strategies that could help.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Definitely thanks, I plan on doing a sober free for a month and maybe lower my caffeine level doqn
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Wingsont84 wrote: »
    Definitely thanks, I plan on doing a sober free for a month and maybe lower my caffeine level doqn

Team dry January!! ☺️
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Wingsont84 wrote: »
    Ok I have noticed when stepping foot in a gym I pour sweat, problem solving was getting a little gym in basement.

I noticed when I have short meeting at work and I sweat more then normal.

I try not to think about it, since that probably doesn't help, any ideas

You may want to look into meditation and relaxation exercises to help with anxiety symptoms. Also, looking into how to adopt healthy thought patterns is important.
  • ItsAJourny
    ItsAJourny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said eliminating/reducing alcohol and caffeine has a positive effect. The one thing that helps my anxiety the most is yoga. I am not sure why. But when I do yoga, I feel so calm and eat less and feel more whole.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I took anti-anxiety meds and ended up zoned out of everything. I couldn't feel. Then, when I came off of them, I had withdraw symptoms like a heroin withdraw. It was horrific. I know some people are capable of being on meds without any issues. Yay for them. But if you don't want the hassle, don't be pressured into going onto meds.

I have social anxiety and complex anxiety and panic disorder. It is hell sometimes. I find myself struggle to go into a store sometimes. It is okay.

What I have found that helps is mindfulness in all things. Telling myself I am okay even when my body says otherwise. If you want to try meds, talk to your doctor but realize that there are risks. Including potential withdraw symptoms that are DIFFICULT when coming off of it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    I took anti-anxiety meds and ended up zoned out of everything. I couldn't feel. Then, when I came off of them, I had withdraw symptoms like a heroin withdraw. It was horrific. I know some people are capable of being on meds without any issues. Yay for them. But if you don't want the hassle, don't be pressured into going onto meds.

I have social anxiety and complex anxiety and panic disorder. It is hell sometimes. I find myself struggle to go into a store sometimes. It is okay.

What I have found that helps is mindfulness in all things. Telling myself I am okay even when my body says otherwise. If you want to try meds, talk to your doctor but realize that there are risks. Including potential withdraw symptoms that are DIFFICULT when coming off of it.

Not wanting to take meds is totally different than demonizing them. I mean I've also had awful experiences with some forms of therapy (I'm looking at you DBT, who made mindfulness popular in western mental health care). That doesn't mean I'm going to say, "don't ever practice mindfulness!" I personally will probably never do any mental health centric mindfulness stuff again, but I'm not going to actively discourage other people from doing so.

I don't think anyone here is pressuring anyone to take meds, rather pointing out that saying that you shouldn't take them because of side effects is irresponsible. Never mind, of course, that not everyone has side effects, that there are a number of different psychotropic medications on the market, and that there are easy ways to avoid or lessen some side effects (ones that come from not titrating slowly off and on medication).

I'll note, I'm not actually on any psychotropic meds right now. They flat out don't work for me. It'd be awesome if they did, but they really don't. I say that having tried 15 different ones, had genetic testing to see what potentially could work/wouldn't work, and a blood test that got sent to a lab in Utah (that a friend of mine works at amusingly enough) to make sure that I had a therapeutic dose of one of them.