Diet and no exercise. Will it work?

Options
I plan on just following my calorie goals, and not exercising. Will it still work?
Last time I used MFP I followed calorie restriction and jogged 20 mins in the morning. It worked out well. I lost 15lbs in 6 weeks. But now that it's winter and I live in the Pacific NW its too rainy and cold for me. I wonder if I will still lose 2lbs a week.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yes, you'll lose weight, but it's likely you'll also lose more muscle than you would if you were exercising.

I hear you; I'm in Toronto. I still try to get some walking in and there's a glider in my basement for when I can't. I also strength train with dumbbells. Can you walk a few laps in a shopping mall? And if you don't have weights, there's body-weight exercises.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you aren't particularly large or overweight, 2 lb x week may not be a reasonable goal.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No exercise is fine and you'll not look terrible without it. The main issue is huge calorie deficits are hard to maintain without the extra burn from exercise, and when coming from a larger weight, the loss of muscle mass can cause issues.

If you're like 130 pounds slimming to 115, it's not really going to make any difference (but 2 pounds a week here would be madness).
  • skyelynnj
    skyelynnj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do walk for 20 mins on my lunch break. I work in the medical field so I'm always on my feet. I am currently 166lbs and want to get down to 150-155. Thank you all for your insight! 😊
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    at a turtles pace but it will work
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    skyelynnj wrote: »
    I do walk for 20 mins on my lunch break. I work in the medical field so I'm always on my feet. I am currently 166lbs and want to get down to 150-155. Thank you all for your insight! 😊

2 lbs/week is absolutely not for you. You won't want to hear this, but so close to goal, you should only be aiming for .5 lb/week so as not to sacrifice more lean muscle mass than is necessary. And you'll want to make sure you select an activity level that accurately reflects your active job. Wish you the best :)