Hospital help needed

Options
ladythayne
ladythayne Posts: 7 Member
Okay, I won't get into why I'm here beyond that my son requires hospital care. This has been home for 2 weeks with 2 to go. I need some suggestions for healthy snacks I can have brought in that don't require a fridge. I have some healthy cereal, seeds and nuts.....? My brain is mush, I'm sure there are obvious options but I'm running on little sleep.

Replies

• littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I love to mix pepitas with canned peaches. How about other fruits?
  • Shiree130
    Shiree130 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been there and trying to eat right in a hospital can be hard at times (and expensive) . What I do is get a bag of apples and oranges along with a bunch of bananas. They don't require refrigeration and are a good quick reasonably priced snack. I'm not sure if y'all are confined to the room but when we stay it helped me and my kids a lot just even taking a walk on the floor. It helps mentally to get a different change of scenery. I'll be thinking of y'all.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Carrots? Those tuna snack packs? Hospital food is expensive Sorry about your son. I have been in and out of the hospital for the last 4 years including long hospitalizations (my last one ended on dec 7 and was 88 days long)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Shiree130 wrote: »
    I've been there and trying to eat right in a hospital can be hard at times (and expensive) . What I do is get a bag of apples and oranges along with a bunch of bananas. They don't require refrigeration and are a good quick reasonably priced snack. I'm not sure if y'all are confined to the room but when we stay it helped me and my kids a lot just even taking a walk on the floor. It helps mentally to get a different change of scenery. I'll be thinking of y'all.

I'm a compulsive walker when I am hospitalized. I don't go far during the day when the drs usually come but after seeing them I wandered throughout the hospital. It is what kept me sane.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you take a mini-cooler - like a lunch bag style one to keep food cold?

i travel lots and keep one - but go-tos - cook up some chicken - you can eat that cold; greek yogurt; hummus/veggies; fiberone bars
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Also ask the doctors and nurses what they do, there may be takeout or delivery options in the area which you aren't familiar with. We are lucky in that our hospital has a great cafeteria with modestly priced fresh fruit, vegetables, and an on-demand grill with lean meats. Wishing you strength and health for your son.
  • ladythayne
    Options
    can you take a mini-cooler - like a lunch bag style one to keep food cold?

i travel lots and keep one - but go-tos - cook up some chicken - you can eat that cold; greek yogurt; hummus/veggies; fiberone bars

I asked but they wouldn't let me. There was no place to put it except the floor and it "created a trip hazzard for nursing staff"
  • ladythayne
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to walk but I have a 47% tear in my Achilles tendon which makes it painful. Took days to get my feet properly elevated and 2 more to get the swelling down. I've been a mess. Thanks to all for the well wishes, its appreciated ❤ I do get fruit brought in when I can. We are on our 3rd hospital and he's starting rehab now. Long slow road but we're moving forward.