Weight lifting at home on a budget

Options
I'm sure this has been addressed before but I'm new and couldn't find any suggestions when I searched the threads.
I know that it's important to incorporate strength training in my fitness regimen but at the moment I don't have access to a gym. I'd like to build up my own little home gym eventually - but it's gonna take time.
So, my question is: for those of you who do lift weights, if I was to try and begin using them regularly, what would be the top 3 or 4 things that you would recommend I get and try to use? I'm nervous of lifting weights and have only ever used machines.

Replies

• cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Maybe some dumbbells to start?! There are a lot of body weight things you can do...squats, pushups, lunges...then add dumbbells while doing those
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have no room for weights so I've chosen to do body weight exercises. Push-ups, planks, lunges, etc. I do use a set of adjustable weight dumbbells for things like bent over rows and dead-lifts.

A good set of dumbbells can be quite versatile. Those and a bench will allow you to do things like curls, triceps presses, bench presses, squats, so on.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    cogirljb55 wrote: »
    Maybe some dumbbells to start?! There are a lot of body weight things you can do...squats, pushups, lunges...then add dumbbells while doing those

I agree with this. Start with body weight exercises and make sure your form is correct. Then start adding dumbbells. Do NOT be nervous about lifting! Learn form and technique and then add weight as you can.

I'd even suggest to wait until end of Feb. or early March to purchase equipment, whether new or used. By then the "New Year" rush will have died down and people may be getting rid of unused stuff and unsold inventory in stores will go on sale.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would get a set of dumbbell handles with standard plates and a very simple (meaning no need for incline) bench. This is the kind of dumbbells I mean:

Yes4All 105 lbs Adjustable Cast Iron Dumbbells - ²DWP2Z https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GC76NW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8MsjCbZ0K1GYB

You can do a full body workout with this set for quite awhile. In addition, stores like Target and Walmart, as well as secondhand sporting goods stores, always sell standard plates. You can get a set of 10 lb plates when the time is right and you can later get a standard bar and 25 or 35 lb plates.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can get dumbells and dumbell handles with plates at many thrift stores. I've gotten all of mine at Good will. You just have to check often to see what they have out at any given time, since they don't stock specific items like a retail store does.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    lift 4 is a great lifting program online. I love it
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    dumbbells - around here they are about $1 per pound, and you really only NEED one of each weight for however heavy you want to lift since you can alternate arms, and alternate weights in each arm as you workout - just plan to do everything in even numbered sets.

wrist/ankle weights - sometimes you can find these cheaper than equivalent dumbbell weights, and you can use a 3# weight or 1# weights added to your dumbbells to allow for smaller increments

Ex. you get dumbbells in 5#, 10#, 15# and 20# weight, a investment of about $50 (new, you might find them used cheaper)...you get a pair of 3# wrist weights and now you have 8#, 11# 13#, 16#, 18#, 21#, 23# and 26# by adding one or both of the 3# weights to the dumbbells or your wrist, whatever is easier for that particular move.

you can use those big exercise balls instead of a bench

you can add on as you go
  • jemhh
    Options
    I suggest handles and plates because increasing the weight by 5# at a time can be difficult for many people. YMMV of course but that's my reasoning. The static weight dumbbells can be nice because you don't have to futz around adding or removing plates. But I prefer the handles and plates overall. (Just giving some pros/cons of either type.)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    In 1984 I first started out with a 120lb weight set for $20. Later on I picked up a used bench as a hand-me-down. Start simple and base your purchases on precise goals. You don't need a huge amount of expensive equipment.

You're never going to go wrong with a set of dumbbells. I still have the same ones from decades back and still use them everyday.
  • jemhh
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    In 1984 I first started out with a 120lb weight set for $20. Later on I picked up a used bench as a hand-me-down. Start simple and base your purchases on precise goals. You don't need a huge amount of expensive equipment.

You're never going to go wrong with a set of dumbbells. I still have the same ones from decades back and still use them everyday.

Agreed.

I started out with the dumbbell handles/plates. Then I got a cheap secondhand bench and barbell set (one of those bars that weighs practically nothing, 2 25lb and 2 15 lb concrete filled plastic plates) for $25. I could still use the dumbbell plates on that bar. Then I added a 15 lb standard bar and bit by bit added more standard plates, squat stands, etc. I'm 4 years in and have only reached the point of needing to move to an Olympic set if I want to add more weight in the past few months.

If you have the budget and want to start out with "everything", do it. But it's not necessary and not necessarily the "best thing" for everybody.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I got almost 250 pounds of weights off kijiji for $50. Got my bench for free. Check FB marketplace, local ads - a lot of moving sales etc - second hand is perfectly fine (and agreed, keep an eye out for those post resolutioners).

Start low, work on form. Get a coach if you can, or pair up with someone here and exchange form vids (or follow other lifters on IG and post form vids on there for feedback).

And just keep trying. Failure isn't bad.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I got the adjustable bowflex dumbbells that go up to 50lbs each. A little pricy but I don't have alot of room for racks.

I do squats, overhead press, floor press, hip thrusters & bentover row. And I walk/hike for cardio.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Landmine sleeve, Olympic barbell and weight set