Help me figure out my shoulder pain...

A week ago I took a tumble and landed hard on my shoulder. It was all I could do to stand up and shake it out. Within 15 minutes it was down to a 3-4 on the pain scale, and went down to a 1-2 since then. I have no bruising, no visible swelling, no tender spots, and massage does nothing. I can throw boxing punches at about 60% before I feel pain, in fact I can do mostly anything without issue. Certain motions, like taking off a shirt or putting on a jacket are unbearable. I also can’t lie on it. Given how quickly the pain subsided initially, I thought it would have been all gone by now. But it hasn’t really changed in a week. How long do you think before it gets better? Any idea what I actually injured?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    You should ask your doctor about this, it might require xrays to check for fractures. Hope it turns out to be nothing bad, good luck! :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    You need to get it diagnosed by a medical professional. Until you know what is damaged you can't know what treatment would be best or whether you are prolonging the injury with high impact exercise such as boxing.

Hope you get it sorted out soon, I have Arthritis so I know what it is like to be in prolonged pain. :/
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2018
    Definitely get xrays done. But by your limited range of motion, sounds like it could be a rotator cuff injury. Please don't try to rehab this on your own.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Ok, thanks guys. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on the Internet. I'm guessing labral tear, but also go to a real doctor and find out.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on the Internet.
    HAhaha! Love it!

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning, they got me in right away :)

• snickerscharlie
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on the Internet.
    HAhaha! Love it!

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning, they got me in right away :)

Great! Keep us posted!
  • LC_8U2
    LC_8U2 Posts: 26 Member
    https://youtu.be/a34hcVgTUeA
    https://youtu.be/kITRkhhri2o

I had just seen these prior to seeing your request..
    Hope your better soon...
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,165 Member
    Definitely get xrays done. But by your limited range of motion, sounds like it could be a rotator cuff injury. Please don't try to rehab this on your own.

I agree with the rotator cuff problem. In that case, the XRay will not be sufficient but an MRI would. Let your doctor decide and slow down your exercises. Use ice on the area few times a day and Advil or Aleve (if you can take either of them) to help with the pain and inflammation. But only a medical professional can diagnose your problem.
    PS: I just read that you got an appointment. Glad that you did and good luck.
  • snickerscharlie
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Labrum wins! Rotator cuff impinged, but no tear suspected. Sounds like it takes the typical person 6 weeks to feel better. I'm glad I went to the Dr. As I leave the country in a few days and I would have been worried if it didn't start to feel better. Now that I know it's supposed to be slow, I'm not going to worry about it. Probably the best time to happen, too, as I won't be doing my normal workouts. Thanks for the push to the Dr. Everyone! :)

Let the healing begin! <3
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited December 2018
    Glad you have your diagnosis and can work on healing.

So many people self diagnose and treat, this can make an injury worse. I learned my lesson on this the hard way. :/
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Don't mess with your shoulders. I ignore pain for a year and seems I have a torn rotator cuff they causes a an impingement and arthritis developing. Best to have it checked