Planet Fitness or YMCA

So I am now reaching my goal weight and soon want to start lifting. So for a teenager which would be best for that. To build muscle mass and such and lift which gym would be best?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    First decide what program you want to do. (Lots of people start with Stronglifts 5x5, but there are lots out there if you just do an online search.) Then check each one out to see what equipment is has, whether you like the atmosphere, what kind of people go there, etc. Both have outlets everywhere, but each center can vary a ton even within brands.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    In the particular city where I live, the YMCA would win hands-down. Loads more free weights, deadlift platform, trainers who have actually competed in bodybuilding and powerlifting, etc. Not to mention indoor & outdoor pools, hot tub, sauna, etc...

Of course PF is cheaper (but for a teen/student rate, I'm thinking the Y wouldn't be that much higher).

However, of course it's gonna depend on the particular branches/facilities where you live. Go check them out; ask for a week pass or something so you can get a feel for both - not just the equipment but also the other members and the atmosphere of each.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    I’m sure I’ll get blasted but PF is fine for a complete beginner or someone interested in only cardio equipment. Anyone serious about weight training should likely outgrow it. I know there are no “must do” lifts but core compounds cannot really be done there without a free barbell. My Y is really good and even hosts powerlifting meets but I’ve belonged to ones without much good equipment too.

Ok fire away with the woos
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    The Y no doubt if you want to do serious lifting like Squats and deadlifts etc.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    YMCA also has a community element which goes to a wonderful cause, my opinion is it has a better charitable focus
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Which ever has the equipment for the types of workouts you want to do. I prefer the Y because of the free weights. But, that doesn't mean that PF won't be a better fit for you. Determine your goals and what you need to achieve them and go from there.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    YMCA is very expensive versus Planet Fitness. They are comparable with their offerings with the exception that Planet Fitness is "a la carte" when it comes to additional fitness classes but it still will be cheaper than the YMCA. If you join the YMCA you are supporting a non-profit that gives back to the community where Planet Fitness is publicly traded under the symbol PLNT.