Best bang for your buck treadmill?

Options
Hi y’all,
I’m looking to get a treadmill, but don’t want to spend too much.. It would primarily be for my husband since he doesn’t like running outside, and I might use it too on rainy days (marathon training here!). For me I’d like a distance tracking feature for sure.. incline isn’t too important to me since I run in FL my normal trails are pretty flat. Hubby is a beginner and is just looking to improve his fitness. Neither of us are large people, both normal weight and average height.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't want to burst your bubble but if you're training for longer races you're going to want to get a good quality treadmill and they're not cheap. I rarely run on mine any more but I can recommend Pacemaster from personal experience (we paid about $1,600 in Canada over 10 years ago, put a ton on miles on it and have never had any sevice issues)

If I was doing it again I'd probably opt for a membership at somewhere like Planet Fitness. At $10 a month I'd get my money's worth just in hot water and not have a treadmill taking up space in the basement.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex brand treadmill. I've had it for about 10 years now, very good quality. You may want to look into getting a used one. Lots of people buy them and hardly ever use them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that cheapo treadmills (under $1000) are not worth it (unless you only walk).

Check out treadmilldoctor.com for some recommendations and look on local sales sites for used ones.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Seven years ago, I bought the cheapest Proform they sold at Sears. I think it was $400. It even has the little arm handle doohickeys. I bought an extended warranty. I burned out the motor in ~2 years.

When I called the warranty people they seemed surprised that anyone had burned it out through actual use. My friends kept asking where I stored my clothes if I was using the TM for running.

They replaced the motor and something else ($700 worth of free-to-me repairs to a $400 treadmill lol).

I almost never use it now (except as part of a gym workout).

Every warranty is expired now. It sounds like a jet engine. It shakes, the belt rubs on the casing every so often. I ran 17 of a 21 mile long run during tornado warnings on it over the summer and it still smells funny (like a burnt clutch if you’ve ever smelled that). It’s not long for this world.

I’ll be in the market for a new one soon-ish. This one has done more than expected-far and above the call of duty. But I am not looking at spending less than $2k for a new one and I rarely use it.
  • inglysh731
    inglysh731 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my treadmill. Its a BH S5TI or something similar. I use it with a foot pod and Zwift... it's fun as hell and I hate running.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I bought a brand called: True

If I'm not mistaken, they are made in St. Louis. ( Murica'!)

anyway.... it's built like a tank and I've beat it up pretty good. It keeps running and running.

The price? dunno... somewhere around $2500. (cheaper than cardiac by-pass!)
  • bashaq
    bashaq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can't remember where the gym is located in my house :) but recall it is a professional one that wasn't cheap. I highly recommend using the incline as it is a totally different work out with different muscles used. I look forward to visiting my home gym as my New Year's commitment!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Woahhh okay didn’t realize they ran so high lol! Thanks for the info y’all.. yup good point cheaper than cardiac by pass 😅. And I would rather get one meant for running that lasts. Appreciate the recommendations, keep em coming!
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    We have a Sole brand one that I like. I think it was around $1500 but we’ve had it for several years.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I've got a Sole F63. I've been using it going on 4.5 years now, under 1000.00. I can only train 6-7 miles on it before I HAVE to run outside, so longer training miles I don't do in it.

I keep it cleaned/dust free and lubed, I think it has many years left on it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    We have a Pacemaster Pro Plus II that was in the $2000 range but it's been going for nigh on twenty years without a sneeze and is solid. I bought a cheap exercise bike thinking what could go wrong? and within two months it clicks and whines and is generally annoying. Save for a good treadmill or loke someone said, a cheap gym membership will come with some high end ones.