How often do you practice or train your 1 rep maximums (squat, deadlift, bench)?

billkansas
billkansas Posts: 267 Member
Maybe because I'm getting older or because a past couple injuries killed my progress- I seem to never get around to training or testing my 1 rep maxes.

What's your routine, method, or frequency for this? How common is it for someone to really hurt themselves doing it?

Thank you,

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    About 3x per year at a meet I test.

If you are not a powerlifter, there is no benefit to testing other than bragging rights. There are several ways to figure out your 1RM without taxing your CNS and slowing or more than likely reversing your progress of training.

It's not common for injuries to happen on 1RM tests alone.

Literature suggests injuries are way more likely to happen from improper load management from training, not specifically performing a 1RM . To go further just because you feel a tweak during a lift doesn't mean you injured yourself during a lift.

There always a chance, but it's extremely low.

I usually open a lift with the same weight I have tripled at RPE 9.5 just before the meet or about 90% of my estimated 1RM.

Second lift varies depending on 1st, but it's in the 95-98%.

Third will be in the area of 102%.

The process as well as my actual training is controlled with fatigue, stress, and recovery in mind within my programming.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I think I tested my 1RM for deadlift 3 years ago out of curiosity. Haven't done it since, probably won't in the future. I don't really squat or bench heavy so those are out for me. It is not an important factor for my personal goals.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    When I was in college, we would max out twice in a school year. It was fun! I played a team sport so everyone would be around you cheering. I think it would be hard to hype myself up for it now. And yes, as an American, I can’t afford an injury right now.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Actually never. Honesty I thought about it after reading stuff here and seeing peoples numbers they post. I'm just a 50+ lifter progressing in my own way and found it not that important to know or strive for based on the way I train.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Found my bench by accident! I mentioned the weight and reps and someone on here said I'd found my 1 rep max...I'm not quite sure what this all means 😐
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    About 3x per year at a meet I test.

If you are not a powerlifter, there is no benefit to testing other than bragging rights. There are several ways to figure out your 1RM without taxing your CNS and slowing or more than likely reversing your progress of training.
    This^^. And I would add, "unless you are a competitive powerlifter. There is a power element to the PHUL program that I am running but I seriously could not care less about testing my 1RM. As long as I am progressing, I'm happy.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I tested bench after a 10 week training cycle, b/c I had taken a 7 week hiatus due to shoulder issue. I just wanted to see if I was close to previous max.

I tested deadlift at my last meet almost a year ago. I'm not competing again soon, so I will likely test deadlift in 5 weeks (at the end of my training cycle). I'm testing maybe 2-3 times a year depending on whether I feel like testing/competing at the end of 10+ week training cycles.

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    edited December 2018
    I never have. I'm not really interested in doing so. I use the fitnotes app and it does give an estimated 1 rep max, I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Never; not a powerlifter or strongman athlete (there is no point in me attempting so risk >>> benefit, simple as that).
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    I think I'll continue performing the first set of my "competition lifts" as 1 rep at RPE 8 (1RM would be 1.08 * weight lifted at RPE 8 - thank you Barbell Medicine) and take a periodic video of it to make sure the bar is moving fast enough that I don't consider it a cheat of RPE 8. Then I can compare video to video and perhaps know that I am stronger.

Is this the decent approach for reliable 1 rep max "estimate"?

I'd like to compete someday. Gotta start somewhere! I think I will try and start testing my actual 1RM 3 or 4 times a year also.

Thanks for everyone's responses!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Never...I hardly ever even run heavy cycles anymore because I don't recover well from them and heavy lifting tends to interfere with other things I like to do like cycling, rock climbing, etc. I typically just work in either 8, 10, or 12 rep ranges. I've never felt compelled to test my 1RM as I am not a competitive lifter, powerlifter, strongman, etc. I mostly lift to cross train and maintain some semblance of a reasonable physique as I get older (44).
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I have done it for a charity fundraiser where it was a mock powerlifting meet and on occasion when my calculated 1RM, my training max, and my physical 1RM line up in a way where my top Joker Set turns into a 1RM. I set calculated 1RM's quite often but consider them only a guide.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    I think I'll continue performing the first set of my "competition lifts" as 1 rep at RPE 8 (1RM would be 1.08 * weight lifted at RPE 8 - thank you Barbell Medicine) and take a periodic video of it to make sure the bar is moving fast enough that I don't consider it a cheat of RPE 8. Then I can compare video to video and perhaps know that I am stronger.

Is this the decent approach for reliable 1 rep max "estimate"?

I'd like to compete someday. Gotta start somewhere! I think I will try and start testing my actual 1RM 3 or 4 times a year also.

Thanks for everyone's responses!

Yes that would get you in the area, but could be skewed depending when/how you do it.

The closer you test to one rep the more accurate and I personally never consider anything over three reps acurate. Just keep in mind, my calculations are indeed to help deyermine openers for competitions. My volume for training is 95% straight RPE.

Are you running any of the programs from BM that have a test week or deload at the end? That would give you a more accurate estimate then say you just test randomly when your body has more fatigue built up in the mist of bulk of volume.

By far the smartest thing I did for training was sign up for my first meet. Sign up today if the interest you, there is no better time.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Whenever I compete. So maybe once per year.