Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

USA vs. Europe, NY Times

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    American food (including packaged) is hugely variable, to generalize about it as if it was all one thing is odd.

Personally, I rarely eat anything with HFCS, but it does tend to taste less good than those made with sugar, to me. I don't really eat a ton of packaged foods that include sweetener, though.
  • jonewe05
    jonewe05 Posts: 5 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Thank you, The_Enginerd. So, so many plants can have many more proteins, its fortunate, they do not appear in our diet that often.

Like bananas, many apple varieties, potatoes, oats, leeks, peanuts, strawberries, ginger, watermelons etc?

Plants *have* to have more proteins than animals because they require all the cellular machinery to carry out photosynthesis. I don't get why you think more proteins = bad?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    ...American packaged food comes in all kinds of forms and tastes. This is a bizarre generalization.

Actually...I would agree with this one, and I'm an American. I had a medical issue for a while where I was having bad allergic reactions but we didn't know to what. Ended up having to make all my own foods from very fresh products, couldn't even have grains or dried spices. And when I was trying foods again that were packaged - yeah, blech. I honestly thought something new had been done to the foods I tried, because there was so much bitterness or this odd chemical-aftertaste. And then finally did some research and found out that, no, it's just what we do to our packaged food. All of it.

Because while there may be variety in the actual food itself, there is a huge homogeneity in the chemicals use ON the food. Most grains, for example, have certain chemicals used on them during storage, like insecticides or anti-fungals. Most processing lines use similar soaps and cleansers, and most packages have some similar linings because it's food safe and the cheapest. Most packaged foods use one out of only a small list of preservatives or anti-bacterials/anti-fungals on them. Most foods contain a small number of ingredients that have a lot of chemicals used in processing (for example, corn starch and corn syrup both have sulfites used in their processing, during the wet corn milling).

And if you don't eat these all the time? You CAN taste these. And it absolutely is bitter or has odd taste that I can only describe as 'chemical.' Kind of like how some toilets have that blue water and it smells chemical - you couldn't say WHAT chemical, but it's noticeable, you know?

These chemicals are often not on any labels, because these are used for 'processing,' so are not considered ingredients. Also, there are enough people who have allergy-equivalent reactions to some of the more common preservatives that we know that these chemicals DO remain in the food. Because these folks react to the food.

Heck, for a good example? Buy some 100% orange juice, and then buy some oranges. Juice the oranges. Then boil both the store bought juice and the fresh juice until you have maybe 1/3 the volume and taste them. The store bought orange juice is tremendously more bitter, in my experience, and that bitterness is the same as I started to taste after I had been away from packaged foods for a long while.

Not snarky, genuinely curious -- would you consider yourself to be a super-taster?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    ...American packaged food comes in all kinds of forms and tastes. This is a bizarre generalization.

Actually...I would agree with this one, and I'm an American. I had a medical issue for a while where I was having bad allergic reactions but we didn't know to what. Ended up having to make all my own foods from very fresh products, couldn't even have grains or dried spices. And when I was trying foods again that were packaged - yeah, blech. I honestly thought something new had been done to the foods I tried, because there was so much bitterness or this odd chemical-aftertaste. And then finally did some research and found out that, no, it's just what we do to our packaged food. All of it.

Because while there may be variety in the actual food itself, there is a huge homogeneity in the chemicals use ON the food. Most grains, for example, have certain chemicals used on them during storage, like insecticides or anti-fungals. Most processing lines use similar soaps and cleansers, and most packages have some similar linings because it's food safe and the cheapest. Most packaged foods use one out of only a small list of preservatives or anti-bacterials/anti-fungals on them. Most foods contain a small number of ingredients that have a lot of chemicals used in processing (for example, corn starch and corn syrup both have sulfites used in their processing, during the wet corn milling).

And if you don't eat these all the time? You CAN taste these. And it absolutely is bitter or has odd taste that I can only describe as 'chemical.' Kind of like how some toilets have that blue water and it smells chemical - you couldn't say WHAT chemical, but it's noticeable, you know?

I rarely eat packaged foods. I sometimes eat oats (Bob's Red Mill, usually), I sometimes eat dried pasta (imported from Italy), I sometimes eat canned tomatoes (Italian or American, no sugar added, because that's weird), I buy dry beans and lentils, and I sometimes buy canned beans/chickpeas. I buy cottage cheese and yogurt from the farmers market more often than not (although sometimes Fage yogurt). (I buy eggs from a farm too.) I get tofu/tempeh, but it's non GMO (because I buy it at WF more than because I care).

I buy olive oil, vinegars, and spices.

Hmm. I do buy smoked salmon, and frozen fruits and veg.

Despite this, when I do have something packaged, I don't perceive bitterness or a chemical aftertaste at all. At least not with the foods I choose. (I like a lot of greens some people call bitter, so maybe I just wouldn't notice.)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    All I was saying after the same person repeats the same n=1 for 100 times and getting the same results it would normally have meaning to that one person. Do you agree?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    In studying the placebo effect I ran into quantum mechanics so it seems we may not physically exist as I was taught many years ago. So certainty of everything just flew out the window that I was certain about a year ago. :)

I am now certain there is no certainty about the meaning of words.

Perhaps the placebo effect is from beyond our normal senses. I do agree with you that we can come to think our thoughts are reality when they may have never existed like many memories that we have are actually false memories that came from who knows where.

I can only assume you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not claiming that people's belief makes things happen to them. I'm simply saying that people believe things that aren't true...no need to invoke any metaphysics for that one.