Squats and knees?

Options
Everytime I squat to full depth, my left knee makes a snapping sound. It doesn't hurt per say but it feels like a twanging sensation to the side of my kneecap. Squats are great for developing muscles but I don't want to risk injuring myself. Has anyone else experienced that sensation or know what it is?

It only twangs when I squat to 90 degrees, if I hover just above then it's fine. Is it worth squatting if you don't go to full depth?

Replies

• Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a tight tendon snapping. Mine does it too but hurts only at a certain angle.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    My physio told me the snapping sound ia tendons moving over bone I think. Usually caused from prior injuries and scarring.
  • Elijah8468
    Elijah8468 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd say just listen to your body. If and when it hurts then stop. You can still get good muscle activation by not going to 90. Slow down and concentrate on the squeeze.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    My physio told me the snapping sound ia tendons moving over bone I think. Usually caused from prior injuries and scarring.
    Your IT band attaches just below your knee and is typically the source of that "popping". The friction over the outside of the knee can lead to inflammation and IT band syndrome, which is like taking your knee straight to hell, so I'd definitely pay attention to how it feels and any progressive sensitivity or discomfort. It could be because of tightness or weakness in the muscles attached to the IT band, so you might want to look into strengthening and/or stretching those muscles and see if it gets better. It would be much better for you to address it now than when it actually becomes a problem... I'm just returning to running after a layoff due to trying to run through the same problem