Advice on how to fit exercise into a crazy schedule?

Options
Hi everyone,

Next week I start 2 science classes at community college on top of my full time job. I'm just wondering if any of you have tips on how to fit at least 5 days a week 1 hour a day workouts into truly crazy schedules, especially I am very low on energy due to depression so when I come home all I can think of is sleeping. Here is how my schedule looks:

5am wake up
5-6am Get ready for the day
6-7am Drive to work
7-4pm Work-- There are no safe places to walk during lunch, it is very industrial around the area.
4-5pm Drive to school
5-10pm Class

Of course I can fit a routine Friday afternoon and Saturday and Sunday. I would appreciate any advice on how to fit in a routine into at least 2, preferably 3 of those other packed days. Thanks!

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Definitely Sat/Sun are YOUR DAYS. I also know of people who do exercising WHEREVER they can, like in the bathroom, next to their desk, etc. The schedule you have will change, it won't always be this way. Do the best you can.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Does it take you a full hour to drive to work and then to class? If not, you could try fitting in 30 minute walks at home and at school before class.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    do you get a lunch break? I know you said there are no safe places to walk at lunch, but you can do a lot in your office or in a parking lot or in a stairwell...
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yep... takes me the full hour :| Crazy LA traffic!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you'll find time to stream line- cut down on things you don't need.

I work 3.5 jobs...do all my own cooking- work out, go to dance class, dance on my own and balance and out of town relationship and **almost** have a social life.

it's possible- it just takes time and commitment. you will find a way if it's truly what you want to do.

or you could be like my useless lazy *kitten* piece of chit roommate- who uses school and work as an excuse to do absolutely NOTHING.

literally.

he does nothing. it's infuriating.

(edit- not saying YOU do that- just saying- you will either use it as an excuse- or you will find a way around it- that's more to do with what type of person you are rather than how busy you actually are)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Wake up at 4amish and do about 30 mins of exercise.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Wake up at 4amish and do about 30 mins of exercise.
    Will work only if she can go to bed early enough. I know this, 'cause I get up at 4AM happily *IF* I've gone to bed early enough.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'd say plan the majority on your off days.

On the on days, work in bits - park farther from the door, take stairs, do squats in your office (if you can do that discreetly - or wherever), plan 5 minutes of yoga in the mornings (salute to sun is quick and won't get you sweaty), do stretches at your desk - I'm sure there's more ideas

anyone?
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    5 minutes here and there during your day will also work. No it it not cardio but 10 min walk would work and be beneficial if you don't have large blocks of time. I stand in my hallway waiting for my students to arrive and I do stretching or jogging in place, etc. If there's a will there is a way.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    5 hour class 5 nights a week? that seems odd
  • celadontea
    Options
    "that seems odd"

I didn't ask how to fit exercise into a normal schedule now did I? :P
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Also what type of exercise are you considering? Compound lifts (weight training) and HIIT (interval cardio training) are super efficient at building muscle and boosting your metabolism and burning cals.
  • celadontea
    Options
    Also what type of exercise are you considering? Compound lifts (weight training) and HIIT (interval cardio training) are super efficient at building muscle and boosting your metabolism and burning cals.

I think I should have worded it differently, but I meant types & ways to fit it into my schedule. Thanks for these ideas.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    my biggest tips would be park as far away from the front door as possible and take the stairs
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    do you like running? i am a broke college student. the reason i love running is that no gym mebership is required. all i do is pop on my running shoes & hit the pavement. maybe you can fit some quick runs in at night, after you get home from school.

the other idea is to use a stationary bike or treadmill while you are reading/studying (if you don't have one then you can buy a stationary bike or manual treadmills for under $200)
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    "Just do it" -Nike ;)

Seriously though any little bit of exercise you can squeeze in to your day. Taking the stairs instead of an elevator. On your lunch break walk for 15 minutes and do intervals of jumping jacks and pushups for 5 minutes 6 times a day.

Edited to say more: Walk inside your work building if you can't walk outside (invest in a pedometer) or invest in pepper spray ($5) You can do the jumping jacks and pushups inside.
  • Scienceteacher42
    Scienceteacher42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it is interesting that you are taking two evening science classes from 5 - 10 and that it is four nights a week. I am teaching two evening science classes from 5:20 - 10 and each class meets once a week.

My plan is to ride my bike to work when the weather permits, but not on class nights. Obviously that is not an option for you either. So you haven't said what type of work you do, but if it is an office job, could you take a "bathroom" break maybe every two hours and go up and down the stairs for 5 minutes. There are also exercises you can do while sitting in an office chair, if that is what you do.

And of course you will have to focus on Friday, Saturday and Sunday since those are your days off from class.
  • MinMin97
    Options

I think I should have worded it differently, but I meant types & ways to fit it into my schedule. Thanks for these ideas.
    Okay:) HIIT takes only 20min total (including a 2 min warm-up, 2 min cool down), and you could fit in 2-3 compound lifts in 20min as well.
  • celadontea
    Options
    Edited to say more: Walk inside your work building if you can't walk outside (invest in a pedometer) or invest in pepper spray ($5)

LOL