Has anyone lost weight only using one type of cardio machine? (Elliptical, stairclimber etc)

Options
I lost a lot of weight going to the gym and I would rotate between the elliptical, stairclimber, treadmill and bike but I just bought an elliptical for home because I have a busy schedule and I want to lose 20 more pounds but have heard I won’t lose it doing the same machine everyday... shouldn’t it be okay as long as I’m pushing myself and not just on auto pilot?
Has anyone successfully lost weight only using one type of cardio?

Replies

• laynieparvin4830
    Options
    Yes. I have lost weight doing only the elliptical. I also have an elliptical for home use and use it every day. Technically any type of cardio is going to help you lose weight and be healthy. It doesn’t really matter if you do the elliptical over and over again. As long as you are combining that with a good diet, you will eventual lose weight and be healthy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What you “have heard” is wrong and completely unfounded. Do the exercise you enjoy and have available.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Weight loss will come from a calorie deficit. It doesn't matter what type of exercise you do or if you even do any at all as long as you're eating the right amount for your goals.

Focus on your intake for loss and exercise for fitness.

Cardio is great for cardiovascular health. Resistance training is great for retaining muscle, strengthening your bones, and body composition.

Keep in mind that the number given to lose weight on MFP already has your deficit built in but does not include exercise. So, you should be adding those calories in to eat.

And, doing one type of cardio will not keep you from burning calories. People become more efficient at the activities they continuously do but that does not mean you aren't getting benefits from them.

The reason for pointing this out is that many people find that with increased activity comes increased appetite and if you're not aware of your intake then it's very easy to undo your deficit. Especially on those last pounds when your deficit is already smaller.

ETA: congrats on your weightloss thus far!
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    As far as cardio, I only use the treadmill (personal preference) for both HIIT and LISS. However, I also lift heavy 3x per week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight going to the gym and I would rotate between the elliptical, stairclimber, treadmill and bike but I just bought an elliptical for home because I have a busy schedule and I want to lose 20 more pounds but have heard I won’t lose it doing the same machine everyday... shouldn’t it be okay as long as I’m pushing myself and not just on auto pilot?
    Has anyone successfully lost weight only using one type of cardio?

How could the bolded possibly be true?
    Using the elliptical requires energy (calories), where is that energy coming from if not from you?
    (That would be like a car not using any fuel just because you use it daily.)

The pushing yourself part is a myth too, whatever intensity you exercise at burns calories. Even when just ticking over your car still uses fuel. Pushing the limits of your capability is to improve your fitness level.

My cardio of choice is cycling, Garmin tells me I've burned 172,007 calories this year despite being a cyclist for over 50 years. But a crucial point is that I haven't lost weight as I'm eating to maintain my weight.