Can't lose weight after ED recovery?

2»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    It’s tough and recovery looks different for each of us. I want to commend you for making this post and sharing. I know how hard that can be, especially in the early stages of recovery.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    DarkShilen wrote: »
    Hello, I lost a lot of weight in the past year with low/medium restriction, but gained 3-4 pounds when I tried to maintain and recover. Now I want them gone, but that can't seem to happen without being below 1000 cal and I don't want to fall into old habits. Thinking of dieting is enough. For past 2 months I've been eating between 1000-1400 cal/day with lots of walking (~10 km) 3-4 times a week, and SOMEHOW I'm maintaining. And that's way less than my TDEE. Since my history of ED - I know damn well about calories and how much I'm consuming so no - it's not more than I think it is.
    I do not believe in "starvation mode" and "damaged metabolism" but what could it be?

Stats: 25f/62kg/170cm

Hello - recovering ED here. Part of my recovery was setting a healthy range for my weight. I had my physician help determine my range. Part of recovery is learning to accept normal weight fluctuations, this is why a goal range works better for many over a goal weight.

You mentioned eating a very low calorie range for most people which looks like restricting and lots of walking. I know for me I have to be aware not to restrict or use exercise as a form of purging calories. I don’t want to project my own stuff here but your language in the OP raises some read flags.

EDA is a recovery community that offers online meetings if there is nothing local for you. Please also feel free to add me and message anytime.

Yes. It's called Exercise Bulimia, and is surprisingly common. A lot of people who aren't 'classic' bulimics can inadvertently fall down this rabbit's hole.

Great post! :)

Thanks! I’m in recovery for bulimia and found that I definitely fell into this pattern when I first started recovery. It really was just another form of purging. I’m grateful to those who came before me and recognized it who held me accountable in a loving way to help change my behaviors.