How often should i eat above my deficit?

Options
I've been on a diet for about a little over a month now and have lost 18 pounds,thing is I would like to keep loosing and not plateau.Should i up my calories once a week?or should I wait a little longer to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories will not break a plateau. Likely what is happening is you're slowing down since you're closer to your goal (it's always hard to drop those last few pounds), or you are eating more than you think. Do you weigh your food with a food scale?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you haven't plateued yet and still losing weight. Continue. More leaner you get the slower you will lose weight. Once you stop losing weight, then re-checking your food on a scale, adding cardio. You should break through if not your diet needs adjusting.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Also weight loss is not linear.

You will have weeks where you do not lose or even gain a bit. That is ok and to be expected - do nothing unless you do not lose over a period of time, say, a month.

And 18 lb per month is not sustainable - it may happen first month if you have a lot to lose but expect it to slow to, on average, a lb or two per week

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

18lbs in just over a month is a lot
  • ricolamar1027
    ricolamar1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories will not break a plateau. Likely what is happening is you're slowing down since you're closer to your goal (it's always hard to drop those last few pounds), or you are eating more than you think. Do you weigh your food with a food scale?

Yeah I weigh my proteins usually and I count all my calories throughout the day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

Curious this a well.

OP, this thread may be of interest and give you some insight on doing refeeds/diet breaks during weight loss.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do you work out or weight lift as well? If not, this may help your loss. You may gain muscle mass and look heavier on the scale but will be overall thinner.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,197 Member
    Options
    18 lbs in a month is a lot but setting that aside ... when I was on a mission to lose weight I never upped my calories.
  • ricolamar1027
    ricolamar1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    What are your stats?

Curious this a well.

OP, this thread may be of interest and give you some insight on doing refeeds/diet breaks during weight loss.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I was 230 a month ago and now I'm 212 but obviously about 10 pounds of that was easily water weight but. Loosing 2 pounds a week