Overnight oats

Options
Hi everyone! I has bought a few packs of these .. aren’t they super high in carbs and calories in general ?

Replies

• Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    enter the brand and weight into the database and that should tell you the nutritional information (assuming you don't have the packet they came in to tell you)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Yes; oats are a seed of grain, so they will be more calorically dense as they are meant to support the development of a plant.

If you don't need to track carbs for a medical reason or for a specific lifestyle (ex: keto), there's not much need to worry about carbs. Make your overnight oats and enjoy!
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad for you especially things like oats which have a slow release energy release. Making you feel fuller longer and having a steady supply of energy. The only thing that makes you gain weight is eating too much.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Oats are a carb but why is that a problem in the context of your diet?

I wouldn't say they are "super high" in calories, what else has been added to the oats?
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Unless you're trying to eat them dry, I disagree. Oats made up with water or skimmed milk creates a gel that is quite filling considering the calories.
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don’t really count carbs but try to stay within the macros mfp outlines..
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Do you not have the packet so also the info right there?
    You don't need to buy the packets anyway, put some regular oats and a half a cup of milk in a jar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what brand? And what style?

fwiw, you don't need "special" oats for overnight oats. You can save your money and just buy a big container of oats. There are recipes all over the web, and entire websites dedicated to preparing them.

Steel cut will be the "best" from fiber and hardiness stand points (they tend to keep you full longer), but some folks don't like how those taste. Regular rolled oats are pretty "good" as well. Instant packets are the least nutritious and most likely to have extra sugar added.

What fits your macros and your daily diet is up to you.
    I stick to steel cut, and add things like cheese, scallions, spinach and an egg.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to puzzle out the difference between overnight oats and regular oats. Soak your regular oats in milk....overnight.

I’d eat the oats with Greek yogurt to add more protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I’m trying to puzzle out the difference between overnight oats and regular oats. Soak your regular oats in milk....overnight.

I’d eat the oats with Greek yogurt to add more protein.

Same difference as the single serving packages of hot oats - some spices and sweetener, and single-serving "convenience". ;)

Speaking of single servings - @Jadu786 - check your container to make sure the calories given are for one serving. The total calories could be high if it is actually meant to be two servings.

When I made overnight oats I used 1/3 cup (27 grams) of rolled oats which is 102 calories. The entry is "Cereals, oats, regular and quick, not fortified, dry". I also added Greek yogurt for the protein and some frozen berries like blueberries or raspberries, and chia seeds as I find these filling.

This didn't have enough protein for me for breakfast so I moved it to a bed time snack.