One year before big 50...gotta do it!

Wtf has happened to me! I am fully aware now that I will be 50 years old in a little over one year. Ugh! This can't be happening! Where has the time gone? The last decade of my life has seen more aches and pains and I know it's only going to get worse. I am seeing that I cannot enjoy playing with my grandson as my body just can't handle it. It's ridiculous that I have not done something sooner. No more procrastinating, dammit! Get real, girl! Would love pointers on starting out. Looking to lose around 60 pounds before that "special" day. Friends to work with would be great too!

Replies

• crdraper
    crdraper Posts: 3 Member
    Wow, that's exactly where I'm at. I have a little over a year until I turn 50. I want to stay healthy so I can continue to care for my children. My 50th is 3rd Jan 2020. All the best with your journey. We can do it.
  • Mine is January 4th!! Good luck to you!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,738 Member
    Wtf has happened to me! I am fully aware now that I will be 50 years old in a little over one year. Ugh! This can't be happening! Where has the time gone? The last decade of my life has seen more aches and pains and I know it's only going to get worse. I am seeing that I cannot enjoy playing with my grandson as my body just can't handle it. It's ridiculous that I have not done something sooner. No more procrastinating, dammit! Get real, girl! Would love pointers on starting out. Looking to lose around 60 pounds before that "special" day. Friends to work with would be great too!

It's not going to get worse, not for a long while . . . depending on your choices. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but age is not a guarantee of illness, weakness, disability, or anything of that nature. There are no guarantees against those things, either, of course. But you can shift the odds by reaching a healthy weight, and working to be stronger and fitter. Those are choices.

I know 50- and 60-somethings who are severely mobility-limited, largely through choices they've made. I know 70-somethings and even 80-somethings who are strong and thriving (even athletic), also influenced by choices they've made.

You've come to the right place to make the right choices, and learn how to make those choices bear excellent fruit.

Pointers on starting out: Read the "Most Helpful Posts" section (colloquially called "the stickies") in the "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness, & Diet" topics to start, and look at ones in other sections later. They were written by actual successful people here, and nominated by other MFP users, to be kept around long term for reference. There's gold in there. To the extent it differs from what you read in the tabloids, on Instagram/Facebook, or hear from random people in your life . . . believe the stickies. Voice of experience.

You can achieve your goals; you just have to mean it. Be brave.

Signed,

Age 63, became a competitive rower in mid/late 40s after decades of inactive life, lost weight from obese to healthy weight at 59-60, maintained healthy weight for 3 years now.

P.S. I think it's really touching when you 50 y/o kids think you're getting old. ;) You're just heading into a new phase, and it can be a good 'un. :flowerforyou: