Garmin fenix 5x Or Garmin Forerunner 935

Options
I have both of these, but have been torn between which one I like better.

The F5x has full maps which is handy for certain situations and has the sapphire glass.

The FR 935 is only half the weight, is much more comfortable to wear, and the battery last quite a bit longer between charges than the F5x. Also the GPS tracks seem to be noticeably better on the FR935, and more consistent.

Anyone else own either of these devices?

And what are your thoughts?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I was on the fence on which one I wanted to replace my 630. My preference was always the 5x but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the extra money. I am glad I did. The turn by turn is exactly what I wanted. Having reliable way to navigate unfamiliar terrain (both on and off road) is extremely useful.

One aspect I didn't expect was the fact that I can actually see this screen. It is big enough to be useful.

Of course only you can decide which one is best for you. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I love the maps.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I took the 935 to Tyler park today to compare the GPS track with GPS tracks that I already recorded with the 5x on the same rout. This park is a little challenging for GPS tracks, and I have not used the 935 there yet, but have used the 5x there many times.

The 935 tracks look slightly better than the 5x tracks that I looked at in my GC, but not by much, and there are even some spots where the 5x looked a little better.

I do like the 5x better, and the maps do come in handy. Plus it looks more rugged and manly. RAAA! :)

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Does the weight difference matter to people? 2x the weight sounds huge, but the difference is about the weight of a mouse. I don't personally notice the watch on my wrist, but that might just be that I'm habituated to it.

Swix charges $200 more for ski poles who's only functional difference is about 15 grams for the pair. Garmin charges less for the 935. I'm not trying to make a case that it's not worth it at all. I'm wondering if other people are annoyed at the extra weight or can feel it at all.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Does the weight difference matter to people? 2x the weight sounds huge, but the difference is about the weight of a mouse. I don't personally notice the watch on my wrist, but that might just be that I'm habituated to it.

Swix charges $200 more for ski poles who's only functional difference is about 15 grams for the pair. Garmin charges less for the 935. I'm not trying to make a case that it's not worth it at all. I'm wondering if other people are annoyed at the extra weight or can feel it at all.

From what I can tell, having read a number of comments on DCR over the years, the weight is noticeable to some people. I suspect it's kind of like writing with a heavier pen than you're used to - for some people it will be fine, but for others they'll end up with hand fatigue.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

I tried a 5X on at an expo before I purchased it. At that time I thought it was HUGE and very heavy. A few months later I bought it anyway. Now that I have it I really don't notice it. I only take it off to charge it and shower. The weight seemed like a big deal but now I realize it is not (for me - YMMV).