Instapot - flash fad or worth it

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Greatest gadget ever, run, don’t walk. Makes the worlds best oatmeal, beans, rice, steamed veg, pot roast, and more
  • CrunchyG
    CrunchyG Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I got one for christmas. I’ve used it twice already-once for hard boiled eggs, and the other for brown basmati rice. Both turned out perfectly! The eggs peeled easily. I can’t wait to make more stuff in it.
  • nikkissweets2018
    nikkissweets2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call them a fad. Pressure cookers have been around for a very long time. I love mine. I use it at least twice a week. I can cook dried beans in 20 minutes without soaking. It cooks meats, veggies, rice, and it can be used as a slow cooker.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love my Instapot. They're having a moment right now, but pressure cooking isn't a new thing.

The recipes are as healthy or unhealthy as you want them to be. You find find all kinds of cookbooks for the Instapot, it just depends on your taste. Pinterest has lots of recipes too and it didn't take me long to begin creating my own recipes.

I eat a lot of beans and it's amazing for that. You don't even have to soak them. I had black-eyed peas last night and I cooked them from dry in less than half an hour.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love my Instapot. They're having a moment right now, but pressure cooking isn't a new thing.

The recipes are as healthy or unhealthy as you want them to be. You find find all kinds of cookbooks for the Instapot, it just depends on your taste. Pinterest has lots of recipes too and it didn't take me long to begin creating my own recipes.

I eat a lot of beans and it's amazing for that. You don't even have to soak them. I had black-eyed peas last night and I cooked them from dry in less than half an hour.

I had a stove top pressure cooker for years and never used it because I thought I was going to blow the house up. Instapot makes it really easy since everything is automated

This is why I never pressure cooked before either. Too many scary stories!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What are we defining as flash fad? Been going on more than three years that I can tell and still sell out each year during the holidays.
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    AnnabellaxRinger Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I got one as a gift and didn't think that I would get any use out of it, but it is my absolute favorite thing. You can make a whole meal in one pot, in about a half an hour! Frozen chicken breasts (for those days you forget to pull something to thaw) to fall apart deliciousness in about 12 minutes cook time! Would definitely recommend it!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    What are we defining as flash fad? Been going on more than three years that I can tell and still sell out each year during the holidays.

I think some of the recipes are flash fads. There is no reason that EVERYTHING must be cooked in the Instant Pot. If it doesn't save any time or steps, or doesn't retain the original's texture or taste, why bother? For example I saw a recipe for creme brulee in the Instant Pot that mixes everything in a separate bowl, then pours into ramekins, then stacks those in the instant pot. Then you still need the torch at the end. Not sure how any of this saved time or dishes.

Beans, eggs, chicken breasts, stews, yogurt? Yes, sure. But like any device, it has its limits.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to make easy-peel hard boiled eggs without having to shell out :lol: for an Insta Pot, check out the Hot Start method: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Works for eggs fresh from the neighborhood chickens.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

I think some of the recipes are flash fads. There is no reason that EVERYTHING must be cooked in the Instant Pot. If it doesn't save any time or steps, or doesn't retain the original's texture or taste, why bother? For example I saw a recipe for creme brulee in the Instant Pot that mixes everything in a separate bowl, then pours into ramekins, then stacks those in the instant pot. Then you still need the torch at the end. Not sure how any of this saved time or dishes.

Beans, eggs, chicken breasts, stews, yogurt? Yes, sure. But like any device, it has its limits.

Truth about the proselytizers who'll tell you how to make toast in it and whatever :D

I have two, I bought the LUX in 2015 and realised I wanted the yoghurt feature so got a mini DUO last year. I have definitely had them both going at the same time! I love the IP for making developed soups and stews that I didn't decide to make until the afternoon or evening.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for over a year and still use it at least once a week...and more often 2-3 times a week. I don't see it as a fad.