How to find the right foods for you?

I'm struggling massively recently, I am trying to look into meal prep so I can start to eat more food I prepare myself rather than ready meals. However, I feel like what I eat is super super limited and it is rather frustrating.

I am a vegetarian and struggling with dumping syndrome which means I need to basically have a high protein, moderate fat, low simple carb diet and also avoid sugar, too much diary, liquid meal like smoothies/soup. I struggle as it is to get foods high in protein as I would compare my diet to one of child, I basically live off of carbs.

What's the best way to slowly expand my diet to include more veggies and add more protein?

Thanks

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Check out platejoy.com
    I've been using for a year now and credit it with my ability be both satiated and stay within my diet constraints
    They take a deep profile that includes a veg option, allergies, time available to cook, prep equipment, and much more then offer several suggestions each week. The variety is fantastic and flavor combinations keeps me out of restaurants. I pick from their suggestions for the week then get shopping list and recipes. We went about 6 months without repeating recipes.
  • kellie5218
    kellie5218 Posts: 11 Member
    hroderick wrote: »
    Check out platejoy.com
    I've been using for a year now and credit it with my ability be both satiated and stay within my diet constraints
    They take a deep profile that includes a veg option, allergies, time available to cook, prep equipment, and much more then offer several suggestions each week. The variety is fantastic and flavor combinations keeps me out of restaurants. I pick from their suggestions for the week then get shopping list and recipes. We went about 6 months without repeating recipes.

This sounds great! I'll check it out. Thank you.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Vegetarian chili tops my list. Adding things like chick peas in addition to pinto, navy and kidney beans is a great way to add vegetarian protein.

And of course nuts and seeds are great snack foods. My favorite are pumpkin seeds (shelled). They are remarkably high in protein and taste great roasted with olive oil and salt.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If these dietary restrictions are due to your medical conditions, then I would recommend seeing a registered dietitian who can advise you based on your specific needs. It sounds like you need someone who is trained on your medical conditions.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Given you have dumping syndrome, I would second the idea of seeing a registered dietitian to try to figure out what foods will work best for you, physiologically. Once that's been outlined, then I would try incorporating things that you typically don't eat to see if you like them and how you like them (ie raw, roasted, sauteed, seasoned various ways, etc).