How to factor in first week's loss

Options
Hey guys. So, I know it's common to lose a lot of water weight your very first week of being in a calorie deficit. It's been 6 days and I've lost 5 pounds so far. :) What a little boost of confidence, haha.

My question is, however, how do you factor in the first week's loss when determining if your calorie goal/deficit is accurate? I'm supposed to be losing 2lbs a week (1000 per day deficit), so obviously the first five pounds skews that goal. I assume I just ignore the first week in my calculations, but in that case, when can I expect initial water weight loss to stop and "real" loss to start? Second week? Third week? There's probably not an answer, I know.

It's not a huge deal. I'm just curious because I'll admit... losing on 1900 net calories a day sounds too good to be true. Yet, I'm really loving this new way of "dieting." When I lost 150 pounds before, I weighed 300 and ate 1200 or less without a care in the world as to what my energy needs were. I'd like to keep track of my weight loss in a way to make sure my deficit is not too large and learning how to factor in that initial water weight loss will help.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    How about if your second week is in line with your third and fourth, keep it, if not, toss it?

I didn't have an initial water weight loss at all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did you put your stats into MFP? It will give you a reasonably accurate goal. How are you determining your intake?
    You generally need 4-6 weeks to establish a trend.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Did you put your stats into MFP? It will give you a reasonably accurate goal. How are you determining your intake?
    You generally need 4-6 weeks to establish a trend.

Yes, I'm using MFP's calculations and keeping track of calories. Using a food scale too when possible. Thanks for the info!

• emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How about if your second week is in line with your third and fourth, keep it, if not, toss it?

I didn't have an initial water weight loss at all.

Good idea. Thank you! Also surprised to learn not everyone has that initial drop in weight!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A week really isn't enough time to make that determination. You need to give it at least another 2-4 weeks.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a little more time. I know for me, I try to look at a six-week trend, since that's about how long it takes for stuff to come off after increasing exercise, and any carb repletion/depletion stuff.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the rest - give it a few weeks to see where it settles out. My average has been 1.8 lbs a week (with one week going up, then going back down, and then dropping -so 3 weeks of not going too far - 1-2 pound flux). After a month you can look at your trends, what you are eating, how you are balancing out carbs, protein, fat, sugars etc with your goals. I've been tracking for around 50 days, have lost 13 lbs (just waiting for that 14lb tip), very diligently, and now that my body is used to my calorie intake, I'm just now starting to do swimming for exercise. It's very possible if you cut your calories in 1/3 of what you normally do - then hit the gym hard, that you did lose 5lbs.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs my first 2 weeks, but I am exercising hard in the gym doing strength training and cardio. It might be just water weight but I sure do enjoy getting it in working out. One thing I did realize is many junk food snacks range from 200-500 calories. After doing cardio for 30 to 60 minutes and all we loose is 400-600 calories, I think three times before I eat any of those junk food snacks.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    +1 for waiting through a complete cycle if you are menstruating.