Near Death Experience Reflections

Options
doubleap77
doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
So there I was driving down the road with my kids in the back seat, getting ready to descend the “roller coaster” hill a couple of miles from home. It had rained almost all day and the wind had picked up this evening. Just as we crested the hill I saw a flash if light and a four-foot diameter tree fell into the road in front of us. I used a choice four-letter word as I slammed on the brakes but slid into the damnable tree regardless.

Everyone ended up fine by some miracle, and I was inspired by the wealth of humanity and community that came to my family’s aid. Not just first responders, but also those passersby who were willing to open their home to us while we gathered ourselves.

So, while I often get caught in the minutiae of everyday life, chasing numbers or fleeting emotions, I reflect now on the fragility of life and what is important. Certainly I love my family and I love doing what I do, but maybe I need to think a little more broadly, act more selflessly, and take time to appreciate the time I have here on earth.

Happy New Year!

Replies

• Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Something like that will surely make you think! So glad you are alright to share what makes some solid sense! Big hugs and here's to a new year filled with appreciation and good luck!❤🤗
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I have an appropriate near death experience to relate, but I wouldn't mind seeing this grow into a big sharing of such events and reflections on people's subsequent lives.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I’m so glad you are okay, and that you shared. I for one needed the reminder. ❤️
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    doubleap77 wrote: »
    So there I was driving down the road with my kids in the back seat, getting ready to descend the “roller coaster” hill a couple of miles from home. It had rained almost all day and the wind had picked up this evening. Just as we crested the hill I saw a flash if light and a four-foot diameter tree fell into the road in front of us. I used a choice four-letter word as I slammed on the brakes but slid into the damnable tree regardless.

Everyone ended up fine by some miracle, and I was inspired by the wealth of humanity and community that came to my family’s aid. Not just first responders, but also those passersby who were willing to open their home to us while we gathered ourselves.

So, while I often get caught in the minutiae of everyday life, chasing numbers or fleeting emotions, I reflect now on the fragility of life and what is important. Certainly I love my family and I love doing what I do, but maybe I need to think a little more broadly, act more selflessly, and take time to appreciate the time I have here on earth.

Happy New Year!

.... so, don't leave us hanging; how's the car?
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've had a NDE but I worked for many years as a caregiver. My clients were mostly seniors at various stages towards the end of their life. I was with this client for two and half years.

His last three weeks were spent in bed motionless and speechless. No food or water. About two weeks into his dying process one morning around 2am I was sitting in his room reading. Out of the corner of my eye I see him raise his hand in the air and point at the ceiling. His eyes were open just looking at the "something". In a raspy but comforted sounding voice he said "It's so beautiful". He laid there a moment just looking with his hand still in the air. He put his hand down, closed his eyes and went back to sleep. I will never forget that experience.

Four days go by and the Executor of his estate tells me to take a day off as I was there 24/7 for months. I didn't want to as I knew he was so close to dying and I didn't want to miss saying goodbye. She made me take a day off. I go home. Went back in at 7am and he passed at 7:15am.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents passed away from Alzheimer's Disease. We had wonderful hospice workers with them until the end, and many of them said the dying person often waits for the right moment to pass on - they might be waiting for someone to come see them, etc.

I'm the youngest of four daughters, and my dad was always overprotective of me as the youngest. He was in the dying process basically the whole month of December about ten years ago. My sisters and I were trying to keep at least one family member with him as much as possible. Over Christmas, my sisters had their grown children in from out of town, so on December 26, I volunteered to sit with Dad most of the day. Later in the day, my sisters all came in, so I decided to go home. About 45 minutes after I left, my dad passed away. I always wonder if he waited for me to leave before letting go...