Weird Pain in Heel

Options
Ever since I started running I began feeling this weird pain in my heel. Not when I’m actually running, usually the next morning when I’m just walking around - typically when I’m going down stairs. It kind of feels like maybe a pulled muscle in just my heel? It’s not long lasting, just a few minutes or so and it’s not every day either. Anyone else experience? Or have any tips to avoid it continuing happening?

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be plantar fasciitis.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be plantar fasciitis.

I thought that but the pain is never on the bottom of my foot, it’s on the back of the heel and none of the stuff I read about plantar fasciitis mentioned that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is it a sharp pain at the back by the bone? If so, it could be Achilles tendinitis. In my experience, it likes to flare up when walking on declines. My PT was a lot of stretching, calf raises, and balance work. Here's a bit you can do at home:

Daily
    - Sit on floor with legs straight out in front of you. Take a towel or strap around one foot and pull it toward you so that you feel the stretch. Hold for 30 seconds. Do 3 sets on each foot.
    - Sit in a chair or lie on the floor with leg up in the air. Write the alphabet with your toes. You can use cursive or printing, uppercase or lowercase, doesn't matter ( :wink: ). Do it once with each foot.

2-3x/week:
    - I use one of these things. I stand on one leg (holding on to a chair) and flex foot forward and backward 20 times, side to side 20 times, counterclockwise 20 times, and clockwise 20 times.
    - Standing calf raises on one foot and then the other. Work up to 20 using bodyweight only. Stand on a step or platform for these.

Hope that helps!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you start running (new) it happens too since you not use to it. Have rest, ease into the running. Also wear suitable running shoes. A foot massage may help. Ibrofun medicine may help.
  • Running2Fit
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is it a sharp pain at the back by the bone? If so, it could be Achilles tendinitis. In my experience, it likes to flare up when walking on declines. My PT was a lot of stretching, calf raises, and balance work. Here's a bit you can do at home:

Daily
    - Sit on floor with legs straight out in front of you. Take a towel or strap around one foot and pull it toward you so that you feel the stretch. Hold for 30 seconds. Do 3 sets on each foot.
    - Sit in a chair or lie on the floor with leg up in the air. Write the alphabet with your toes. You can use cursive or printing, uppercase or lowercase, doesn't matter ( :wink: ). Do it once with each foot.

2-3x/week:
    - I use one of these things. I stand on one leg (holding on to a chair) and flex foot forward and backward 20 times, side to side 20 times, counterclockwise 20 times, and clockwise 20 times.
    - Standing calf raises on one foot and then the other. Work up to 20 using bodyweight only. Stand on a step or platform for these.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much! That sounds like exactly what I’ve been experiencing. I will try out those stretches
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes. A lot of people rave about Skechers, but after months of trying to find my heel pain I figured out it was my shoes. Changed brands and no more problems.
  • Running2Fit
    Options
    sbelletti wrote: »
    Could be your shoes. A lot of people rave about Skechers, but after months of trying to find my heel pain I figured out it was my shoes. Changed brands and no more problems.

I have good quality running shoes and had my feet analyzed at the local running store to make sure I got ones right for my feet. Definitely not using Sketchers.

I have been doing my at-home workouts (non-running) in just my socks though. Maybe a mistake. I'm going to try wearing shoes from now own.