Fruits and Vegetables

Options
How many do you eat of each? I don't really eat junk food, but I don't exactly eat healthy either. What do you follow, any tips, and or advice will be very helpful. Thanks

Replies

• JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    DO you mean how many a day? Or like, how many different types?
  • escape31
    escape31 Posts: 28
    Options
    A day
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have some kind of fruit every other day in average, and usually a cup of veggies in the evening, sometimes more fruit or veggies during the day... We just buy frozen veggies and nuke them in the microwave. For fruit Summer is easy, Winter not as much because I'm not overly fond of apples! Or I buy frozen fruit and make smoothies...

I don't have the 5 recommended servings most days, to be honest. I don't mind veggies and I eat them, but I typically go for protein when I want a snack.
  • JskC1893
    Options
    I probably don't eat nearly enough, but I try to make it anywhere from 25-50% (or more i suppose) of each meal. So if I'm having eggs, I try to shove a ton of vegetables in there.

I don't hate veggies, but I don't crave them generally either (unless they are butter coated, which I wont eat but would love too).

I try to put as many on my fork as I can with my protein and eat it like that. Fruits, I eat probably 1 or 2 fruits a day, usually a large banana or 2, or a large green apple (1/2 as a serving).

Hope this helps!!

I also try to have a large salad everyday (when I have the ingredients), I just load up the plate and then put something I actually REALLY enjoy on top of it (some diced steak, or really good chicken).

Hope this helps!!

Just try to make it a large portion of your plate :)

If you have a hard time, maybe look into smoothies using veggies, that can be an easy way to get a ton in at one time.

:smile:
  • escape31
    Options
    Haha I never care for apples either.
  • terilea2
    terilea2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello! I try to incorporate veggies in my main three meals of the day. You should be eating around 2 - 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day. For more specific information visit the Choose My Plate website at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/printpages/MyPlateFoodGroups/Vegetables/food-groups.vegetables-amount.pdf

Your specific need will depend on age and activity level.
  • JskC1893
    Options
    I have some kind of fruit every other day in average, and usually a cup of veggies in the evening, sometimes more fruit or veggies during the day... We just buy frozen veggies and nuke them in the microwave. For fruit Summer is easy, Winter not as much because I'm not overly fond of apples! Or I buy frozen fruit and make smoothies...

I don't have the 5 recommended servings most days, to be honest. I don't mind veggies and I eat them, but I typically go for protein when I want a snack.

Same with me, frozen veggies are a huge saver in our house. Affordable, and makes it easy to add veggies to every meal (i prefer fresh, but frozen is sometimes the way to go!!)
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Haha I never care for apples either.

Me too, only recently have I discovered I like them only with peanut butter. And I peel them, which totally declines there nutritional value ... :(
  • escape31
    Options
    Thanks JskC1893, I love salad too but the dressing makes me feel so guilty even if I make the dressing myself.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not a lot. I find fruits and veggies get in the way of my eating yummy stuff while still hitting my protein and calorie goals for the day.

Occasionally I'll have some frozen corn or mixed vegetables with some kind of animal protein for dinner — maybe once a week or every two weeks or so...
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    one of the best things I did for myself was to focus on what i SHOULD eat, not what I shouldn't .

You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better... whereever you are, pick 3 new things until they become habit then add one or two until they become habit and keep going with small sustainable changes.

EVERYDAY:
    a green salad,
    a green veg,
    some other type of veg, (Yellow: carrots, sweet potatoes, White: eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, Red: beets... etc.)
    some berries,
    a piece of fruit,
    a small handful of nuts and

TWICE A WEEK:
    A legume based meal
    A fish based meal (I know not a veg)

ONCE A WEEK:
    A mushroom based meal.

All nutrient dense options, which will reduce cravings...

GOOD LUCK
  • escape31
    Options
    My parents are vegan, but my brother is not. They weren't always vegan, they try to make me one. For the most part I am but if I go out for Indian food I want tandoori chicken but I would be happy with the samosa and stew. Though no more samsosa for me. :(

lol Its funny how I have to give up so many ethnic foods to be healthy. I try to create my own ethnic foods the healthy way like Moroccan quinoa salad. Its hard to get protein, but I do have beans almost every day.
  • escape31
    Options
    Thanks auntiebabs that really helps and next time I want to plan a meal I will use your advice.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    I don't hate veggies, but I don't crave them generally either (unless they are butter coated, which I wont eat but would love too).

Recently found out that most vitamins are fat soluble... So you should add a little fat to your veg so that you can access their nutrition. If you have cholesterol issues you may want to use Olive Oil, rather than butter, but if you don't go for it! YUM
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    one of the best things I did for myself was to focus on what i SHOULD eat, not what I shouldn't .

You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better... whereever you are, pick 3 new things until they become habit then add one or two until they become habit and keep going with small sustainable changes.

EVERYDAY:
    a green salad,
    a green veg,
    some other type of veg, (Yellow: carrots, sweet potatoes, White: eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, Red: beets... etc.)
    some berries,
    a piece of fruit,

TWICE A WEEK:
    A legume based meal

ONCE A WEEK:
    A mushroom based meal.

GOOD LUCK

This is great! Thanks for sharing!
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    ... but I do have beans almost every day.
    That sounds like a good start to me! Good Luck
    Thanks auntiebabs that really helps and next time I want to plan a meal I will use your advice.
    Any time! It's nice to have a starting point, but remember to adjust it to what works for you.
  • auntiebabs
    Options

EVERYDAY:
    a green salad,
    a green veg,
    some berries,
    a piece of fruit,

TWICE A WEEK:
    A legume based meal

ONCE A WEEK:
    A mushroom based meal.

GOOD LUCK

This is great! Thanks for sharing!

I'm glad you like it!
    It's my current goal... once I hit this consistently I'll make some tweaks.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is great advice!! I'm going to print this out. Thanks! Good thread, OP!
  • escape31
    Options
    auntiebabs is now Mrs. Popular!

:D
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    auntiebabs is now Mrs. Popular!

:D
    :blushing: