Options
2»

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Agreed with others...any version which you will use consistently

In terms of being efficient (kcals burnt/time spent): standing cardio (treadmill, elliptical, stairmaster) have served me best for bouts of LISS (minor differences aren't in kcals burnt/time are not really significant; likely due to the equipment setting differences). Elliptical if you've got injuries to work around. Stairmaster seems easiest for elevating HR (if you are into that type of training)

HIIT: seated cardio (bikes - usually a lot easier to change up the intervals easily). Generally not as efficient for LISS

I personally use a combination of ~75% treadmill (low incline usually) & ~25% stairmaster. Most elliptical just feel unnatural/weird/too much bouncing motion for me & the exertion required doesn't feel representative of the kcals calculated burnt.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If the choice is elliptical or treadmill, I'm going treadmill.
  • hnk1113
    hnk1113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LoPotion wrote: »
    Both are great - though I read somewhere a long time ago that ellipticals overestimate calorie burn more than treadmills do. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it scared me enough to commit to the treadmill back then when I was young and dumb.

Are you thinking about getting one for home use, or trying to decide which to use at the gym? If it's the latter, feel free to alternate between them. Switching it up can keep things from feeling too routine, and the elliptical can give your joints a rest from the impact of running.

Home use:)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical because it's easier on my joints, but it's really a matter of personal preference.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Skis. :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    hnk1113 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    hnk1113 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Best for what?
    Best for who?

Just looking for opinions for myself. Thanks.

Are you looking for calorie burn, or training for something? Your goals will make an impact on the answer.

Calorie burn

Then the answer is yes.
    Unless you include stationary bikes or any other form of cardio that you will do for a long duration.