Upping my calories in desperation!

I have been stalled losing weight going on 3 weeks now and so in a desperate attempt change that, for the last 3 days I have upped my calories from 1200 to 1500. (Advice I picked up on the message boards here). So far I haven't gained anything which is what I feared would happen. I could have been eating +300 calories everyday for the last 3 weeks and maintained? I just don't get it! SMH!

Replies

• Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Buffy, you just started, correct? Give us height, weight, goal weight, what kind of exercises do you do and how long, foods you eat, open your diary, etc.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Buffy, you just started, correct? Give us height, weight, goal weight, what kind of exercises do you do and how long, foods you eat, open your diary, etc.
    ^^^THIS ^^^
  • rkkid
    rkkid Posts: 8
    I generally don't see any difference in the scale for a couple of weeks and then suddenly I'm down two pounds over the course of a couple of days. Don't freak out too bad, the scale doesn't always give you the whole picture. Maybe try taking measurements as well?
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    I am:
    Age 52
    Height 5ft 6in
    Joined here in July but have been losing since June
    6-15-13 I weighed 183, today I am at 167
    I thought my diary was open, I will check that again.
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Buffy, lots of people do find that 1200 calories puts their bodies in survival mode, and the body resists any weight loss. So upping your calories just a tad was a good idea. And you could see that it didn't make you gain any weight back. So what about exercise? If you are not doing any, then that might explain the stall and the survival mode. You may need to boost your metabolism with some exercise. If you have not had to exercise up to now, you are lucky... but I'm not sure how much more success you will have without it. If you have not exercised before, start with something easy like walking to boost your metabolism. Every bit of muscle you create will raise it, and that is a very important factor in weight loss. A sedentary woman our age (I'm 55) and weight (i'm 176) burns about 1750 calories a day. A busy, active woman is going to burn lots more, taking up to, say, 2200 cal a day. The more muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism. When the busy woman cuts her calories and exercises, and eats enough to stay out of survival mode, she is going to lose weight. If you need help with an exercise plan, just ask! Lots of great people here with helpful ideas.
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks Camilla! Yes I have been doing some walking, a mile or two a day and I just started the C25K today to see if I can get to running some. I just quit smoking 15 days ago so I am a little slow.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    You might also want to check your macros, protein, fats and carbs. I find when I stay closer to my macros I dont stall nearly as much.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    I have started calorie cycling. for 6 weeks I eat at the 2 pounds/week goal. On week 7 I go to 1.5. On week 8 I go to .5 (because I like the wiggle room, you could also just do maintenance). Then, I start the whole 8 week process over. Here is why. Over time, your body works to get itself back in homeostasis. This is why you start to burn less calories doing the same work outs and why your body starts losing less weight with the same calorie deficit. By changing up your workouts and the amount you eat, your body isn't able to adjust for the gap. Another option is to go in to maintenance for a little while every time you lose 10% of your body weight. From what I have read, this will help you body readjust your sweet spot (the weight it thinks it wants to be at). Every time I do this I have a weight gush. Also, by having that week where you are basically just trying to maintain, it give you a little time to relax and not be such a food nazi.
  • Alta2000
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    find your TDEE- 20%, set mfp in that, and then start incorporating more exercise but do not eat back the exercise calories. If you want to walk, you can do the Leslie Sansone
    in the Befit channel, or explore other videos there
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=leslie+sansone+2+mile+walk+full+video&oq=lesli&gs_l=youtube.1.5.0l10.132.5917.0.7852.7.6.1.0.0.0.2192.2344.0j1j9-1.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.7bUVHde4w9o

As you become more accustomed to exercise, go at fitnessblender.com and do totalbody workouts, pilates, problem areas. Then do the 30days shred (you can find it for free in the befit channel) and can use cans/ 2lb water or soda bottles filled with water for start.
    Eat more fruits and vegetables, put the tuna on top of lettuce, the lettuce is like 30 calories per cup, eat fats like olive oil, avocado, peanut butter, but not in the light form; do not eat under your BMR, drink 8 glasses of water+ daily, cut soda.
    You are going to gain initially when you start exercising more heavily but do not panic.
  • susie_q46
    susie_q46 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi ..My name is Sue
    I have been doing the myfitnesspal for about a month. I am not losing.. I think I am set to high for calories to eat..
    I have it at 1450. Should I eat all of those?. If I exercise and get calories for that .. Should I eat those.. I am so confused.
    Can someone help me??
  • Alta2000
    Hi ..My name is Sue
    I have been doing the myfitnesspal for about a month. I am not losing.. I think I am set to high for calories to eat..
    I have it at 1450. Should I eat all of those?. If I exercise and get calories for that .. Should I eat those.. I am so confused.
    Can someone help me??

I'll tell you the same thing I told Buffy.

Give us height, weight, goal weight, what kind of exercises do you do and how long, foods you eat, open your diary, etc.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    find your TDEE- 20%, set mfp in that, and then start incorporating more exercise but do not eat back the exercise calories. If you want to walk, you can do the Leslie Sansone
    in the Befit channel, or explore other videos there
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=leslie+sansone+2+mile+walk+full+video&oq=lesli&gs_l=youtube.1.5.0l10.132.5917.0.7852.7.6.1.0.0.0.2192.2344.0j1j9-1.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.7bUVHde4w9o

As you become more accustomed to exercise, go at fitnessblender.com and do totalbody workouts, pilates, problem areas. Then do the 30days shred (you can find it for free in the befit channel) and can use cans/ 2lb water or soda bottles filled with water for start.
    Eat more fruits and vegetables, put the tuna on top of lettuce, the lettuce is like 30 calories per cup, eat fats like olive oil, avocado, peanut butter, but not in the light form; do not eat under your BMR, drink 8 glasses of water+ daily, cut soda.
    You are going to gain initially when you start exercising more heavily but do not panic.