Meat

kj26boys
kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I know I should know this but want to be sure. When I am inputting meat, do I put in the cooked ounces or raw # of ounces?

Replies

• lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    I do raw.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    I do cooked since I am more serving size orientated and use a tarring scale.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    I do cooked, since that amount is going in my mouth.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    I've been thinking about this lately and I think measuring raw is more accurate than measuring cooked.

The reason I say that is that the more you cook the meat the more water evaporates from it. How much water left it during cooking or reheating? Who knows?

If it's already cooked then it's better to weigh it and enter it as cooked, though.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    raw is more accurate

a rare steak weighs more than a well done steak.
  • kj26boys
    kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
    Whoa, about 50/50. I'll do a little more research before I decide. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    For things like beef, the cooked versus raw calories differ with the cut of the beef and how much it is cooked. If you check the USDA database, you'll find figures for both raw and cooked for many of the cuts. Go to http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list and either click on the beef category in the category list on the left or just search for a specific cut.
This discussion has been closed.