Accountability group - Guidance from someone who has lost 100 lbs

Options
It is a new year and I want to get back on the ball. Starting in 2014, I lost over 100 lbs. Since then, I have maintained this weight but have stalled on losing the last 30 or so pounds to reach my goal. I will begin on this goal starting today and welcome anyone no matter their experience level to join.

Having The Right Mindset

You need to have a strong reason for wanting to lose weight. Think of what the real benefits of losing weight are. To be more attractive is not a good reason. To feel better, cure and/or prevent health issues, to have the ability to shop at a store that is not a big and tall store, are better reasons.

What Losing Weight Won't Do For You

It won't cure your shame, emotional scars, trauma, unrealistic beliefs, or make people genuinely like you.

* No amount of weight loss will cure your unhealthy self-image

If you have an unhealthy self-image, this is something you need to work on before or concurrently with your goals. And this is for everything in life.

Special Note

You need to have boundaries and the ability to not let other people influence you and sabotage your goals. Whenever a person decides to change their life and move away from the typical path, people will try to pull you back. Society, family, friends, co-workers, just about everyone. Some people do it unconsciously and others make a conscious effort due to envy, insecurity, and fear of losing control.

If you do not have an environment that allows you to have the freedom to work on your goals it will be a constant challenge. I believe most people fail at their goals and live lives they hate due to the influence and sabotage from those around them. Stay away from the friend that brings donuts around and tells you to have one, or the friends that always want to go out to eat or to bars. Friends or family that engage in unhealthy habits need to be kept at an arm's length.

The reason I mentioned all this first is this is VERY important to be successful. If you do not nail this down you will have trouble moving ahead in your goals. Don't be afraid to set hard boundaries or cut people off if they are too aggressive and invasive.

Now that this is over, let's move on to what you will need....

• Digital food scale
  • Body weight scale
  • Willingness to learn as you go

1. Calculate your BMR
2. Reduce your caloric intake slightly (BMR - 100 calories) this is your daily goal in calories
3. Add in some type of exercise or physical activity (optional). It is helpful but not necessary. The goal is going slow and easy, but being consistent. Find what works for you and increase/decrease based on what you can handle.
4. Be accurate with weighing food.
5. Weigh yourself weekly as a tool of measurement and progress.

* No matter your weight loss goal, break it down into small chunks. Learn to lose just 1 pound. Learning to lose weight can then be scaled. If you can lose 1 pound, you can lose 2. If you can lose 2, you can lose 5, 10, 25, 50, 100.

* It is not uncommon to go a few weeks and not lose any weight. The important thing is looking at the overall trend over time. The weight scale is important to measure this trend and make adjustments due to what you see on the scale. If over a couple of weeks your weight is increasing, you then need to lower some calories. Measure your weight a few more weeks and notice the trend. You adjust accordingly.

* Weight fluctuates daily. It is not uncommon to step on the scale and notice your weight went up a few pounds followed by the next day it going down a few pounds. Or, not even moving at all. Remember, it is the overall trend you are looking at. The more consistent you are and the longer period of time you are doing this, the better data you have.

Anyway, that is it for now. If you'd like to join me just reply. If you'd like, share a little info about yourself - Age, weight loss goal, your reason(s) for going on this journey etc.

The way this group will work is to post your weekly progress. Post whether you hit your weekly goals or if you did not hit them. Maybe write down why you didn't hit your goals and think about what you can do differently the next week. Do not feel bad if you screwed up. There are many ups and down to this game. It is not linear. And failure is part of succeeding. All you need to do is make adjustments as you go along.

Replies

• valleyvet97
    valleyvet97 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm sixty years old and need to lose those 100 lbs. after a very active lifestyle in the navy for 21 years, I ended up behind a desk and went from full speed to all stop, and on came the pounds. I'm tired of having to take meds for things I know diet and exercise would take care of, like High blood pressure for starters. Thanks for starting this group. See you in a week, if not sooner. oh.. this morning I weighed 355 pounds. and I'm 6'5".
  • GertieLouTackett
    GertieLouTackett Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well said and I count me in. Four years ago I lost 30 lbs and felt great (was 10 lbs from my goal weight). Injured my knee and basically just let it all come flooding back on plus some. I'm turning 47 next month, have a sedentary desk job, a family history of obesity and related health issues, and I miss how I felt four years ago. As you said, the failures are part of the success story so I am not beating myself up over relapsing so to speak. I'm a rather tall woman (5'9") so people say I carry my weight well but what they don't get is I'm STILL carrying the weight which as topped off at 208 lbs.

Long Term goals:
    Weight: 165 lbs
    • Decrease prescription medications.
    • Complete a marathon (walk or run)
    • Have energy regularly.
    Long term goals are overwhelming so I make what I call "Now" goals. Basically short term goals but like weekly/monthly goals. It helps my mental state :smiley:

Now goals for January
    Weight 5 lbs (I set this to allow myself to readjust to portion control and detoxing the bacon out of my system).
    Exercise:
    • Some kind of movement/physical activity for at least 15 minutes a day.
    • Walk at brisk pace 3 times a week for 30 minutes or 2 miles
    • Strength training at least 2 days a week
    My Now Week plan for this week is to get my portion control back in check, reestablish my plan, and move!

Thanks for starting this. It was just what I was looking for. See you next week.

Weight Stats
    Starting 1/1/19: 208.4
    Goal : 165
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    How was everyone's week? I did well, I was on point with my nutrition until last night. I was stressed and got talked into going out to eat. But I'm right back at it tracking my calories.
  • GertieLouTackett
    GertieLouTackett Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Last week was an ok week for just getting back in the habit of tracking. Not perfect but ok. This week I returned to my high demanding desk job and food has been prepped so again that's been ok. But making time to be active is a struggle. I didn't lose or gain so again...an ok week.
  • valleyvet97
    Options
    weighed in at 350 yesterday - down 5 pounds! motivation is getting better. I'm actually using the gym membership I got. Planet Fitness. I really like it. the whole "not a gym, no intimidation" pitch works. lots of folks of all shapes and sizes in there, just doing their thing. been lousy at posting my eating on here, but at least I can admit that and work on it. here's hoping we all have a great week taking care of ourselves!
  • daklock
    daklock Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in too. I started on Jan 7th and am down 6 lbs as of this morning. I understand that is water weight. How long does losing water weight last? Have started many times, and as soon as some progress is seen, I let myself start grazing again. I am determined to be successful this time. I would like to lost 100 pounds in all, but have set 30 pounds as my first goal. I would like to get to the point where my knees are not sore all the time, where I can go for a walk without hurting, and so that I can do some fun things in the summer when we go camping - like kayaking and hiking.
  • daklock
    Options
    Okay checking in. I started a week ago on Jan. 7th. and today I am down 9 lbs. Feeling good. Went for a walk this morning and I didn't feel all sore and tired after. It's a start.....
  • valleyvet97
    Options
    Today's weigh in: 347. not bad, considering I had a nasty round of sciatica and didn't get much exercise in. but, I didn't turn to food for escape either. that's pretty big for me.
  • Anita4548
    Anita4548 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Quick question - isn't BMR - basic metabolic rate which means minimum calories you need to eat per day to survive? So if you take 100 off that, isn't that a bit low? Thanks
  • daklock
    Options
    I think the answer to your question is that if you need 1700 calories (example) to stay at your current weight, if you deduct 100 calories per day, this will put you in deficit, helping you to lose weight. Perhaps someone else can provide a more precise scientific answer.
  • valleyvet97
    Options
    Today's weigh in: 342. pretty happy about that. still nursing my back. I have stenosis, have had 2 surgeries, and it's back, rearing it's ugly head. but like I said before, rather than turn to my old friend food, I'm learning other ways to deal with it. that's huge for me. thanks!
  • Eilsan42
    Eilsan42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’d love all the support I can get. A few years ago I lost a good bit of weight but unfortunately I’ve gain a good chunk of it back. I just turned 32 and I really want this to be my last year feeling unhealthy. I’m looking for some one to talk to that is also going through this process. I hope that we’d be able to be support for one another.
  • Trifecta2697
    Trifecta2697 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone🙂
    41 y.o. mom of 3 and preschool teacher to 18 lovely rambunctious 3 y.o.'s
    While I wasn't working it was easy getting in the workouts and watching my intake. My goal is to bring myself down to 1400 cals a day..which for the most part has been pretty good.
    Since I've started work I've not really...no, truth is I haven't worked out other than chasing lil ones.
    Tonight I am trying to motivate myself to get up and go do a walk/run...because I can't run straight just yet even though it's kind of late.
    I'm looking for like minded individuals for support because I'm doing this on my own. Everyone in the house is not on board...even though I've introduced small dietary changes😁 I'm buying a fiod scale tomorrow and a new weight scale as well.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm here for support too! Have lost & gained and want it off for good. Tired of sabotaging myself. I've got so many reasons to lose the weight.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    My weight is not moving much. Goes up a few pounds, then down a few, and repeats. Need to work more on my mentality. Just been dealing with stress really. I think I still struggle with fear of succeeding. In other words, I sabotage myself. Need to think more about why I do that.
  • LAMCDylan
    edited January 2019
    Options
    daklock wrote: »
    I think the answer to your question is that if you need 1700 calories (example) to stay at your current weight, if you deduct 100 calories per day, this will put you in deficit, helping you to lose weight. Perhaps someone else can provide a more precise scientific answer.

That's right. And no, deducting a small amount like 100 calories will not be too much. It may be a little difficult at first because when you begin to cut calories you'll experience the feeling of being hungry. I don't know if it happens to everyone though. But this feeling goes away. I think when people first start dieting and cutting calories, it is hard because people are used to not being disciplined with food and are used to eating whatever they want and how much they want. Once you start monitoring your intake you start to understand how your eating was out of control and your body/mind is not used to deprivation.

Anyway, BMR is just how much your body burns just being alive. It is the energy your body needs to carry out all its metabolic processes. The trick is, you play around with your caloric intake. When you have the BMR number, you arbitrarily pick a number of calories you will cut. You listen to your body and you'll know what is too much or too little. It's all trial and error until you find the appropriate amount. That is why you have to weigh yourself to notice what is going on.

• LAMCDylan
    Options
    Anita4548 wrote: »
    Quick question - isn't BMR - basic metabolic rate which means minimum calories you need to eat per day to survive? So if you take 100 off that, isn't that a bit low? Thanks

It's sorta low. The suggestion of reducing 100 calories is just taking it safe. It is easing people into it. People can choose to go lower. They just have to monitor what is going on. But you don't want to reduce too much or else you will be too hungry and risk the possibiilty of binging. I always recommend taking it slow and easy. Go small first and then adjust.
  • daklock
    Options
    21 days of logging - down 14 pounds. yay! It's working. I have to really watch my portion sizes and weigh everything. Its very easy to eat an extra 100 calories or more in just a few spoons more here, and a nibble of something there. So this week I will be concentrating on weighing and measuring all my foods to avoid those extra calories sneaking in.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    daklock wrote: »
    21 days of logging - down 14 pounds. yay! It's working. I have to really watch my portion sizes and weigh everything. Its very easy to eat an extra 100 calories or more in just a few spoons more here, and a nibble of something there. So this week I will be concentrating on weighing and measuring all my foods to avoid those extra calories sneaking in.

Great job!!
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    How's everyone's progress? I'm still maintaining on the diet but no exercise yet. I go out for some hikes every now and then. I'm thinking about pulling the P90 DVD out and getting started on an exercise routine.