Join my small intentional Group:Women over 40, Need to Lose 70-100, will close group after 20 member

Hi, I'd really like to have a support group this year on my journey to lose weight but want to keep the group small enough for meaningful interactions. I figure if we start with 20 members we'll pare down to 10 rather quickly (and sadly, but I've been there so many times myself!).

So if you want to join me and think we have enough in common please reply to this message.

I'm a 52 year old mother of 4 working as a substitute teacher 2-3 days/week. I'm purposely not working full time to focus on my weight loss. My lifetime weight journey could fill a book! I've never been super thin; generally wore sizes 12-14 before kids (I'm 5'7"). I was as big as a 20 (almost 22) in the Fall of 2016. Since then I've come down to an 18 with some 16's, but maintained and backslid a bit last year.

Diet: calorie counting here; minimize sugar and carbs
Exercise: yoga, walking, weights at the gym. (all of this has been very rare for the past 6 months but I plan to get back to daily exercise).

I only get online 2-4 times a day, so please don't get discouraged if I don't respond quickly. I am prepared to commit to a daily starter post at about 6am and an afternoon/evening follow-up.

I use the nickname Kitty and am open to suggestions for a group name.

Thank you!

Replies

• unc98mlc
    unc98mlc Posts: 32 Member
    I am a 42yo mother of 2. I’m a teacher working full time and would like to lose 75lbs (maybe more). I was a little overweight as a child but super fit during my 20s. Then I had my son and hovered around 190 for years. Within the last 3-4 years I’ve gotten up to 225 (~where I am now).

I struggle with consistency and giving up too easily. But it’s time to focus and have success!

I’d love to have a motivation/accountability group!
  • ashrymom
    ashrymom Posts: 816 Member
    Hi I’m an almost 48 (next week) mother of two teens and I’m also a teacher.
    I have the same strategy CICO, yoga and walking and weights is my plan.
    I love the idea of a smaller group. I’m not sure how much weight I need to lose but am aiming for 30 as a start.
    I want to be fit and healthy not just skinny.
    My ultimate dream is to be a size 8
    Please add me. Although I’m still trying to figure out how to use these message boards.
  • FebruaryStar3
    FebruaryStar3 Posts: 83 Member
    Hi Kitty,

My name is Christa and I have a final goal of 100 pounds but have two short term goals, first i want to lose 50 pounds by mid June this year and then the next 50 by May 2020.

I have gained and lost the same 60 pounds 3 times since 2012, I know how to lose weight,I just don't know how to stop the self sabotaging every time a stressful situation arises in my life.

I have been on here since 2012, but I decided it was time for a new profile and name. No use in looking back at my past successes and beating myself up for not maintaining, there is nothing I can do about that now.

I am 44 years old, will turn 45 in Feb, married 24 years this May, and have 2 sons, 22 & 21, oh and a sweet 1 year old fur-baby Rudy who is a shih tzu mix.

To start, I will focus on calories in and calories out, I am a emotional and binge eater, so it's what works best for me. I will do kettle bell training 3 days a week and cardio only 2 days.

I would love to join your group, and am totally clueless as to a name suggestion...lol. :)
  • carolkittydavis
    carolkittydavis Posts: 639 Member
    I'm so happy we are forming! Welcome! I'm a not a pro on the groups here - but will get one started this afternoon for us and the next 15 who comment! I'm off to yoga now - a "gentle flow" class.
  • mogminnie
    mogminnie Posts: 11 Member
    Hi,
    I'm 41. Teach full time in the UK (year 6). I have 3 boys aged 16, 17 and 3 and want to lose about 70lbs.

I signed up to myfitnesspal initially through a wellbabe study (pregnancy diabetic study) with the NHS in 2015 and while pregnant I lost around 50lbs.

Sadly to say due to the stress of one of my teens I've put most of it back on.

So beginning my journey again satrting today. 1200 calories a day and no alcohol.

Would love to join your group.
  • theresamwalmsley
    theresamwalmsley Posts: 1 Member
    I would love to join. I need the support! I am going to decrease my junk food intake, I eat way too much of it.
  • HalyzBioStructures
    HalyzBioStructures Posts: 62 Member
    Hi there Ladies. Im 49 live in South Africa currently. I've had along love hate relationship with my weight and body in general. Ive joined up on mfp today my goal being weight loss, working to repair DR and improving lifestyle and all round quality of life. I would love to have the opportunity connect with others on similar journeys. H
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Hello, I might be one who joins and tails off - mainly because I forget about the groups.
    I'm in the UK, 50yrs old, also 5'7, was a UK size 24/26 and currently hovering around size 20.
    I lost 57lbs for my 50th birthday holiday and I think I've probably put between 10 and 14 back on since mid-November due to the holiday and going completely mad over the festive holiday - so my first goal is to lose that!
    After that I'm not sure where to go, I don't want to be super skinny as I think I'll have issues with loose skin. I've bought an outfit is my main goal and want to try and get away from being beholden to the scales and a number.
    I work in an office so aren't as active as I need to be and I eat anything within my calorie allowance - I won't use the word "diet" I am making good lifestyle choices!
  • sarahlynn78
    sarahlynn78 Posts: 132 Member
    Hi! I am 40 years old. I live in the US and am an accountant, so I spend most of my day sitting at a desk and working on spreadsheets. I'm also 5'7".

I was a healthy weight until I graduated from college, but I always thought I was 30 lbs overweight. Once I had a desk job, I quickly put on 30 lbs in 3 months. The weight gain slowed down, but I kept gaining throughout the years. I started MFP in 2011. I lost around 30 lbs and it really boosted my self esteem. So, I decided it was time to go back to school and become a CPA. Slowly, I set my healthy eating and exercising aside and gained back all of the weight I lost plus another 30 lbs. When I turned 39, I was at an all time high of 255 lbs. I lost 40 lbs before my 40th birthday. I decided to give myself a week off to celebrate. That week has now turned into 7 months! Fortunately, I only gained back 10 lbs.

I'd like to slowly lose 70-75 lbs. This time, I'm trying to be more realistic about what I need to be successful in losing the weight and keeping it off. I want it to be a lifestyle and not a diet. I need to consistently log my meals, even if it's a bad meal or bad day, because if I don't the bad day will turn into a bad week and then a bad month. I need to start exercising on a regular basis. I need to cut back on sugar and processed carbs. I need to cook more, because I eat out far too often.

I'd love to join a small group that helps motivate and support each other!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Hi! I am 40 years old. I live in the US and am an accountant, so I spend most of my day sitting at a desk and working on spreadsheets. I'm also 5'7".

I was a healthy weight until I graduated from college, but I always thought I was 30 lbs overweight. Once I had a desk job, I quickly put on 30 lbs in 3 months. The weight gain slowed down, but I kept gaining throughout the years. I started MFP in 2011. I lost around 30 lbs and it really boosted my self esteem. So, I decided it was time to go back to school and become a CPA. Slowly, I set my healthy eating and exercising aside and gained back all of the weight I lost plus another 30 lbs. When I turned 39, I was at an all time high of 255 lbs. I lost 40 lbs before my 40th birthday. I decided to give myself a week off to celebrate. That week has now turned into 7 months! Fortunately, I only gained back 10 lbs.

I'd like to slowly lose 70-75 lbs. This time, I'm trying to be more realistic about what I need to be successful in losing the weight and keeping it off. I want it to be a lifestyle and not a diet. I need to consistently log my meals, even if it's a bad meal or bad day, because if I don't the bad day will turn into a bad week and then a bad month. I need to start exercising on a regular basis. I need to cut back on sugar and processed carbs. I need to cook more, because I eat out far too often.

I'd love to join a small group that helps motivate and support each other!

Snap, I'm an accountant too! Those darn spreadsheets keep me chained to my desk all day......
    Completely empathise with you about logging, I'm out of the habit and a complete lack of planning and self control through the holidays has demonstrated to me that I need to keep at it.
    I've set my goal as 0.5lb per week, I'm anticipating it taking upwards of 18 months to reach my target.
    Monday is my official restart day.
  • dmvilla3682
    dmvilla3682 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm a bit older.(69 in Feb.). 2 grown sons & a 50th anniversary coming up in April. Last year I started out at 245 lbs. Ended the year at 209-211. The last few months have been see-sawing back and forth. Before that it was a progressively drop in lbs. It may be that I haven't been logging in my meals the last few months. Before that I did. Now the doctor wants me to loose 35 lbs this year as a goal.( I had needed to loose 105 lbs to begin with.) I still have a long way to go. Here's hoping to get support & accountability. Maybe I can even encourage someone else & help them.
  • jasolis101
    jasolis101 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi -

My name is Jenn. I'm 5'7'', 45 and single mother to one. My profile picture is from June 2017 - I had joined a boot camp style workout group and lost a little over 30lbs. I was burned out from the 5am workouts and decided to try it on my own. Well - that didn't pan out - and I'm back where I started. I'm sick that I gained that weight back - both literally and figuratively. I'm done not feeling good and need to make this happen.

New year, new commitment. Logging my meals and my boyfriend got me a fitbit for Christmas. Here is to reaching a few of my goals:

Starting Weight: 240lbs
    Goal #1: One-derland!!! - be under 200lbs
    Goal #2: Be under 180lbs
    Goal #3: Goal Weight of 160lbs. (Normal Range of BMI Chart)

On Day 2 of the Whole30 program.
  • HalyzBioStructures
    This is awesome. I really hope we can have each other's backs and keep us on a good path. Feeling isolated I believe has been part of my yoyo weight. I'm already excited and we are just starting out.

Let me fill in a bit of info about me

49 yrs old, have 2 daughters 18 and 16. Stopped working end of 2014, moved to New Zealand and lived there 3 yrs.
    Now back in South Africa with the aim of moving to Fiji in 24 months.

Right before my birthday last year I eventually got an official diagnoses of Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) all though I had figured it out already . So weight loss may help with that as will eating better and healing my DR and getting my butt moving ;)

How long will it take? I don't know but will take it slow make it sustainable and keeping going. I know now I'm not alone .

At the end of the day being healthy is what's important and meeting new friends along the way is just fantastic
  • carolkittydavis
    carolkittydavis Posts: 639 Member
    I just setup the group called "Kitty & The Losers" and invited everyone so far...please check in once you get there and if I misspelled your name on the invite (you didn't get it) I apologize, just let me know and I'll try again.
  • HalyzBioStructures
    Yay im in. Going to bed now will catch you all laters .
  • sarahlynn78
    sarahlynn78 Posts: 132 Member
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

Snap, I'm an accountant too! Those darn spreadsheets keep me chained to my desk all day......
    Completely empathise with you about logging, I'm out of the habit and a complete lack of planning and self control through the holidays has demonstrated to me that I need to keep at it.
    I've set my goal as 0.5lb per week, I'm anticipating it taking upwards of 18 months to reach my target.
    Monday is my official restart day.

Hello fellow accountant! Lack of planning is a downfall for me too. I'm expecting it to take me somewhere between 18 - 24 months. Looking forward to supporting each other's healthy lifestyle choices!
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    I’m 48 SAHM with 2 kids that I am homeschooling with the help of our local alternative public school.

My oldest (15) is an autistic person, who currently needs extra support from me. But he is doing so well I finally can focus on myself some. My 11 is neurotypical and is also doing well. He requires little from me. Which is a blessing. Because I really think we could only handle one child with extra challenges.

DH is very supportive of my lifestyle change.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Oh, and I’m tracking on Noom.
  • gwcollins71
    gwcollins71 Posts: 12 Member
    I would love to join this group if there’s still room. My name is Gretchen and I’m 48, married and have two silly kids. I teach fifth grade and am a Cub Scout leader.

I’ve been a constant dieter/chubette since I was 12. I was actually at a semi healthy weight in college until I met my husband of 20 years.

At this point, I am officially type 2 diabetic w high blood pressure. I quit smoking right after thanksgiving so I’m overall just trying to focus on the health aspect right now.

As I’ve said, I’d like to join the group if there’s still room.