Snapshot of a REAL run. . . not all sunshine & roses

Options
sevsmom
sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
So, yesterday morning had a 10 miler on the schedule. I went to bed the night before with a plan for waking just after sunrise, a mapped out path, and the expectation of a flawless run like I'd had at that mileage 2 weeks before (last weekend was a step back week).

Well, the first sign that things weren't going to work out *just* as planned surfaced when I awoke to the sun streaming through the windows. I had overslept by over an hour. Crap. Now I'll be dealing with full sun on this run. Ugh.

I stumbled around to get my running clothes/gear on, and noticed my shins were a bit achy. Better wear the compression sleeves. I'll look a bit ridiculous, but at least my legs will have support.

I arrive at my chosen trailhead and got all geared up and ready to go. The first mile was much like most first miles for me. Tedious. My breathing was erratic and my head just didn't feel like doing this. I was calculating just how far I could run and not feel like a failure for flaking out on the entire 10. The next few miles, my legs felt like lead. It was utterly an act of determination to make myself make it to the 4 mile mark. Once I hit mile 5, I enjoy a chocolate energy gel and some water. Chocolate. . .now THAT'S motivation!

My legs were no longer lead, but a new sensation was emerging....under my arm pits. For the first time in my admittedly short (2 years) running career, I was experiencing chafing! Now, it's not as bad as getting bleeding nips like the fellows do, but having chafing sores under your arms whilst running (and after)...SUCKS!!! Sad thing is, my hubby had bought me some body glide months ago but I'd never used it. I think I will from now on.

OK....mile 7 was interesting. While the arm pits were now clearly in full on chafing mode, I did have a small little pick-me-up. Two middle aged men on bikes approached from behind and signaled their approach. After like 30 seconds they started actually passing me and the lead gentleman YELLED out...."Your outfit looks very nice!" I chose to be flattered. They must've liked those neon green calf sleeves.

I was tempted at mile 8 to just pack it in and walk it out. I can walk 2 miles. But, I was already behind schedule and I had a 1 pm meeting to get home and get ready for. So I continued to push on.

By the time I finished, both my arm pits were on fire, my shins were now numb, and I had sweat pouring in my eyes. I was sweating like crazy thanks to the near mid day sun. I sought out some shade to stretch. As I stretched by the picnic table in the shade, I was attacked by a swarm of mosquitos. (OK, just a few, but geez!) I cut short the stretching to just get on home.

My legs ached the rest of the afternoon because I didn't get a good stretch. I was itching my mosquito bites. And don't get me started with my arm pits. Oh My GOODNESS!!!

There was no magical moment of bliss while on the run. There was discomfort, questionable dedication to the goal, and well, an all out feeling of this just NOT being a good run. Why do I do this to myself?!

But, as I was sitting in my 1 pm meeting, I was planning out next week's 12 miler with great eagerness & anticipation. Next week will be another magical run. I just KNOW it!

Sorry if that narrative burst the bubble of those who have the impression that all running is easy and leads to some zen-like bliss. More often than not, the run isn't fabulous, but those that love to run use that as motivation to pursue the "excellent" run NEXT time we lace up!

One story. One day. What's your running story?

Replies

• JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this. Good for you on the run, I consider that to be amazing. I can do a 5k but thats about it!! Plus I am not fast by any means.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I took a dump in some ones front yard one time.

I lived in a rural area at the time so its not like it was out in the open. Still hilarious!
  • sevsmom
    Options
    I took a dump in some ones front yard one time.

I lived in a rural area at the time so its not like it was out in the open. Still hilarious!

Haven't had to resort to public urinating or defecating. . .but I just literally laughed out loud at that one!!!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    That was brutal honesty. Love it! Good for you for finishing.

Last weekend I speed walked the beach. I don't know how many miles, but I walked from one town to another. As I got to the next town, I realized the bottoms of my feet were bruised, blistered and bloody. I was my first really long beach walk/barefoot this year, and apparently, my feet weren't conditioned yet. I kept going, but on the way back I was faced with walking through the sand and getting it into my cuts or walking in the cold yet salty water. I just went back & forth, When one was unbearable, I did the other. I'll admit, my pace slowed a little, but I finished. I did a similar walk this morning. But this time my feet handled it (though one bruise is nearly black now and freaking me out).

I was just reading a thread where someone said runners weren't very friendly, because many didn't wave as they passed her. I was thinking about that morning with the swollen, bloody feet & how rude I must have looked. lol
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    " More often than not, the run isn't fabulous, but those that love to run use that as motivation to pursue the "excellent" run NEXT time we lace up!"

I'm a new runner so it's good to know that early on. I'll keep my expectations in check and not be disillusioned.

I always, always have some new ache and pain almost with each run and I've been entertaining the thought that maybe running just isn't for me. I enjoy running - if not LOVE.. so I'll keept at it. Your story is motivating. I enjoyed reading it! Thank you.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    People think running is easy??? I didn't pick up running until age 33 because it seemed so hard! I could think of plenty of more enjoyable ways to burn a few calories. I like that running is hard because when I have a day like I did today which was only enjoyable, I appreciate it more because I know not all days are like that.

I had a difficult running week last week. Three days I had to run with my 3 yearold in the jogger, so 1 7 mile run and 2 5.2s. Both of the 5+ runs were the commute home from work, so bright sunshine 82+ degrees, tired from the day and the kid had some heavy stuff with her. Also, she threw a container of cheerios out of the stroller (I don't think it was 100% intentional, she may have been handing it to me and the wind caught it) it somehow hit me, bounced off and then I crushed it with the stroller. And of course I had to stop running to pick it up.

Different day, we met up with some construction I couldn't get around with the stroller and a walk sign that wouldn't work that sent us 15 mins out of our way.

Then I had a day like today. My daughter didn't come (spending time with her dad) it was relatively cool, I did my homework with good hydration and a really useful dinner the day before, started out with my running partner 30 mins earlier than normal and I had an amazing run. My partner had to tell me to slow down. We went our separate ways at mile 6.5 (she was doing 7 I planned 8) and I got home at the same time as her because I had the energy to really pick up the pace in the last mile, which was my fastest that run. When I got home, I felt like I could have kept going. And I realized that it seems like the stroller is making me a stronger runner. It was a good day.
  • sevsmom
    Options

I was just reading a thread where someone said runners weren't very friendly, because many didn't wave as they passed her. I was thinking about that morning with the swollen, bloody feet & how rude I must have looked. lol

I feel this way, too. I always nod, smile or give a little wave. It's a "we're in this together" kinda thing. But, if someone looks clearly in pain, I understand the less than engaging behavior.

there's a gal who runs the same areas I do during the work week. she NEVER waves, smiles or anything. It's annoying. I think she's a bit of a snob, but she's probably just clearly in the zone. :-)

I need to be less judgmental!
  • sevsmom
    Options
    @stella....don't give up!!!! Learn about body mechanics and stretching and icing and the occasional ibuprofen/acetaminophen to manage/minimize soreness and injuries. I pushed myself through some pain that first year and found out my shoes & stride were literally killing my legs! New shoe style, new stride (not easy to retrain that one) and I'm MUCH less injury prone. Add in some targeted stretching and the aches and pains really do minimize.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    These runs are memorable and make me love running more because when the next run is even just ok you appreciate it more AND you learn that you can be fierce and handle a tough run like a bad *kitten*
  • sevsmom
    Options
    @RunnerEliz...I can't imagine running while pushing a stroller. You are a rock star in my book!! And running after work just doesn't work for me in the summer. I struggle with lunch time runs when it's over 70 degrees.

Summary....I'm a wimp! :-)
  • Takianna
    Takianna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chocolate...did someone say chocolate? Energy stuff? That IS motivation! Good on you for running. Sadly my knee tendon issues don't allow me to run distance. I totally understand the boost they give you. Awesome stuff!
  • smartseagull
    Options
    I started running a couple of years ago. Most of the time I run for an hour, which for me is more or less 6 miles. I've gone up to 8, but haven't really thought about pushing myself much beyond that.
    Last summer, I was getting ready to spend my fall semester of junior year abroad in Morocco. I was nervous about a lot of things, and decided to go on a brief run the day before I was going to leave. I was on this forest path that's an out-and-back with an incline for the first mile or so. After the first two miles, I thought to myself, maybe I should turn around in another half mile. Then I was at 3 miles, feeling good, enjoying my music, and I kept running. It was a combination of enjoying a run at home for the last time and working out my nerves, that by the 4th mile, I decided to run one more before I turned around and run for a full 10 miles. And miles 4-7 were fine... but then I hit mile 8, and I could feel pain all over my legs. Those last two I had to push myself through, and when I was done, I was in pain, but I was so proud, too. When I came back for dinner and my parents asked why I was late, I smiled as I explained myself.
    The next day, I woke up early and was sore all throughout the day, which was fine because I was just sitting in an airplane. I tried running in Morocco for a bit, but not many people run there, and I was harassed quite a bit when I ran, even though I was wearing modest athletic clothing. I stopped after a month, and have only recently become consistent in my runs again.
  • sevsmom
    Options
    @smartseagull. . .isn't it funny how we can be in pain, but if we surpass a personal benchmark or achieve a time personal record/best...we smile like idiots and tell all our friends. But, it was hard earned!!!

Glad your back home and in an area more accepting of your running. Hope you're back up to your higher mileage soon!!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    People think running is easy???

I think those of us who don't run, but would LIKE to, look at runner's and think it they make LOOK easy.

My 50-yr-old-going-on-18 girlfriend just finished Ragnar (200mile, over-night relay, for those that don't know...) a few weeks ago. In her pictures on Facebook, she looks strong, sexy, sweaty, and is SMILING from ear to ear (she also looks hella-good in her running gear and pigtails!). I had gone hiking the same day and was limping from a "level 1" hike of all of 3 miles....so yeah, it SEEMS easy for some people.

Now, the truth was, much like the OP...she had chafed, rubbed, blistered, puked, and couldn't hardly walk for days afterward. I think she even lost a toenail or two (not uncommon, so I hear)...but damn it, in those pictures, I thought she looked like the most amazing woman ever.
  • michellenichole83
    michellenichole83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but I'm trying as of late. I recently broke the 12 min mile on the treadmill, then a sub 10 min mile on the indoor track (though I'm not sure how accurate the distance is.) Last week I decided to try some outdoor jogging in the late evening. The first night I did just over 1.5 miles, maintaining at 5.5 mph. The next night I did a preset runkeeper workout (run 1 m, walk a quarter mile, run 1m). Mile one wasn't bad, my knees and shins were a little sore from the night before, but tolerable. After the walk, everything hurt, and it took a lot of willpower to maintain a steady shuffle. My pace was a lot slower (4.6 or so, 13:12/mile), but I made it through.

I walked a 5k+ with the stroller this afternoon, but I think I'll go for a run tonight when it gets dark. I find that I like outdoor running much more than indoor. The obstacles keep things interesting :-)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    All runs are real. But you get a few runs that truly epically suck as well as a few where it seems like the planets align and it's perfect. The majority fall in-between and aren't memorable to any degree.

The worst run for me started with getting stung by a bee in the neck about a mile or two in. Luckily I'm not allergic but that set the tone. Then we had a weird temperature drop and it started hailing on us. So now I'm freezing and getting peppered with hail. I'm miserable at this point. I'm not into this run at all and I'm just going through the motions. Then the route took us down into a valley that I've run many times before but apparently not after a lot of rain and run off because it's completely flooded. I've never seen it like that. I try at first to run up on the higher sides of the trail in a poor attempt at keeping my feet dry but there's a lot of brush with nasty things like thorns and needles that like to bite. After a painful run in with some stinging nettle (they have hypodermic sharp needles that feel like you've set yourself on fire when they embed into your skin) I decide that running through a couple of miles of 6" deep cold muddy rainwater might be a better choice. I am not a happy camper.

There was absolutely nothing about that run I enjoyed. I didn't even feel any sort of sense of accomplishment at having persevered for 20 miles and for hours on end. I was just relieved to be done. Now I'm normally quite happy and in a great mood when I'm running. Even when things go south I usually can just roll with it and mentally adjust but I had a black cloud over my head all day on this particular run that I just couldn't shake. Fortunately this is a rare occurrence but it sure was memorable.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'll bet that despite an unenjoyable run, you have something of the warrior sense of achievement for sticking with it.

You're very tough. I would consider yesterday's run a great mental training session. Good prep for your next race.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't know who thought a run was sunshine and roses... i love your description! you sound like a real winner!
  • sevsmom
    Options
    I see posts all the time about people wondering what the deal is with the "runner's high" and I can't breathe, and my legs hurt, and my feet, hurt. Just wanted to take a stab at showing folks that sometimes running does NOT feel good. Yes, there are times when the mind, body and elements are all in harmony and you have an amazing run. You feel great running, you feel great afterwards...it's just perfect. More often then not, the run will be a challenge. Forcing you to push past your mental hang ups and forcing you to decide to be stronger than your discomfort/anxiety/laziness/etc.

I LOVE to run. I am aware of my physical limitations and have worked hard to learn new methods to squeeze the most out of my limited time and ability. And, I'm on fire to improve. Even if just a little bit. I set goals for myself. Currently, a marathon. But, a goal is my #1 to push myself beyond what my body and head think I can do.

If you are considering running as your physical activity of choice, do so with the understanding that sometimes it just plain sucks. But when it rocks...it REALLY rocks!!!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Happiness comes and goes while running you feel great and then you can hit a plateau and fight thru it and then feel great for the effort and the world is a happy place. Last February I was down in Orlando on vacation and training for my first 10K I had never run a race before of any distance. I decided to do a 6 mile run to see if I could do the distance.
    A. It was winter in Florida and I had been running in 20's and 30's and here it was 76 degrees and I was pouring sweat off me which lead to the second problem OP talked about chafing and guys having bloody nips I had never experienced that before, and boy was I surprised. I felt the irritation but figured another mile or so and I was done so press on. Well people are starting to look at me as I approach, well I am 65 years old so I figure they are looking at the old man running. No big deal I smile and nod and keep going.
    I get back back to our unit and slow down and and then look at my nice WHITE tech shirt I got just for Florida and there on my shirt on my right side is a red spot about 2 inches around and now I know people are looking at my bleeding nipple. So good feelings come and go. I forget the bad feelings and savor the good so I keep going.
    So it may not be all sunshine and roses but I forget the clouds and storms and that gets me back out the next time