Data crunchers - Insights you can share?

Options
MsBaz2018
MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I was looking at my tiny data set (62 data points) in Excel today and got thinking about people who have tons more data. I was curious about what you've learnt.

I'll start. The striking for me was that half of the times I have weighed, I either gained, or weight didn't change. Yet overall I lost 10.2 lbs. Also I was expecting more fluctuations but the biggest one day variations I have had were a drop of 1.6 lbs and a jump of 1.2 lbs

Is there something interesting, quaint, insightful you've learnt from crunching your data?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose weight in a whoosh every month or two. For a few weeks I will bounce around the same weight and then I will lose and it will stick.

I regained some weight last winter when I let my diet slip a bit. The past few months I've followed a diet that works well for my health and followed an ad libitum challenge to follow my hunger. I'm not working to lose but it is happening. Anyways, below are my weekly weigh-ins. You can see the pattern of bouncing around a number and then finally having the scale drop down.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -

The last number is after I indulged in many more carbs than normal over the Xmas to new year week; it's mostly regained water weight... That's another trend I know of, more carbs = water weight gained. Cut carbs = water weight lost. Lol :D

• MsBaz2018
    Options
    I've learned what my actual TDEE is, which is very useful.

How do you figure it out?
  • MsBaz2018
    Options
    I only weigh once a month due to heavy fluctuations from my period, but the connection between my weigh-in and my calorie counts is pretty strong, and it's nice to see that even with a few crazy days, I still lose. The overall impact of those days shows in less loss, but there's still loss, and I think this is beneficial for people who worry about days like Thanksgiving. I had more than one day of way-over-maintenance, didn't "make up" for it, and still lost, just slower.

Too true. In the long run a deficit will end up showing on the scale. I didn't seem to lose anything in December but at the end it was still 4 lbs down for the whole month.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for year...I can have 9 lb swings...heck, just this past week I had a 6 lb drop from one day to the next...it's totally crazy!!!

Insights that I gained from crunching the reports this year...overall I gained some muscle and lost some fat, which reduced my body fat percentage, but did actually result in a 10 pound gain over the year...I'm happy to find myself cool with that and not freaking over the number on the scale...at this point if I can keep the muscle I have and lose about 5 more lbs of fat, then I should be *perfect*...at least until I set a new goal!!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,430 Member
    Options
    If I do bodyweight interval workouts I burn about 200kcal per 30 minutes (at my current maintenance weight). This is based on what's left when I look at MFP estimate of TDEE and calories consumed when losing weight. Actually, when I started maintaining I found that my TDEE is quite a bit higher than MFP estimates, and hence my interval workouts burn a lot of less energy. Doesn't matter. If I work out regularly and use MFP numbers it still works out for me :D
  • MsBaz2018
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »

Add up calories consumed over data period (I recommend at least four weeks, and at least eight weeks for premenopausal women). If weight changed during that time period, multiply weight difference in pounds by 3500 and, if the change was weight loss, add to total calories consumed during data period, or, if change was weight gain, subtract from total calories consumed during data period. If weight did not change during data period, do not add or subtract from total calories consumed. Divide the adjusted calories consumed (that is, calories consumed plus or minus any adjustment for weight change) by the number of days in the data period. Result is your TDEE.

You can also calculate your daily expenditure absent intentional exercise by subtracting total exercise calories during the data period before dividing by the number of days in the data period.

That makes sense. I'll make the calculations when I have more data. Thanks
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays I tend to weigh the heaviest. Makes sense as Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays are my big lifting days.

Taking a two day diet break every quarter I won't say "forces" a whoosh but it sure helps if I'm stalled.

• yirara
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays I tend to weigh the heaviest. Makes sense as Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays are my big lifting days.

Taking a two day diet break every quarter I won't say "forces" a whoosh but it sure helps if I'm stalled.

Mine are Thursday, Friday, Saturday, as I have an office job and hold onto a bit of water weight in my legs when working. Monday morning usually is the lightest.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    - My fluctuations are pretty random throughout the week and I haven't got much of a pattern.
    - My logging/calories burnt(fitbit) are correct to within 50kcals a day.
    - I'm more hungry and tend to overeat the week before my period is due

And I had a couple more but I can't remember them right now
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This topic fascinates me because I’m an analytical guy. Here’s one for starters, I’ll do more later.

In a recent 2 month period, my morning weigh-in weight hit a new low 15 times over a 64 day period, about one evening 4 days for total loss of 13.0 lbs. or an average of 1.42 lbs. per week compared to goal of 1.5 lbs. per week.

Since I began last 8/31/2018, Imy weekly average liss has been 1.47 lbs., closer to goal. This is assuring that I should make my initial single point goal of 177.0 lbs. by the third week of February if I do as I’ve done thus far.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Add up calories consumed over data period (I recommend at least four weeks, and at least eight weeks for premenopausal women). If weight changed during that time period, multiply weight difference in pounds by 3500 and, if the change was weight loss, add to total calories consumed during data period, or, if change was weight gain, subtract from total calories consumed during data period. If weight did not change during data period, do not add or subtract from total calories consumed. Divide the adjusted calories consumed (that is, calories consumed plus or minus any adjustment for weight change) by the number of days in the data period. Result is your TDEE.

You can also calculate your daily expenditure absent intentional exercise by subtracting total exercise calories during the data period before dividing by the number of days in the data period.

I've been keeping track in a spreadsheet my weekly calories using the weekly report on MFP. My 168 day TDEE average is 2,771. It started out around 2,950 the first month and has decreased to 2,600 due to the weight I've lost (45lbs). I'm still at 250lbs so that 2,600 TDEE is a reasonably accurate number. Currently, I'm eating 1,600 cals per day, so should continue losing at 2lbs per week for the near future. I'm a numbers guy, so this is kind of fun for me.
  • MsBaz2018
    Options
    This topic fascinates me because I’m an analytical guy. Here’s one for starters, I’ll do more later.

In a recent 2 month period, my morning weigh-in weight hit a new low 15 times over a 64 day period, about one evening 4 days for total loss of 13.0 lbs. or an average of 1.42 lbs. per week compared to goal of 1.5 lbs. per week.

Since I began last 8/31/2018, Imy weekly average liss has been 1.47 lbs., closer to goal. This is assuring that I should make my initial single point goal of 177.0 lbs. by the third week of February if I do as I’ve done thus far.

Fascinating how close you are to forecast.

Tracking on the app Monitor My Weight, I had perfect alignment just once. I think it was 50% lost in 50%of the time planned.

Also I am on average 1.2 lbs lighter in the morning than the previous night's weight. I don't do evening weights often though and never record them.

I couldn't figure out the formula to look at longest streak of losses before a gain. But that's something I thought about writing a formula for :-)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    In August of 2017 I had two consecutive large weight swings (weigh daily) that showed as outliers in my dataset so I dug into the circumstances and did this write-up.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10672255/examination-of-outlying-scale-fluctuation#latest
  • MsBaz2018
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    In August of 2017 I had two consecutive large weight swings (weigh daily) that showed as outliers in my dataset so I dug into the circumstances and did this write-up.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10672255/examination-of-outlying-scale-fluctuation#latest

Awesome! Complete with Executive Summary.
  • yirara
    Options
    Ok, now I'm bookmarking this thread. This is seriously geeky!

Fascinating how close you are to forecast.

Tracking on the app Monitor My Weight, I had perfect alignment just once. I think it was 50% lost in 50%of the time planned.

Also I am on average 1.2 lbs lighter in the morning than the previous night's weight. I don't do evening weights often though and never record them.

I couldn't figure out the formula to look at longest streak of losses before a gain. But that's something I thought about writing a formula for :-)

<3
    I love drooling over data, and this is no difference. Though I guess being a woman for me means I can't work with predictions unless I'm looking at really long term trends and not single data points. I'm sure I'll store extra water just on the 5 week point, or get an unexpected whoosh. :D
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have about ten years worth of weight data between here and another website. I've finally exported all of them into one spreadsheet. I only have calorie data for about a 9-month period in the beginning and in the last 6 months. I've definitely notice a pattern in my monthly weight fluctuations based on my cycle (it goes up a day or two before that time of the month and it goes away five days later). My weight goes up on Mondays and I'm at my lightest during the middle of the work week. I also figured that based on my the previous 12 weeks worth of data, my TDEE is around 1800.
  • MsBaz2018
    Options
    Unlike @yirara and @swirlybee I haven't (yet) detected any correlation between weight and cycle. 62 data points means only 2 cycles though. We'll see.