Question about logging

Options
So I enjoy making home made french fries in my air fryer. I don't use any oil or anything. It's 148 grams per serving for 110 calories. Do I weigh them before or after cooking them?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    For vegetables, I use the raw weight.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jmath0303 wrote: »
    So I enjoy making home made french fries in my air fryer. I don't use any oil or anything. It's 148 grams per serving for 110 calories. Do I weigh them before or after cooking them?

I would use an entry for raw potatoes and weigh them before cooking (make sure you find one for with skin if you keep the skin on). The best entries will be the ones from the USDA database
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've portioned out and froze 150 grams of peeled potatoes cut into chunks. ~115 cals so your numbers sound about right.
  • jmath0303
    jmath0303 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The weights are so much more different pre and post cooking.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jmath0303 wrote: »
    The weights are so much more different pre and post cooking.

The thing to watch out for is to weigh them the same state as the entry. Most of the food entries are for raw food. Potatoes are for raw. You don't want to weigh it cooked if the entry is for raw, and vice versa.

Some things are better weighed cooked (bacon comes to mind), but in most cases the entries are for raw.