Protein powder recommendation

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations for protein powder for weight loss thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I buy whey protein isolate from bulk barn and make my own shakes. For sweetening I use half and half sugar and artificial sweetener. I flavour with cocoa or sugar free syrups; hazelnut right now. For thickening I like a banana, yogurt, and just a half teaspoon of canthan gum.

Shakes are not low calorie. They are meal replacements and often a real meal is better.
  • Amandax6
    Amandax6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PE Science makes some great flavors. They also bake/cook well if you want to add it to recipes for snack bars, waffles and such.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I consistently expend 400-600 exercise calories a day AND MFP has me set at a pretty low net cal number. I have found that adding whey protein to yogurt is a way to add protein, dtave off hunger and maintain energy to last the day without adding a lot of additional calories.
  • petethegamer01
    petethegamer01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I only use them to top up my protein goals and maybe as a quick meal replacement if I am on the run. I get mine from Holland and Barrett as I am UK based as they are usually on a good deal. Currently on a salted caramel
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat protein powder to lose weight. Weight loss happens when you eat fewer calories than you burn, regardless of whether any of those calories come from protein powder or not.

You may want to use protein powder if you like the taste of it and you prefer to meet your protein goal that way. If those things are true for you, then any protein powder you enjoy and that fits into your calorie/macro goals is fine. If you don't like protein powder, then you don't need to eat it. Just make sure that you are getting enough protein from other sources.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. I like the double rich chocolate flavor. 29.99 for 2 lb tub at GNC or online.
  • shunda03
    shunda03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of GHOST products - i've tried the cheaper brands and unfortunately they taste horrible or leave an aftertaste i can't stand drinking daily. You can find GHOST products at GNC online and line it with a coupon, then you can get away with a good deal.
  • ncgirl8
    ncgirl8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Scivation just released XTEND PRO - I've only had the vanilla, but I love it (and I'm not a fan of vanilla, in general).
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My husband and I regularly have RSP Truefit for breakfast. I mix mine with unsweetened almond milk for extra calcium, he just uses water. The chocolate and cinnamon flavors are the best, the vanilla is okay but not great. Best price I've found for it is on bodybuilding.com.

What we like about it is that it includes a veggie blend for fiber and minerals along with probiotics with the whey protein. It's a pretty balanced way to drink your breakfast, which we both find an easy way to keep calories down early in the day. We both like to have a lot of calories left for dinner.
  • npatel160
    npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the recommendations!
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Costco has a nice chocolate vegan protein powder. Like others have noted I don’t drink it lose weight but to give a good bunch of protein, and it’s pretty convenient to make and mix and drink on the drive to work. I add a couple teaspoons of PB2 to give it a Reese’s type flavor - chocolate with peanut butter.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    None really.. I like to eat my protein.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's great to add a scoop to a smoothie to get a protein boost. It keeps me full longer, too. I like Tera's Whey, but it's pricey.
  • m1kk1
    m1kk1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Beverly International's Muscle Provider is my very favorite. It mixes well and it's delicious. I also use Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey in cappuccino or chocolate mint.
  • Jaynerose626
    Jaynerose626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In regards to protein powder. There is a pea protein powder called RAW, from the arazona brand. It's not bad at all however due to being a pea protein powder (yes vegan friendly) it is lacking the amino acid leucine. So you'll need to factor in something like having oats to make your shake a complete essential amino acid mix.