Newbie questions

Options
What are some good free weight exercises to do to bulk fast but healthy. Im stuck as far as I want to bulk up and need to but have zero clue where to start. Im thinking of using body fortress protein powder too. When are best times to drink it??

Replies

• fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fast is relative. You'll see that over in the weight loss forums. "how do I lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks" answer? you don't.

Why do you want to "bulk up"? To get better sports performance? Because you want to look good? There could be different solutions .....

Ok, there's plenty on here in the forums on how to figure many calories to consume, I won't repeat all that. I will emphasize 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight for strength gains, and figure out the rest of your calories / macros from there. LOTS of ways to get protein, but, many folks struggle to get 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight with just regular foods, and, as you suggest, use supplements to help. Lots of different brand, many many will work. I happen to like optimum nutrition's gold whey protein. I also like Muscle Milk, some argue it has too much fat in it, but, IMO, it tastes better than anything out there, and the worst protein you can buy is the one that specs out good but you leave on the shelf because you don't like the taste. :-) NOTE, skim milk also can be cheap, easy to get protein ....

When to drink it? Yes, you should drink protein shakes, and ANYTIME is better than NO TIME. :) Post workout is "THE BEST" time to add a protein drink, and some small amount of carbs at this time can help too. IMO, chocolate milk just after a workout is totally better than an electrolyte carb hi tech drink.

When else to drink it? Depends on how much weight you want to gain. Well, start with eating your normal meals now, and then ADD SHAKES in big gaps. E.g. if you normally eat lunch at noon, dinner at 7, then bed at 11, try adding a shake at 4 and a shake at 10. That helps make sure the shake is "extra" calories rather than replacing calories at a meal.

There are vast books written about your question "best exercises to bulk up". Too hard to cover it all here BUT ...

In general to bulk up, lift compound joint exercises for 3 to 4 sets in a range where you reach failure (can NOT do another rep) in the 8 to 15 rep range. Compound mass building exercises are ones like:

Deadlifts
    Squats
    bench press
    pull ups
    heavy rows

Think about it, the squat works over 50% of the muscle mass in your whole body, hams, glutes, quads, back, etc.. A concentration curl works the bicep. Which one is going to make you overall bigger faster? yep, squat > concentration curl for overall mass gain.

GOOD LUCK!
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OK Here you go

Only basics Bench Press, Squats, Military Press, Heavy T Bar Row. Cardio should be done to help with fat burning.

You are going to have to max out you weight you should only be finishing about 3 Reps for Five Sets at most, anything more you are either a best or you going to light.

Four Day Split should do it for you.

Now here is the hard part you are going to have have to eat about 5000 calories above your Basic intake and make sure you are getting 8 hours of sleep a night (This is Key cant stress it enough) and also make sure you are getting enough water (essential).

Most Kick *kitten* Exercise you can do is Heavy Squats, the more you can squat the more you are going to be able to press , the more you can press the bigger you are going to get. Concentrate on your Heavy Squats!!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Now here is the hard part you are going to have have to eat about 5000 calories above your Basic intake and make sure you are getting 8 hours of sleep a night (This is Key cant stress it enough) and also make sure you are getting enough water (essential).
    Huh!?! 5000 cals above intake...a day? a week? that number seems a bit dubious without context or any data to back that up with.

For basic lifts...

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

A little about lean gains/bulking...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • xsix
    Options
    I have been lifiting since I was 16 and was a hard gainer, from experience it took me 5000 calories above my standard daily intake at that time to put on any weight. Had to resort to Met-Rx and Weight Gainer to generate the extra calories in order to pack on the mass at my best I was 275 and able to squat well over 900 pounds. Now I need to go in the other direction because im getting older :)
  • xsix
    Options
    Oh and the best possible book imho is http://www.saveontextbooks.net/textbooks/isbn/buyback/0684843749?gclid=CNyf9q3Ix7kCFeqDQgodVHoAPg
    The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised (Paperback Edition edition) Arnie covers everything you could possibly want to know about lifting in this book, it kicks *kitten*. You can find it online for free if you know where to look :P