False Guilt when Buying Healthy Stuff

Hiya! Does anyone else feel guilty when they spend money on items to help them accomplish their goals? Like buying meal prep items or healthy food or workout clothes?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Do you have it in your budget? What do you mean by meal prep items? Or healthy foods for that matter? When my workout clothes wear out, I buy new ones.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited January 2019
    Nope. Never. It’s an investment in my future health, fitness and happiness, why would you feel guilty about taking care of yourself?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Your list makes it seem like you might be buying gadgets and gimmicks, which is fine if they are in your budget and help motivate you. If you think you need fancy things for meal prep and special foods to be healthy, you may be making things over complicated.

You don't need anything special for meal prep and healthy foods can be any price: beans are cheap. I wear $15 Costco travel pants most days. They look a bit like trousers, but have enough give that I can do yoga.

If, on the other hand, you are saying that you don't have basic kitchen gear and it isn't in your budget, look at Goodwill, also a good place for workout gear.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Yes - because where I live we have few options for grocery stores and eating healthy seems so expensive. I know that in the long run, avoiding fast food options and eating out is saving me loads, but when I get a cartful of veggies and other whole foods and spend $100 it always gives me a shock.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I don't know why any of that would cause guilt...call me confused.

What are "meal prep items"...what foods are you buying that are "healthy" but causing guilt? I've never known veggies, fruit, lean proteins, healthy fats, etc to cause guilt for anyone.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,522 Member
    I got into clothes that were soon too big. Best money I ever spent.

Now that I think of it, since I would have likely died or been a serious medical mess, my family has made a lot of money from my weight loss. Think long term.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    lustymads wrote: »
    Yes - because where I live we have few options for grocery stores and eating healthy seems so expensive. I know that in the long run, avoiding fast food options and eating out is saving me loads, but when I get a cartful of veggies and other whole foods and spend $100 it always gives me a shock.

Are you getting lots of specialty items and out of season produce? I tend to spend less when I'm eating healthier - eggs, rice, beans, the value tub of yogurt, cabbage, potatoes, apples, lentils, cans of tuna. It's all my treats (like Oreos, Talenti, and Dove) that ramp up the total!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ee2368 wrote: »
    Hiya! Does anyone else feel guilty when they spend money on items to help them accomplish their goals? Like buying meal prep items or healthy food or workout clothes?

Not in the slightest.

Is money tight at home?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Certainly not guilty. I unfortunately have spent money on far more wasteful pursuits.

Having said that, if you are spending a lot of money on these things, you don't need to. You can choose to if you find that excitement helps, but it's not necessary.
  • ee2368
    ee2368 Posts: 85 Member
    I’m not talking about gimmicks. I just don’t like spending money. For meal prep, I mean the containers you use to store food for the week. For healthy food, I’m referring to fresh fruits and veggies. I often find them to be more expensive than what I had in mind. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    I’m not talking about gimmicks. I just don’t like spending money. For meal prep, I mean the containers you use to store food for the week. For healthy food, I’m referring to fresh fruits and veggies. I often find them to be more expensive than what I had in mind. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places?

If you don't like spending money, don't, but since when was tupperware expensive?! Buy tinned fruit and frozen veg if it bothers you that much...
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lustymads wrote: »

Are you getting lots of specialty items and out of season produce? I tend to spend less when I'm eating healthier - eggs, rice, beans, the value tub of yogurt, cabbage, potatoes, apples, lentils, cans of tuna. It's all my treats (like Oreos, Talenti, and Dove) that ramp up the total!

I usually buy a lot at a time cause I live 30 miles from the store! The time I'm thinking of, I recall buying fresh lettuce and spinach, a few loaves of bread, maybe 25 bags of steamable frozen veggies (not the cheapest way to go) and a few specialty items like a $5 bag of chia seeds.
    I always get veggies regardless of season but fruit I get when it's in season.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

We store food in yogurt containers and deli meat containers. They come free with the food we already eat. Frozen fruits and veggies are often much cheaper than fresh, with the same nutritional content.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Well, once I discovered that for some weird reason, my cat was nibbling on the foam rubber crumbs that broke off of my yoga mat and I Googled and discovered 1) it's not unusual and 2) it can cause an intestinal blockage, I felt guilty for not stopping him sooner. But replacing the mat? No guilt whatsoever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

What kind of fruits and veg are you buying? In season fruits and vegetables are going to be cheaper than out of season. Also, "normal" vegetables and fruits are going to be cheaper than more exotic varieties...ie green cabbage vs bok choy or something...gala apples vs mango.

I pretty much stick to cheaper, hardier vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, etc. We're pretty basic on fruit as well...mostly apples and bananas and we buy frozen blueberries to put in our oats at breakfast.

Frozen veg and fruit is often cheaper than fresh as well. Also, nutritious things like oats, legumes, lentils, root vegetables, etc are pretty cheap.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited January 2019
    yes. I was not raised to take care of myself...its not in my mentality - I was raised w a mentality of deprivation - so yes I get it - and I push through it again and again and again. I raised my kids differently o:)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    Nope... but I am single, well not married, with no kids... except me... lol
  • jbauer0010
    jbauer0010 Posts: 12 Member
    Yes. I tend to fall into "Money I spend on myself, even in the pursuit for health takes away from my son". When I buy nuts I feel guilty because he can't even eat them so I'm buying them for myself. Almond flour? Me. Almond milk? Me. Shakes for weight loss. Def me. I suppose there has to be a bit of selfishness when trying to change your life/body/habits but for people that are normally strict givers, it's difficult IMO
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member

Look for the fruits and veggies that are in season. Buy frozen for anything out of season - it has the same nutritional value and won't go bad as quickly. Look in your area for an Asian market. They often have produce at a fraction of the price. It often is ripe or just about overripe so only buy what you will use within a day or two or you can freeze. Buy whole fruits and vegetables, not prepared - you pay a ton of extra money for someone else to slice those apples for you. Don't be duped into thinking you have to buy organic or non-gmo for it to be healthy. You get the same nutritional value from non organic spinach as you do for organic. Get an app on your phone that compares prices at different stores (Shopular, Shop Savvy, etc.)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    I understand what you mean. I now have plenty of money to purchase organic foods which cost more.. but that sensible side that budgeted throughout life's goals steps in and wags its finger...tisk tisk - every time I do.

I've just changed my mind set.. that spending money on my health is money well spent..but it still takes effort and does not feel natural yet. I think in time it will.

As for workout clothes.. I still keep telling myself I'll invest in some stylish items..

I did finally purchase some NIKE shoes at the flagship store in NYC last month. They were pricy... but I have never had my feel feel so fabulous in my life. It has really taught me that you get what you pay for. Ive suffered for years with outlet store, and amazon tennis shoes. Never again.